Stone Soup - Providence, RI - Oct. 27, 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Patti

Stone Soup - Providence, RI - Oct. 27, 2007

Postby Patti » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:40 pm

Hi All

There are tickets available for Ellis's show tonight at Stone Soup in Pawtucket RI... Just over the MA border.
I think the Paypal link is not working but THERE ARE tickets available at the door.

Stone Soup is located in the great hall of St Paul's Church with great acoustics and a couple of great watering holes in the area to catch the Red Sox game AFTER the show!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

mm

Postby mm » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:21 pm

I wish so much I could be there...still haven't figured out that trick of splitting myself in two. I have another committment tonight (not Red Sox related), but will at Ellis' CD release show in a couple weeks!

We'll be awaiting a report!

heresheis

Postby heresheis » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:46 pm

Stone Soup was most excellent. My apologies to anyone who attended for the time it took for Ellis to phone my sister for Sox info. It was a hard night with such an amazing game going on. Ellis sounded superb as always. His new material has me impatient for a new (adult) cd!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:50 pm

Patti,

Aren't you going to tell us some details about the music? (As opposed to the Red Sox scores.) ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:41 pm

I'll try a little bit later tonight but I didn't write a set list, and I did go OUT after the show to watch the rest of the game... I'll see what I can remember .

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:50 pm

What I do remember is this is the first show in a long time that Ellis did not start off with Maria Beautiful Mess, but rather on the piano.

He did a few new songs, which I am sorry I have no real recall of the lyrics except one of them mentioned Harry Truman. I'm sure if I go reread some other posts I would figure out the songs.

He also did the 2 Wabi Sabi songs, and told their meaning. Both super songs. He also did baby's first protest song, Million Camelion March. When a young 16 year old boy requested 18, Ellis was happy to oblige but unfortunately the humidity on the stage was reaking havoc with his guitar. He got through it, but he had to retune a few times. (I know humidity in October in New England??? We had the windows open in the back of the hall and it was kind of cold???
The unplugged version of Black Top Train sounded nice with the high ceiling and wood floor (tap alongs)!

He didn't do Cotton Burning which I would have liked to hear.

I just realized I should have shouted out Calendar Man..argh.. I forgot about that, because I kept saying I wanted to hear Chris McCandless but that didn't happen..

Ellis's show is usually our biggest crowd, but the Red Sox, def. take away from attendence... the house was less than full of bodies, but full of spirit (red sox) and song!!

PS Ellis was loving getting the update of the Red Sox during the show at Stone Soup. He started the night by saying he thought it was going to be just him listening to the game on the radio on the stage that night. He then started to play Take Me Out to Ballgame on the piano.!!
It was so funny that while he first took the cell phone away and gave us an update it was 3-0 then during that call Dice K hit a single and put us ahead 5-0...

Can You Say ROLLING RALLY

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:49 am

Patti - thanks for the report - sounds like a fun evening. I hope you got to hear 'The Hurt' a new song that I heard on the radio recently which sounded beautiful.

I think with the release of 'Into the Wild' Ellis ought to capitalise on that by singing 'Chris McCandless' as well as putting it on his 'My Space' page for people to down load. The movie gets released over here on 9th Nov and it got a stonking review so I hope that lots of people will go and see it.

Oh and congrats to the Red Sox!

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:12 pm

PS

I was humming a song today.. and I thought hmmm..why that song..then I remembered Ellis played it Saturday night..

The Night Hank Williams Came to Town (?)

Return to “3000 Miles”