The Day After Everything Changed (new CD)

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: The Day After Everything Changed (new CD)

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:37 am

Jela,

Thanks for the flashback! Except for the exclusion of the live version of "this old car", I'm happy. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:28 am

Thanks Jela

I thought the River Road was a version of that song.. I was trying to find it on the lyric page or my IPOD I know I have it somewhere...
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:48 am

Speaking of "River Road".....I love the line "Would you like to know just how it feels to trade your wings in on some wheels." I think it might be my favorite line on the whole disc. Especially since "Like a song I'd like to crank you" is gone. Hee.....hee.....hee.....(I guess we're never gonna let EP live that one down.) ;)

Any other favorite lines out there? :)

KarenZ

Patti wrote:Thanks Jela

I thought the River Road was a version of that song.. I was trying to find it on the lyric page or my IPOD I know I have it somewhere...
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:19 am

KarenZ wrote: Especially since "Like a song I'd like to crank you" is gone. Hee.....hee.....hee.....(I guess we're never gonna let EP live that one down.) ;)

i know i'm not letting that one go. :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

pre10der

Postby pre10der » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:18 pm

Great time for some new music. I got the new CD in the the mail but I've been so busy I forgot to checkl. My wife put it in my mail basket where it sat for a week.

I've heard so many of these songs (Annalee, Rose Tattoo, Hurricane Angel, Walking After Midnight/Change, Summertime, Waking Up to Me, Day After Everything Changed) at shows and on live albums (Eddies Attic & Schubas) that they don't seem new. Since I know those songs better, I'd say they are my favorites (Rose Tattoo the most) right now but that may change as I become more familiar with the other songs.

I do miss "If I could Catch The Rain". That's a great song. :D

The packaging from this album is AWESOME! You can tell that Ellis took great pride in it's design. Its amazing how much nicer it is when Ellis has more say. I sure am glad that I got in on this fan funded CD and recieved an early release copy. By the time he gets back to Chicago I'll have had it for a couple of months.

Jean Fogelberg also released a new album by Dan Fogelberg, it's called Love In Time. A few songs from his archives but most of the work was done the last couple of years before he passed away from cancer. It's an excellent album only available in mp3 right now, the CD will be released in late Sept. RIP Dan!!

Take It Easy
Tim

Hyrafan

Postby Hyrafan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:08 pm

I'm glad to see that Kristian's on this one with Ellis! Kristian+Ellis= AWESOME! Man I heard Kristian's original Lights of Vegas a while ago (which I'm assuming they're the same ones). Can't wait to hear Ellis' version.
"You pour me out just to get your fill/ Now it's all over, your cup has spilled" Andrew Hyra's Spill

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:38 pm

Karen posted about LeRoi Moore a while back. in reference to Somewhere Someplace. I happened to be rereading it earlier today.. then tonight the story from Dave Matthews was in the headline news, online,. I hope the link works..

Dave Matthews Remembers LeRoi Moore in Intimate Chat

KarenZ wrote:Miller's is a well-known bar/music venue in Charlottesville....and the line about a ghost of a horn player in the corner is a reference to LeRoi Moore - Dave Matthews Band saxophonist from Charlottesville who tragically died last August as a result of injuries he received in an ATV accident. LeRoi and Dave met when Dave tended bar at Miller's....and it was during that time (1991) that Dave founded the band.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:31 pm

The new CD is chock full of great tunes and this one in particular stayed on repeat for a good long while in the car!

Kept thinking the ghost of a rock star blowin his horn in the corner was Ellis paying homage to Miles Davis but then again I remember early talks about Miller's connection to C'Ville, Va. and something about homage to Dave's horn player. Just forgot to connects the gray dots while getting carried away in this song.....trying to figure out who was who and what was what....GREAT SONG!

Thanks for the link, Patti. 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:52 am

More musings about the new CD on the blog - I am really enjoying reading Ellis' own thoughts about the songs.

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:03 pm

You've got to check this out! Short but very, very sweet

Ellis' Leap of Faith

Jela

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:30 am

Way cool ! ! !
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:19 am

Here's EP with The Blue Betty (as DonCon called her) back in her younger days.....before she was jumping into lakes. :) I snapped this at Gettysburg College on Jan. 27, 1999. We've all aged quite a bit since then, but Blue Betty looks the same. ;)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:26 pm

Blue Betty looked green to me on the artwork????

Nice photo!

Jela

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:25 am

It came to me while running early (way early) one morning (about 9/10 a.m. Richard and Jela Time). If "The Day After Everything Changed" was a country album, it would be called "Hurricane Angels and Honeysuckle Heartache."

SE
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:27 pm

You tube of New Song and Mike Kelly Guitars

My favorite off of TDAEC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPRmezEvYUI

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:44 am

Here's a question: when you listen to Annalee, are you reminded of Welcome Home to Maine?
-Katie

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”