The Day After Everything Changed (new CD)

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

The Day After Everything Changed (new CD)

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:30 am

Folks,

Since Paddy asked, here's the tracklist for the new CD:

1. Anna Lee (Kristian Bush on harmony)
2. Rose Tattoo
3. River Road
4. Lights of Vegas (new even to EP Devotees!)
5. Hurricane Angel
6. The Day After Everything Changed
7. Heaven is Where You Are
8. Dragonfly/Was it You (not sure what EP chose as title)
9. Sometime Someplace (another new one for EP Devotees!)
10. Walking After Midnight/Change
11. Summertime
12. Waking Up to Me
13. Cotton's Burning
14. Paper Dolls (duet with Kristian Bush)
15. Nothing Left to Take

Fifteen tracks! Can I get an Amen?? :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Re: The Day After Everything Changed (new CD)

Postby bonuela » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:40 am

I sure hope he mentions his song naming process when he writes in the liner notes about Nothing Left To Take. :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:42 am

Bonnie,

Wasn't your suggested song title "Like A Song I'd Like to Crank You"? ;) (Even though EP blamed me for that!) :D

KarenZ
bonuela wrote:I sure hope he mentions his song naming process when he writes in the liner notes about Nothing Left To Take. :mrgreen:
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:01 am

AMEN for the A MAN

okay wondering what the post will look like since this is my first use of the bold HUGE font :wink: Though I am sure it is well deservered
Last edited by Patti on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:02 am

KarenZ wrote:Bonnie,

Wasn't your suggested song title "Like A Song I'd Like to Crank You"? ;) (Even though EP blamed me for that!) :D

KarenZ
bonuela wrote:I sure hope he mentions his song naming process when he writes in the liner notes about Nothing Left To Take. :mrgreen:

Guilty as charged and proud of it !!! :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:14 am

This morning's coffee and THIS NEWS has my squeaky old wheels greased!!! :D Karen, Thank You SO MUCH! 8)

Wow! Ask and ye shall receive around here!!!

Patti the bold new font looks great and fitting as Ellis embarks upon birthing the new CD for new fans in the making and old timers like us.

A bold new frontier awaits Ellis with the pending release of The Day After Everything Changed and ain't it great we get to bask in it right alongside him. I love this!!!

NEW SONGS NEW CD NEW ME
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:54 am

Thanks guys and gals. Patti, I love your use of the large font....and the sentiment is perfect! EP, the A-MAN! :)

KarenZ

care

Postby care » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:26 pm

YAY! i love that walking after midnight is on there. I love when he does that at the New Years Concerts at Passim

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:00 pm

A great looking list - all of the songs here that I have heard so far are wonderful.

One question - IIRC there was talk at one point that Rattle My Cage might make the cut. Did I dream that, or did it just not make it to the final list ?
Jeff

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:35 pm

I just found that you can listen to all of the new songs if you go to the lyric list, select a song lyric from the new album (like Annalee) and look to the right side of the page and... there you go... Here's the link to get you there quicker:

http://ellispaul.com/index.php?page=son ... splay=4273

now access to all the new songs... yea.

See y'all later.
db

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:55 pm

Paper Dolls is incredible.
db

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:39 am

Dean you rock, sir! Thanks for heads up..... 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:08 am

Folks,

The advance copies of the CD are being mailed out this week. Sit tight. :-)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:50 am

Finally heard Cotton's Burning

Love it and can't help hearing a lil Levon Helm in the song... 8)

And a lil bit of martyr's lounge too which totally works for me :wink:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:57 am

Advanced copies mailed this week. WOOOHOOOO!

Have to be careful blasting it down here as the houses are on top of each other, or on the other hand, maybe we'll pick up a new fan or two by blasting!!! It's worth a shot! :D

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:23 am

Who'll be the first to get their advanced copy? :P
Anyone know the official release date?
How about the unofficial release date?
Wonder when Ellis will have them with him on tour?

Blast it Monica!!! :wink:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:28 am

I think I read on Facebook that he'll have the CD available for the cruise!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:38 am

Dang I was hoping he'd have them in Pittsburgh on Saturday! :wink:

Boston Cruise sounds good, too!! 8)

Thanks MonicaR!!!
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:42 am

Paddy,

It's my understanding that he *will* have them in Pittsburgh. I hope so! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:50 am

I know that he tried to have the new CD available for Falcon Ridge (don't know if it was???) so hopefully it will be available for Pittsburgh this weekend for you :)

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:42 am

YEEHAH!!!!! ~ on that note, Karen! :D
paddy

john1977

Postby john1977 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:04 pm

hey all,

oh, man! i can't wait to get the new album! are these advance copies being sent out to everyone who donated to the production? i, unfortunately, could only donate at the lowest level so i can't remember if that level included getting the album early or not...

on a side note...i was in the local hallmark today and was thrilled to hear them playing ellis paul's "the speed of trees" album in the store...when i went to pay for my purchases i commented to the clerk that it was great to hear such great music playing in the store...he told me that he was a big ellis paul fan and that he plays his music pretty frequently and that i was the first person to comment on this...he then went on to say something like,

"i always thought ellis would get famous. it's too bad that it never happened for him."

i said, "have you heard anything from his new album yet? don't count him out just yet. i think that big things are in store for him with this album. big things."

hope everyone's well,

john

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:57 pm

Holding the new CD in my hands ... well not exactly, seeing as I'm typing, but it's in "da house!" The photography is AWESOME. Karen, do you know where the photos were taken?

I have been up since 3:00 a.m. getting in some OT, with 7 hours under my belt aready, grocery shopping done, house cleaned, laundry folded and put away, and heading back into the work routine for 4 more hours.

I am planning on crawling into bed when all is said and done with the day, with my CD player and headphones, and having Ellis serenade me to sleep!

Have fun at the show tomorrow night for those of you going!

Monica R.

mm

Postby mm » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:47 pm

I got mine too today!! What a treat to come home to after work!! Can't wait to hear it! The colors are beautiful all over on the cover.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:25 am

Monica,

According to Jack Looney, the photos were all shot in Virginia - mostly in Charlottesville and central Virginia. I'll try to get a few more details.

KarenZ

monicar wrote:The photography is AWESOME.
Karen, do you know where the photos were taken?

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:44 pm

Yes, and how lovely all those photos are!!

Was away on vacation but arrived home to find my copy in the mail!! Wahooo..... :D

jeannebruno

Postby jeannebruno » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:19 am

I got my copy this weekend! I was so happy to have it. Took a long ride from Boston to Maine. Enjoyed the CD the whole trip. I had forgotten how much I loved Rose Tattoo. So, now I cannot wait for the Harbor Cruise in Boston.
Jeannie

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:30 am

Came home from work Friday and said "Merry Christmas !" Had completely forgotten that I had a copy coming and was looking forward to picking one up at a show in the next couple of weeks.... whcih I may do anyway.
Jeff

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:12 pm

Returned home to find that special surprise in the post box! It's on constant repeat. What a nice way to end a wonderful four day weekend. Thanks y'all!

john1977

Postby john1977 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:37 pm

hey everyone,

i was also surprised to receive my copy of the new record in the mail this weekend and i am simply blown away by the scope and range of this album...from the BEAUTIFUL packaging and lyric booklet/liner notes to the brilliant production and performances found within. after about 5 or 6 straight listens, in my opinion this album is very different for ellis and its sonic textures, blanketed vocals, scattered landscapes and back road stories compile what is ellis' most diverse sounding set of songs yet...a contemporary folk masterpiece.

while i don't have the time to delve into specific thoughts on each song, for now i'll just say that "the day after everything changed" is a stunning, breathtaking and brilliant new album...i hope that many, many more people are brought to the music of ellis paul with its release...

thanks ellis!

john

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:22 am

Well our copy has winged its way across the Atlantic and landed in the letterbox this morning. Stunning photography and packaging!

Can't wait to listen to it on the CD player - ours (or should I say Richard's) has valve amps, it picks out instruments so clearly and it'll be wonderful to listen to it on that.

Jela

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:34 am

Yippee!

My copy was waiting for me when I got home last night. I think maybe I scared my new neighbor that I met by the mailboxes...I was a little too excited!

Had my first listen on the train ride in this morning, had to try really hard not to bust out in song!

I like what I've heard so far, Annalee sounds amazing! I'll have to listen a few more times before I can give any more comments though.
Susan

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:58 am

OMG! Mine arrived yesterday too! In a word - FABULOUS! :)

More later......

KarenZ

jeannebruno

Postby jeannebruno » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:59 am

Karen,

so nice that you were mentioned in the new CD.. along with all Ellis' greatest fans.....

Jeannie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:13 pm

Jeannie,

Pinch me. :-)

I've been listening to the new CD non-stop now for nearly 48 hours.....there isn't ONE track that I want to skip over. The CD is just fabulous from beginning to end. Find myself singing LOUDLY on "sometime someplace" and having my breath taken away by Antje's voice on "waking up to me". Oh my. And the strings on "paper dolls" give me goose bumps. Just a beautiful, beautiful album inside and out!

Oh! According to Ellis, the photo in the abandoned tunnel was taken near Crozet at what was - at one time - the longest tunnel in the U.S. The photography is simply gorgeous! And no freakin' jewel box to contend with! It's perfect, I tell 'ya! :)

KarenZ
jeannebruno wrote:Karen,
so nice that you were mentioned in the new CD.. along with all Ellis' greatest fans.....
Jeannie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:26 pm

Folks,

A bit more detail about two of the CD photos from Jack Looney:

1. The large window is in a Civil War era B&B in Orange, VA - pretty close to Robert Duvall's home.
2. The shot of the abandoned car was taken in Albemarle County -- closer to Charlottesville.

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:39 am

The photos are great, my favorite being the one in front of the window.

Wonder where they found an "Annalee" license plate :wink:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:05 am

Patti,

I hadn't noticed that! :oops:

KarenZ
Patti wrote: Wonder where they found an "Annalee" license plate :wink:

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:39 am

Michael and I (mostly I) have been listening to the new CD since it arrived last week. My vote goes to Rose Tattoo and Paper Dolls--amazing.

I really loved Waking Up to You on the Summer Night in Georgia CD, better than Waking Up to Me on this one--I think the kind of spooky sound at the beginning on the new CD creeps me out a little. Still, I really like that Ellis has come into his own in the love song business. He had Words, Home, and a few others, but Rose Tattoo and Waking Up to You have heartwrenchingly beautiful lyrics. Must be his muse!!

If anyone will be at High Noon Saloon in September, we'll be wearing our pins--would love to meet you!
Michael&Cathy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:51 pm

Funny how one person's spooky is another person's ethereal. I love it! :)

KarenZ
Michael&Cathy wrote:I really loved Waking Up to You on the Summer Night in Georgia CD, better than Waking Up to Me on this one--I think the kind of spooky sound at the beginning on the new CD creeps me out a little.

Michael&Cathy

Postby Michael&Cathy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:44 pm

Ethereal, yes, I can see that. Maybe I thought "spooky" cuz I'm going to the Wonewoc Spiritualist Camp tomorrow and it's been on my mind-dunno. I do know that it's great to have a new CD to ponder, though.

I think that A Summer Night in Georgia is one of the best live albums ever. Love having Calendar Man any time I please!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:03 pm

YES! Let's ponder some more together! I enjoy hearing what others think! :)

KarenZ
Michael&Cathy wrote:I do know that it's great to have a new CD to ponder, though.

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:00 pm

I love Antje's parts on Waking Up to Me - very captivating! And worth pondering... much.

Elaine and I are planning to be in Madison for the show. Perhaps we can meet up too.
Dean

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:58 am

Put the new CD on my IPOD :D The genre category is country :?: (AJF is called folk..)

dd53grif

Postby dd53grif » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:55 pm

Just wanted to say that the new CD is excellent. I may never take it out of the car's CD player. First EP song I ever heard was The World Ain't Slowing Down. I was hooked from then on. Heaven's Wherever You Are had the same effect on me that The World did. Every song on the CD is a winner. Can't wait to hear them live in St Louis in December.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:36 am

dd53grif,

Welcome! And thanks for taking the time to let us know how much you like the new CD! Hope there will be a show within striking distance before December! :)

KarenZ

dd53grif wrote:Just wanted to say that the new CD is excellent. I may never take it out of the car's CD player. First EP song I ever heard was The World Ain't Slowing Down. I was hooked from then on. Heaven's Wherever You Are had the same effect on me that The World did. Every song on the CD is a winner. Can't wait to hear them live in St Louis in December.

care

Postby care » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:29 am

does ANYONE have any info on when it will be released publically? i dont think i'm going to get to a show until october and reading everyones posts and listening to ellis plug it on line - i am DYING to get my hands on it!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:43 am

Folks,

A little tidbit about one of my favorite songs on the new CD "sometime someplace" - a song that prompts me to crank the volume up and sing loudly! :-) ("Like a song I'd like to crank you.") ;-)

Anyway.....Miller's is a well-known bar/music venue in Charlottesville....and the line about a ghost of a horn player in the corner is a reference to LeRoi Moore - Dave Matthews Band saxophonist from Charlottesville who tragically died last August as a result of injuries he received in an ATV accident. LeRoi and Dave met when Dave tended bar at Miller's....and it was during that time (1991) that Dave founded the band.

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:27 pm

care,

For now the new CD will be available at shows only. It may be a month or so before it willbe available on the website and other online outlets. I know it's tough to be patient.....but it will so be worth the wait! :)

In the meantime, you can listen to a few songs on Radio Free Ellis or on American Songspace.

KarenZ
care wrote:does ANYONE have any info on when it will be released publically? i dont think i'm going to get to a show until october and reading everyones posts and listening to ellis plug it on line - i am DYING to get my hands on it!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:15 am

Way back when we were discussing what we'd like to see on the new CD we said....
So, in the new unrecorded song category we have…

Rose in a Cage
Cotton’s Burning
If I Could Catch the Rain
The Day the Levee Broke (aka Hurricane Angel)
Where the River Rolls (aka River Road?)
Once Upon a Summertime
The Day After Everything Changed
Little Wood Guitar
Calendar Man
Nothing Left to Take (like how I slipped the alternative title in there?)
Snow in Austin
Paper Dolls
Waking Up to Me
Jamiel Shaw

In the old but as yet unrecorded song category we have…

Rattle My Cage
Everything’s Broken
Rainy Season
Bryant Street

In the highly desired cover tune category we have…

Let it Be (w/ Flynn)
I Can’t Make You Love Me (just Ellis and guitar)
The Night Hank Williams Came to Town
Walking After Midnight/Change (Sam Baker Medley)
Minor Key (w/ Antje)
Two Bends in the Road
No Sympathy
Dear Prudence
Hard Travelin'

And in the brand new "not in a million years" and/or previously recorded but we’d like to hear it differently category...

This Old Car (live)
Welcome Home to Maine (just Ellis and Guitar)

Any thoughts about naming this perfect creation of ours, I mean Ellis'?

so I thought that it would be interesting to see which of 'our' choices made it so I've highlighted those. We didn't do so bad did we?

Jela

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”