Song of the Week volunteers/schedule

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Song of the Week volunteers/schedule

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:41 am

Folks,

Last month we talked about resurrecting the Song of the Week (see below) after The Day After Everything Changed was officially released. Let's start next Monday. Shall we go through the songs chronologically? I'm happy to do whatever you all prefer....but I would appreciate having different individuals start the discussion each week. Any volunteers for next week? Shall I make a schedule like we've had in the past?

1. Annalee = MonicaR (Jan. 18, 2010)
2. Rose Tattoo = Patti (Jan. 25, 2010)
3. River Road = Sue Ellen (Feb. 1, 2010)
4. The Day After Everything Changed = AndaleOrbea(akaDean) (Feb. 8, 2010)
5. Lights of Vegas = KarenZ (Feb. 15, 2010)
6. Hurricane Angel = Becky (Feb. 22, 2010)
7. Heaven is Where You Are = KarenZ (Mar. 1, 2010)
8. Dragonfly = KarenZ (Mar. 8, 2010)
9. Sometime, Someplace = PaddyinthePub (Mar. 15, 2010)
10. Once Upon a Summertime = KarenZ (Mar. 22, 2010)
11. Waking Up to Me = PotatoPicker (Mar. 29, 2010)
12. Walking After Midnight/Change = Jela (Apr. 5, 2010)
13. Cotton's Burning = SueEllen (Apr. 12, 2010)
14. Paper Dolls = Jela (Apr. 19, 2010)
15. Nothing Left to Take = PotatoPicker (May 3, 2010)

KarenZ

KarenZ wrote:Folks,

There was some discussion in the thread started in the Breakin' Through the Radio Forum about the new CD when the fundraisers received their copy.....but how 'bout if we resurrect the Song of the Week after the CD's official release date in January?

KarenZ
Richard + Jela wrote:No we haven't yet started discussing the new CD...perhaps we will in the New Year?
Jela
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Re: Song of the Week beginning Jan. 18, 2010

Postby monicar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:53 am

I'd LOVE to take Annalee!!!!! I have a funny story about that song that I don't think I have shared with you all.

I like the chronological order idea!

Monica R.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:21 pm

I've been waiting all year for this ! :)

I think taking them in order through the CD might be the simplest.

I can volunteer for any you want Karen (let me know by Sunday night), though I am partial right now to Waking Up To Me and Nothing Left To Take. But whatever I can do to help out......
Jeff

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:27 pm

I'd like to take 'Paper Dolls' please.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:46 pm

OK....chronological order it is. MonicaR, you're up first with Annalee. :)
I hope others out there will volunteer! Just tell us what your interpretation of the song is and/or what you like/dislike. Don't fret too much about it. There's no right or wrong; good or bad. This will serve as an opportunity for the core purpose of the discussion board to come forth - to discuss! :)

I edited the list above and added names of volunteers.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:17 pm

And if someone wants to take one of the two I have chosen feel free - I wasn't trying to hog all the songs :) Though I am more than willing to say a few words about them both.....
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:23 pm

Jeff, it's not a problem since everyone can chime in on the discussions.....so you're not being a hog at all. :)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:20 pm

I will take Rose Tattoo, week 2.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:34 pm

Excellent! You're on the schedule! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:18 am

Pam and I have already had a few discussions/debates on this and I would love to lead the discussion on this one. We may even get her to take some time away from her busy schedule (debating me :P ) to chime in here. She signed on to the forum last year with the clever handle of mrspaddyinthepub...:shock: :oops:....So much for stealth and anonymity. :P

Sometime, Someplace rocks!!!

8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:41 am

Mr. and possibly Mrs. Paddy it is! :)

Thanks for volunteering!

KarenZ

Becky

Postby Becky » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:48 pm

Karen and all,
I'm not sure if I'm worthy...it's such a heavy topic....but I just returned from my first visit to New Orleans and would be glad to lead off the discussion of "Hurricane Angel" if no one else with more knowledge and insight volunteers for this song. I'm still just haunted by all that I saw in the Lower 9th Ward.

Becky

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:58 pm

Becky,

Of course you're worthy! :) I've put you on the schedule....and put myself down for "Dragonfly".

Thanks everyone!

KarenZ

Becky wrote:Karen and all,
I'm not sure if I'm worthy...it's such a heavy topic....but I just returned from my first visit to New Orleans and would be glad to lead off the discussion of "Hurricane Angel" if no one else with more knowledge and insight volunteers for this song. I'm still just haunted by all that I saw in the Lower 9th Ward.

Becky

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:49 am

I'd be willing to take the title track :)

Thank KarenZ. This should be fun
db

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:31 pm

Dean,

Thank YOU! You're on the schedule! :)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Re: Song of the Week volunteers/schedule

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:33 am

I'll take Cotton's Burning.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:09 am

Thanks Sue Ellen! You're on the schedule! :)

KarenZ
Sue Ellen wrote:I'll take Cotton's Burning.

Sue Ellen

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:25 pm

Folks,

Is there a volunteer out there to start a discussion next Monday for "River Road"? Now's your chance! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:40 am

Yay! We have a volunteer for next week! Thanks Sue Ellen! :)

Only four songs still in need of a volunteer to start the discussion, so please consider doing so! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:31 pm

Karen I just went to the lyrics page song play page for River Road for a quick listen with the headphones on and while I love this song and enjoyed it again just now I also want to say that it's a little unsettling to listen along to the song and how the lyrics don't match exactly. I only say this because I feel newbies arrive daily to the site and might think there's less than earnest attempts to take the time and get this right. I know songs go thru lyric changes and all.....but this release has been out long enough I think to say that Ellis has given his final answer. :P Who Wants Ellis to be a Millionaire? I know I do. Thanks Sue for grabbing the reins for River Road and thanks Karen for all you do, too. One last thing, have we lost the FONT COLOUR option to the right? Noticed a while back there were no colors to choose from. Thx again.

Paddy, here's an example of how to change font color.

Here's me green with envy that you knew it was this easy.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:20 pm

Paddy,

I'm gonna have to start calling you eagle-eye. ;-) I cut and pasted the lyrics with what I had transcribed, so I hope it's more to your liking. :)

Regarding the font color.....I noticed that recently too and have been meaning to e-mail slab about it. Sorry about that. (I think it must have happened when the website went through the re-design.) In the meantime you can simply type color=red (or whatever color you want) between brackets then close the color again between brackets. Do you know what I mean? I'll e-mail slab though and see if he can fix the problem.

OK.....I edited your post above with an example of how to change font color. If you go in and pretend to edit your post above, you'll see how it's done. :-)

Thanks, eagle-eye! :-)

KarenZ
paddyinthepub wrote:Karen I just went to the lyrics page song play page for River Road for a quick listen with the headphones on and while I love this song and enjoyed it again just now I also want to say that it's a little unsettling to listen along to the song and how the lyrics don't match exactly. I only say this because I feel newbies arrive daily to the site and might think there's less than earnest attempts to take the time and get this right. I know songs go thru lyric changes and all.....but this release has been out long enough I think to say that Ellis has given his final answer. :P Who Wants Ellis to be a Millionaire? I know I do. Thanks Sue for grabbing the reins for River Road and thanks Karen for all you do, too. One last thing, have we lost the FONT COLOUR option to the right? Noticed a while back there were no colors to choose from. Thx again.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:41 pm

color is red color is red may day mayday bracket open bracket close back slash help kelp help please......Karen, just havin fun there....

But seriously, just listened again to River Road. The new lyrics look great thanks for doing that tonight BUT I have a new problem. I'm listening again tonight and at the top of the song you have the lyric EXACTLY as I always thought it should be ONLY I hear it different NOW

The line is:

There's a golden moon, risin in the fields

But I'm hearing:

There's a golden room.......risin in the fields
There's a golden ruin.........risin in the fields

I always thought it was moon, too.

But it's not a "M" sound at the word.....

It's an "R" sound....room or ruin or r????

Help!
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:34 am

Leave to mrspaddyinthepub to figure this one out first time thru....

There's a golden road, risin in the field

:roll:

:lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:41 pm

Paddy and all,

Slab says:
phpBB is using depricated code, no longer recognized by new browsers to show the background color choices. they are still there, but they don't have any color in them. An upgrade might help.

I choose NOT to go through another upgrade. We can live with it as is....especially now that you know how to manually type the font color code. :-)

Karen

paddyinthepub wrote:One last thing, have we lost the FONT COLOUR option to the right? Noticed a while back there were no colors to choose from. Thx again.

Paddy, here's an example of how to change font color.

Here's me green with envy that you knew it was this easy.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:12 am

Folks,

:oops: I keep forgetting to send PotatoPicker a reminder that he's up to bat this week for our last Song of the Week. I just finally remembered, so hopefully he'll get something posted. :-)

KarenZ

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”