Song of the Week - Apr. 14, 2008 - Because It's There

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Song of the Week - Apr. 14, 2008 - Because It's There

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:03 am

Because It's There

We built a giant rocket
and we sent it to the moon
with an astronaut
a cosmonaut
a dog
and a baboon
Tell the aliens on Jupiter
that we're coming soon
and we're coming
just because the stars are there

[chorus]
Because it's there
Because it's there
Because we could
Because we should
Because we dare
Because it's there
We'll pack some flares
but we're going to the [stars, bottom, top]
because they're there

We built a little submarine
upon the ocean waves
We're taking it to the bottom
to Davey Jones' grave
Through miles and miles of jelly fish
a sailor must be brave
but he's going
just because the bottom's there

[repeat chorus]

We climbed the top of Everest
We said a silent prayer
to the ones who came before us,
who couldn't make it there
And yes, the going's treacherous
and yes, we must take care
but we're going to the top
because it's there

[final chorus]
Because it's there
Because it's there
Because we could
Because we should
Because we dare
Because it's there
We'll pack some flares
but we're going to the bottom
Going to the top
Going to the stars
because they're there
because they're there
because they're there

This is such a happy, feel-good song that I find impossible NOT to sing, clap and dance a-long with on the chorus. :) And, like all the songs on Dragonfly Races, it contains a message - this one about doing things simply for the joy of it. (I can identify with that.) ;) I also think kids love being interactive participants as they listen to the song - energetically demonstrating climbing, diving, flying. :) In addition, the song makes a terrific lead for a history lesson about George Mallory.

Great melody. Great lyrics. Exceptional to dance to. I give it an A+. :D

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:42 am

Guess I could say this about ALL of Ellis' songs so it may seem redundant to say it about this song, but I'll say it anyway:

I really like Ellis' vocal on this one. There's a certain energy to it that seems to coincide with the energy it takes to take on the challenges Ellis touches on.

There's also some production "magic" going on thanks to Flynn that sounds to me like a banjo outro that I liken to a "get 'em up lil doggie" boost which I'll liken to the "second wind" marathoner runners experience.

Great song...love the way it teaches about science and exploration and history. What a great learning tool for kids of all ages. :)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am

Another "house cleaning" song!

Karen, I wish you lived closer ....... I'd invite you over so we could dance together! HA!

The vacuum is my only other option!!!!!

Monica R

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:27 am

Thought I'd bump this up again since there have only been two replies. I know it's tough getting back into the routine of having a Song of the Week. ;)

"Things change. They change alot." :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:43 pm

I always like to see the "chance coincidences" of a musical mind at work. Whether they draw from their own body of work or grab it out of the collective music consciousness in their own head or just floating around out there in the musical world. It's little things, and maybe not even intended, but they exist nonetheless and I enjoy making the connections.

In Because it's There......change it from a little submarine to a yellow submarine and you have The Beatles. It is rare don't ya think to find a song anywhere outside these two songs that have submarines in the lyrics.

Did Mallory pray? When Ellis includes the comment that climbers say silent prayers before ascending to great heights......I thought of Galilleo, and Ellis' song "Did Galileo Pray?" Another great coincidence, and fitting, too, because of these lyrics "we're going to the stars because they're there." 8)

The space program has not exactly been front page news in a awhile and if it is it's usually of a catastophic nature. Over the years with news of unmanned exploration to the planet Mars, you might ask yourself: "what for?" -- Ellis answers the question energetically with the line saying: tell the aliens on Jupiter that we're coming soon." Folks would beg the same question and ask "why go there?"

Because it's There!!! :D
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:50 pm

Great positive message in this song and Karen I would like to respond but the spring fever has hit this week and we must go enjoy it "Becasue It's Here" FINALLY!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

annieb

Postby annieb » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:06 pm

Until last year, I taught pre-k for years and loved loved loved every second of it.

I wish I had this cd to go to back then.

This is just the kind of song I would have planned a whole unit around.....the creative possibilities are endless!!

Ellis must be the coolest most fun Dad ever don't ya think?

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:07 am

Annie

I'll quote my dear old dad and say:

"they'd have a field day with that one"

Excellent point about Dragonfly Races in the hands of teachers. :)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Folks....we're discussing Dragonfly Races one song a week from start to finish but I just wanted to add that since the forum stays open 24/7/365 that if you happen upon this thread on down the road to please feel free to jump in anytime. :D
paddy

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”