Slates - Aug 7, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

wendy

Slates - Aug 7, 2006

Postby wendy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:00 am

Hey, another show in Maine just showed up on the Tour Schedule: Ellis will be at Slates in Hallowell on Monday, Aug 7! Hooray!

So, while we can't make the grand gathering at Jonathan's, it looks like we'll still be able to get a summer EP fix!

Anyone else going?? (don't forget your lapel pins!) :D
-wendy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:25 am

Hey Wendy!!!

I will most definitely be there! I'm bringing a friend, my parents may be able to join us, and I have some other friends that may be coming as well. Maybe we could sit together, like last time?

It'll be great to see you!!!

~Lauren

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:47 am

Super, Lauren!
We've already got tickets, so you can ask to be seated with us, if you want. Lord knows they fill the place up whenever Ellis is there... :D
(and you can fill me in on the details of the Ogunquit event!) :lol:
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:13 pm

lauren and wendy,

My wife and I are both sporting our EPLP's over our hearts tonight knowing you guys are as well with this show at Slates.

Looking forward to your WORDS on the show this evening. Hope all is well and I see Karenz has found her way to a computer at last...HOWDY MissZ, and thanks again for the great time had by all in Maine. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:58 am

Oh it was a wonderful evening, as always...
Sell-out crowd, great sound, fabulous food. Slates really does know how to do these gigs right.

We saw Lauren just as soon as we walked in the door, manning the merchandise table! She and her friend Mary joined us for the show. Lauren was keeping a set list, so that's for her to post. (and when did YOU get home, Lauren? we need a sleepy face here)

Three of Ellis's aunts were in attendance, sitting toward the back, and he kept telling to BEHAVE! :lol: We got some good family stories due to their presence. There was also someone taking notes right in front; Ellis frequently asked what they'd written down... it was for an art education course of some sort (sorry, I wasn't entirely clear on how this fit into the instruction), but we got some good laughs out of those notes! (the first ones were "nice smile, great teeth!") :D

It was a fun evening, all around. And thanks for the shirt, team: Karen for providing it and getting it to Maine, Ellis for signing it, Lauren for transporting it Hallowell. Pretty cool! 8)

Even the drive home was good: very little traffic on the roads, competition for your attention from an impressive lightning storm and the full moon. Four a.m. did come too soon, however.....
-wendy

shannon

I'm hooked wendy!!!!!

Postby shannon » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:29 pm

Hey Wendy....Well I have decided to get with the times and join the discussion board, now I am stuck to my computer laughing and browsing through everyones comments....it's going to take me years to read everything and get up to speed. :D Great show and great to see you as always, not again until December??? that's awful!!!!

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:03 pm

Shannon! Hi! Great chatting with you at the show, and so glad you decided to join the board! YAY!

The show was another great. Slate's is an amazing venue - very intimate, great food, and both times I've been, there have been family contingents in the audience, so there have been family tales told.

It was a particularly special show for me, not only b/c it was the first one that I worked the Merch Table (yes, yes I did), but b/c it was the first show I've been to that EP performed my favorite tune, "Sweet Mistakes." It was so sweet, it got me all verklempt. :shock: Wonderful show!

Here's the set list:

Welcome Home To Maine
Jukebox On My Grave
Take All The Sky You Need
Alice's Champagne Palace
2 Bends In The Road (Ray Bonneville tune)
Story about his family's traditional 4th of July bonfire, and the one year when his uncle inadvertently made the old barn into the biggest (3 alarm) bonfire they ever had...
Maria's Beautiful Mess
Clarity Sung specially for his aunt. Awww...
Eighteen
Conversation With A Ghost
3,000 Miles
Snow In Austin
Blacktop Train (acoustic)
Sweet Mistakes
If You Break Down
World Ain't Slowin' Down
Encores:
Things Change (Sam Baker tune)
The Only Way (Mark Erelli tune)

Next time, Wendy, I hope we can actually chat some more!

~Lauren

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:18 am

Lauren,

Thanks for the report! Sounds like another fab show...lots of firsts for you! :D

One nice thing about the songs on Sam Baker's CD Mercy is that they all have one-word titles....so the song you heard is actually simply titled "change". Wouldn't it be nice if all artists made it that easy for us title-challenged folks? :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:53 am

Hey Shannon! It's great to see you here (finally!) :D
Now you just have to get your mom to quit lurking, too :lol:

There's still a chance that Center For Cultural Exchange show in Portland will come about, so we might not have to wait until Dec after all. Fingers crossed!

And Lauren, it's always great to see you too! That was fabulous that you got to tend the merch table. So cool 8)
Next time we'll just have to eat dinner with you out in the bar! (or else move the merch table into the dining room?)
-wendy

Return to “3000 Miles”