10-year anniversary of Carnival of Voices - July 16, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

10-year anniversary of Carnival of Voices - July 16, 2006

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:27 am

Hi everyone,

It's been 10 years since Carnival of Voices was released on July 16, 1996. The anniversary took place while I was in Oklahoma, so I'm a few days late in posting this. COV sure feels like an old comfortable shoe as I read down through the track list and look at the photographs on the CD. These were the songs I was hearing at my first EP shows. "Deliver Me" was the first EP song I ever knew. I remember well hearing it at my first show (the life changing experience) along with "Paris in a Day". "Weightless" was the first song I ever requested (and had my request granted!) at my first-ever house concert on April 26, 1998. The live version of "Weightless" that appears on Live at the Iron Horse, with Ellis introducing the song, is still one of my favorites. If you don't have that version, get it! COV will be represented by three of these songs on the soon-to-be-released Best of CD. I'm happy about that. :)

I'd love to hear your comments and/or memories regarding these songs...

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:27 am

Oh boy! This is going to be a great topic :!: :D

Oh no! Has it really been 10 years :?: :(

I'll have much more to say later, but for starters I'd like to say that this CD is special to me for so many reasons. First of all, it was the first record by Ellis Paul that I eagerly awaited the release date of. We had already fallen for his songs on Stories, went back for Say Something, and of course his one song on legacy2, ashes to dust.

Thing is, all those were simply nice surprises. We had discovered a new artist whose music we loved listening to over and over. But, we were never ever "in the know" at record release time as we were with COV.

To be perfectly honest, I was kind of anticipating a chink in the ol' armor. I said to myself this guy cannot continue to make the kind of records I can listen to start to finish any time and anywhere. He'd blown us away 3 times already and I was going to allow him to have a record that was just okay. Oh My God !!!

We could not believe what we had found.....an artist the caliber of Ellis Paul and the songs found here. And we could see him play live in intimate venues like the Mucky Duck in Houston. Folks, I was in Musical Heaven.

This album cemented the deal for me, plain and simple. I can't say how many times we played this record but it was a bunch. I'll get it out later, although, coincidentally enough, I think my wife just filled up the CD travel case for her daily drive to the office and back with some two dozen CDS and I'm pretty sure she grabbed COV to be included.

Another cool note - she travels to Seattle next month to meet up with teammates. One of the team building exercises they will perform is to have a group of people ( don't know how many ) submit their favorite all time song into a hat. The song title is pulled and everyone tries to guess which person among them submitted the song and why!!!

My wife wanted my help with this and sent me an email with her tenative list of favorite song candidates. The list was long. The list was impressive. I'm happy to report that "Weightless" from COV was on that list.

Karen, I do have that live CD from the Iron Horse which has Ellis performing "Weightless". I can't recall the nuance of the live version right now, but I do remember how much fun it was to play musical connect the dots with Ellis' intro talking about the woman who runs the bed and breakfast. I happen to be a big ol fan of Carol Elliot and Buddy Monlock since finding their music at Kerrville in '88 or so, and was quite and pleasantly surprised to learn it was about her.

And then of course there's my signature, taken from Midnight Strikes Too Soon, the song that leads off this truly wonderful Carnival Of Voices. :)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”