Norman, Oklahoma - Summer Breeze - July 9, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Norman, Oklahoma - Summer Breeze - July 9, 2006

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:58 pm

Hi everyone,

The show last night at Andrews Park in Norman, OK was red HOT. The sun was shining from the west directly facing the amphitheater, resulting in Ellis and Don Conoscenti starting the 7pm show sporting sunglasses and apologizing for the rock-star look. :) At some point Ellis removed socks and shoes (Don almost always performs barefoot) in an attempt to cool down a bit, but he and Don were soaked through by show's end. According to Becky G. it was the largest crowd to turn out for a Summer Breeze show, a solid indication of Ellis' growing fan-base in Oklahoma - especially in Norman where the biggest Ellis Paul promoter in the world happens to live. ;) (That would be Becky G.) I got some neat shots of bare feet (as well as some other nice shots!) but won't be able to post them until I get home after July 17.

Since Ellis and Don were playing in Woody Guthrie's home state, they did several Woody Guthrie tunes in his honor. Lots of folks commented that they would be heading over to Okemah later in the week for the WoodyFest, where Don will be performing on Thursday night and Ellis on Friday night, both on the Pastures of Plenty main stage.

Setlist

Maria's beautitul mess
take all the sky you need
two bends in the road
the only way
3000 miles
snow in Austin
blacktop train
Minor Key
alice's champagne palace
jukebox on my grave
ring of fire
BREAK
hard travelin'
martyr's lounge
words
this land is your land (everybody on their feet for this one)
Ariana (Don with Ellis on harmony)
she was
the world ain't slowing down
my brilliant masterpiece (Don with Ellis on harmony)
sweet mistakes
ENCORE:
if you break down

Ellis and Don played a good two hours and even though it was a free show, the crowd did not diminish one bit. Another testament to their popularity.

I'm "off" for a couple days until the start of the Woody Fest this coming Wednesday night. Enjoying spending some time at Becky G's house here in Norman before we head on over to Okemah for the festival in a couple days. I'll check in again when I can.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

JayceK

Postby JayceK » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:00 pm

Yes, that show was really fun. Especially the banter between Ellis and Don, they kept everybody laughin the whole night. I think I got some really good pictures too, I'll post some later on. C'yall at Woody Fest!
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:27 pm

Hey Karen! Can't wait to see your photos from last night in Norman. I got a great pic of you with your camera taking photos of everyone else....hmm....since you always seemd to catch me off guard!!! :) What a fun night! I didn't get as many photos as I would have liked but hopefully I can shoot a few great ones this week.

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:34 am

I just thought of something that cracked me up during the Woody Guthrie Festival (I couldn't find a thread for that)....Ellis was playing The World Ain't Slowin' Down and after the first verse or so my friend leaned over and said "This makes me want to give blood"....I just cracked up!!! I guess the add worked!!! :)

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:25 pm

emilyg wrote:.Ellis was playing The World Ain't Slowin' Down and after the first verse or so my friend leaned over and said "This makes me want to give blood"....I just cracked up!!! I guess the add worked!!!

:?: :?: :?:

Did I miss something?

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:49 pm

TWASD was used in a promotional ad for a blood drive out in OK a couple of years ago. I think it was to benefit a little girl with leukemia (or some such)
Someone else surely recalls this better than I...
-wendy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:40 pm

Ahh... I was thinking that it must have been something along those lines. veddy, veddy cool. KarenZ must have a copy of that in the Archives, no?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:39 am

Lauren,

I have been unsuccessful in getting a copy of the Oklahoma Blood Institute ad featuring TWASD. :( As the old saying goes....win some, lose some. :)

KarenZ
Lauren wrote:Ahh... I was thinking that it must have been something along those lines. veddy, veddy cool. KarenZ must have a copy of that in the Archives, no?
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:03 am

Sorry to confuse everyone! His song was used in the Oklahoma Blood Institute campaign drive a year or two ago. I found a partial add so hopefully the link will work. Click on Kaylee's Story:

http://www.obi.org/patientstories/patientstories.html#

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:07 am

Oh, Emily! How sweet! Thanks! And you can hear Ellis singing! As we used to say on the old board....WOOT! :lol: :lol:

KarenZ

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:19 pm

That's wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Return to “3000 Miles”