Song of the Week - June 24, 2008 - The Star Inside My Apple

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Song of the Week - June 24, 2008 - The Star Inside My Apple

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:55 pm

The Star Inside the Apple

There's a star inside my apple
I know it's hard to grapple
but if you cut it side to side
there's a star alone, no lie.
And in my star inside my apple
are sleepy little seeds
and in those seeds found in my star
are could-be apple trees.

Out in the ground, I'll put my seeds
and an apple tree will grow
And in that tree soon will be apples,
red or gold with stars and seeds and apple trees
for people, birds, bears and bees,
For months, for years, for centuries
And on and on it goes you see
And on and on it goes.

Here we are nearing the end of our Song of the Week chats for Dragonfly Races (only one more to go) and it's fitting that we have a poem to discuss. Afterall, the man is a poet. 8)

This might be the sleeper track on the record for a good number of Ellis' target audience here. While some might enjoy it for a good number of reasons something tells me it's a favorite among the wee little ones most of all. While most of us will dive into an apple without giving the star inside a second thought, you can bet some parents are hearing their children now saying "show me the star, mommy/daddy, show me the star!"

The Star Inside My Apple, one ya might take for granted, but shouldn't, as there's a lesson there for everyone. :wink:

"Well, How do ya like them apples!" -- Matt Damon in "Good Will Hunting"

Howdya like them apples, indeed! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:51 pm

I'm glad Ellis included a poem on the CD to showcase another of his many talents. Also, poetry is used a lot in early childhood school lessons (art and English) so hopefully in the next few years lots of little voices will be telling their teachers "that they know a new poem about an apple".
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:13 pm

Couldn't help but wonder about Johnny Appleseed here..... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Appleseed
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:33 am

Patti,

I agree! :)

I like the concept of infinity....that nothing ends.....it simply changes form. (Another science lesson!) There's something comforting about that.

It's a sweet, sweet poem. :)

KarenZ

Patti wrote:I'm glad Ellis included a poem on the CD to showcase another of his many talents. Also, poetry is used a lot in early childhood school lessons (art and English) so hopefully in the next few years lots of little voices will be telling their teachers "that they know a new poem about an apple".
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:09 pm

When I hear this poem it always reminds me of the time years ago when my niece was was about five years old (she's now early 30's) ate an apple including the core and I jokingly said to her that if you ate the pips then an apple tree would grow inside of you - to my complete mortification she believed me!

I certainly learned a lesson that day in terms of how children take what you say very literally. I did have a job persuading her that it was just a joke and I think I ate an apple, pips and all to prove to her that it wasn't true!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:44 am

Jela,

I've never heard the word "pips" used for apple seeds before.....only with Gladys Knight. :D

Thanks (again!) for the education! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:28 am

My Grandma used the word "pips", and her parents were English.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:05 am

We need to find out how the seeds inside the apple came to be called "pips". I like it! :)

I think I'll go do a Bewley's now. ;)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:17 pm

Gotta love the Wikipedia!!

Pips are small but easily countable items. It is used to describe the dots on dominoes, dice, denote suits, and is the name for the seeds of fruit. It could be used as a synonym for dot in most situations, for example morse code.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:00 pm

Thanks Bonnie! You're a good researcher. :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:28 pm

KarenZ wrote:Thanks Bonnie! You're a good researcher. :)

KarenZ

Of course I always thought it came from the "ppppttt" noise you make when you spit watermelon pips. :D

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:30 pm

Just think September 26th could have been known as Johnny Applepips Day :lol: .

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:31 pm

Or Johnny AppleStar day. ;)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:33 pm

Okay and I just have to include this link cuz I thought it was pretty funny, and it is a great song. I know that the "pips" in the video donated money to a charity if you downloaded this video...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iM-t3aC3GeA

I hope the link works :)

Hmm... how do you get the links to be a hyperlink???

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:43 pm

OMG Patti! That is hilarious! I laughed out loud! Jack Black was a riot! :D

Obviously, you know how to post a link. Just type it, girl. ;)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:00 pm

That video clip is so funny.....I didn't recognise Robert Downey Jr until I read the review comments - I love the way they are dressed especially those huge velvet bow ties. Doesn't Gladys Knight look great???

Appleseeds? I've never known them to be called anything other than pips - just shows once again how our supposedly common language differs.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:17 pm

Jela,

I wouldn't have recognized him either! Oh my GAWD, I had to watch that video again and am sitting here laughing hysterically! :lol:

Gladys Knight LOOKS great and SOUNDS great! :D

Karenz

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:13 pm

In the link to the video there is a list of other videos on the side. I think the "original" Pips are in one of them from the original video from 1973...

Earlier today I came across the word pip in a book I am reading. They def. weren't talking about apples so I need to go back and find it to see if it matches the Wikipedia definition. I am enjoying the book " The Prize Winner from Defiance Ohio".. a true story.. I will rent the movie after I finish the book

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:36 pm

As so often is the case, Ellis trivia can be found almost anywhere. A prime example is in this video with the modern day "pips". I guess it is not so much trivia as a connection, kind of like six degrees to Ellis Paul. :wink: Any guesses? :D

Perhaps we should give Gladys her own thread :lol:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:41 pm

How about the fact that Jack Black starred in the movie Shallow Hal featuring Ellis' song "sweet mistakes"? ;)

Do I win a prize, Patti?

I want a prize and I want it NOW! :D

VerucaS

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:50 pm

BINGO!! That is correct, but there is a "similiar connection" with another pip, but it is a degree or two removed, !! For the prize I will you give you a ribbon and a chance to come up with the next six degree word :P

Okay and speaking of prizes I have to say I really enjoyed the book"The Prize Winner from Defiance Ohio" Winning contests for making up company jingles and such back in the 40-60's used to net some pretty big prizes. It really was an entire industry and you needed skill and talent to win. That all changed when "sweepstakes" became the norm. Anyway Karen I like your "contests" way better.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:39 pm

Well this got me intrigued so I did some research and the best that I can come up with is that the actor Justin Theroux starred in 'The Legend of Lucy Keyes' for which Ellis (and Flynn) wrote a song and Theroux also starred in two other films alongside Ben Stiller (one of the other pips) 'Zoolander' and 'Duplex'

Am I close?

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:02 pm

I didn't know that connection but I was thinking about Ben Stiller being in another Farrely Brothers movie. I originally thought of Ben being in Something About Mary, the first Farrelly brother movie, after that I remembered that Jack Black was in Shallow Hal. Jela that was great detective work, see Ellis Paul is always only 6 degrees away. Or something like that!! Wasn't that a real game, 6 degrees to Kevin Bacon???
Incidentally, the Farrelly brothers were from Cumberland Rhode Island, not to far from my house.

Oh Karen I wish I could give you a new hard drive for a prize!!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:04 am

Yes - there was a game 6 degrees of separation to Kevin Bacon, all based on the premise that we are only six steps away from anyone in the world - it would be fun to try that out one day????

Well I don't think that we should leave out the remaining pip's connection to Ellis Paul - anyone care to take a guess at the link between them?

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:43 pm

Robert Downey Jr is in Iron Man with Gwyneth Paltrow who was in Shallow Hal with Ellis singing Sweet Mistakes.

Is there a closer connection?

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:17 am

Bonnie - that wasn't the connection I was thinking about but its a very good one - better than the one I thought of.

Robert Downey Jr played Charlie Chaplin in the film 'Chaplin' and Ellis sings about Chaplin in 'Goodbye Hollywood'

Amazing how we can come up with these 'Six Degrees of Separation' links

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:11 am

I think they were both good!!!

What are the "rules" to 6 degrees??? How could we play it on line??

Where is the contest queen when you need her? :wink:

Karen I want your hard drive fixed and I want it fixed now :lol:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:22 pm

Cool to see the connections game being played here. I just bet if one tried you could find a way to connect the dots even further....to Kevin Bacon. :lol:
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:03 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Degrees_of_Kevin_Bacon

Wikipedia does it again!!!

"We" should start a new thread and move the six degrees there...

did I say we, I meant Karen :wink: lol

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”