The Stone Church - Newmarket, NH - Aug. 18, 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

The Stone Church - Newmarket, NH - Aug. 18, 2007

Postby KarenZ » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:46 pm

Folks,

Turns out Newmarket, NH is only 27 miles from Ogunquit, ME....so I'm there! Any other takers? Don't forget your EP lapel pin.... :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:13 am

Well, if you're there, I'm there. :D
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:36 am

Ow ow ouch. Someone is twisting my arm. :P

We'll see. :D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:07 am

Ok. I'll be there. I'll be the one with her arm in a sling. :P

I am bringing a newbie. He hasn't even heard Ellis on CD yet. :shock:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:39 am

A newbie! A newbie! A newbie! YEE HAW! :D

Bonnie.....you can put your EP lapel pin on your sling. It may start a new fashion trend. ;-)

I'll be the one wearing the "Jimmy LaFave Forever" tee shirt. (A PINK baby doll, I might add.) ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

mm

Postby mm » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:21 am

Yes, it was an incredibly fun and fantastic evening! I'm sure all the reports will start trickling in when folks return to their routines. We got to see Flynn in a shiny maroon shirt and hear some of his excellent new songs from the new CD, a group of devotees present, good vibes all around. Ellis was in fine form, looked and sounded great, had a lot of music and laughs to share, and it was all a terrific time. Calendar Man is a hoot, as was the special line for Karen in Jukebox, "Barry Manilow"....I couldn't stop laughing. It was so good to see everyone there and share the evening; a much needed good time!
I look forward to the others' reports and several of us took photos (maybe by next month I'll post mine!! :) ).

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:03 pm

Yes it was a fantastic night! I'm still smiling! I will post the set list, I just don't have it at this minute.

I just want to thank Ellis again for FINALLY playing Rattle My Cage, I was so excited!
Susan

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:52 pm

What a night...great music, great food, and, of course great friends. Who knew the Stone Church has the best clam chowder EVER? Flynn was a surprise, and well received, with enthusiastic cheers bringing the opener back for an encore. I'm glad I got my hands on the new cd before they were gone.

Ellis keeps getting better and better. He played some old and some new, and gave a nice sampler from the new children's cd. I always am so tickled about how Ellis looks surprised when people applaud and cheer...I can't even remember the set list, but it was great, with two encores.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:30 pm

Folks,

It was a quasi-Ogunquit reunion with the long-missing Lauren there - with her parents - two EP newbies! Bonnie's friend Pete made three EP newbies. I love newbies. :) The evening cemented my thinking that whenever Bonnie is around, Flynn can't be far behind. ;) It was great seeing MonicaM, SusanH, Lynn. And AmyF, one of the essay contest winners, was there from Scottsdale, AZ! It was nice meeting her for the first time.

No flash photography was allowed which nixed my ability to take any pix. :(

The setlist:
Flynn:
the answer's not enough
emerald dream
black is the color
heat of the sun (for Bonnie!)
be careful what yiou wish for
Encore:
Human

Ellis:
the day everything changed
alice's champagne palace
3000 miles
once upon a summertime
maria's beautiful mess
jukebox on my grave
cotton's burning
home
new song - the hurt?
blacktop train (unplugged in audience with Flynn)
million chamelaon march
the swing song (a cappella)
kiss the sun
eighteen
calendar man
she was
angel in manhattan
the world ain't slowing down
Encore 1:
let it be (with Flynn)
Encore 2:
rattle my cage (SusanH went crazy!)

Spent 3 days on the beach in Ogunquit with Sue Ellen. We also did a sailing excursion with Captain Jack on the Silver Lining out of Perkins Cove. The next day when we accidentally ;) saw Captain Jack again he told us that because we had yakked so much about Ellis Paul while we were sailing the good Captain went home and downloaded every song on Essentials from iTunes to his iPod. He said that he liked what he heard so much (was there ever any doubt?) that he played the songs on board the sailboat for 3 hours that morning. He was duly impressed by the homestate boy. Sue Ellen and I were duly impressed by Jack's first mate Jeremiah. ;) Now him I got pictures of..... more later..... :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:25 am

Jeremiah weren't no bullfrog. But he is a new Ellis Paul fan. ;)

KarenZ

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:18 am

Ooohhh Karen! Yum, yum, yum! :D And to think he likes Ellis now, too! Good work, matey!
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:18 am

He looks like the actor from Blue Lagoon!! ( but with more clothes :)

Looks like it was a beautiful day for sailing...

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:47 pm

The view was unbelievable! :lol:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:01 pm

Another new Ellis Paul fan - Captain Jack. :)

Yes, Patti, it was a perfect day for sailing with winds from the NW - a phenomenon that Captain Jack said occurs only 2 or 3 days out of the year. Look at that sky! :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:11 pm

KarenZ wrote: The evening cemented my thinking that whenever Bonnie is around, Flynn can't be far behind. ;)

You know, I have been considering a restraining order. :roll:

It was the kind of show that makes you smile for days. :mrgreen: The music is always great, but when Ellis is in a silly mood and folks fly in for the show, you get some kind of chemical reaction happening in the room. It is just wild. An 8 and a half minute version of Calendar Man was sung against Ellis' better judgement. I like to call it the anti-childrens' song. "On Mother's Day I'm gonna knock you up......." :lol: As far as I can tell, it was my first time hearing Eighteen and Angel in Manhattan live. Alice's took on a new meaning after seeing photos of the legendary place, and hearing Rachel's stories.

I might have been a little too enthusiastic when Flynn started Heat Of The Sun. I'd like to say :P to those who hung me out to dry, laughing at my reaction. You know who you are. :x :wink: That's ok, Flynn appreciated it. He played the song for me. :D

Pete seemed to have a fun time. Hopefully he'll be at Flynn's CD realease on 9/6 and Ellis' show on 9/16.
Last edited by bonuela on Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:15 pm

Argh... Karen I meant to give you my cell phone number before you left. I NEED to hear the 8 minute version of Calendar Man SOON.

I wonder if he will play this song at the WUMB festival on the 16th. Bonnie unless you know of another show for Ellis that day, you need a ticket for the festival. Check out the line up though.. Awesome.. My top 3 will all be there :)

azrangeramy

Postby azrangeramy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:51 am

Hey All,

Just got back from my NH trip... how great to be visiting family and get to see Ellis as a bonus. My mom is a HUGE fan (I take credit for that one...) and we had a blast.

So nice to finally meet you, Karen, and also the rest of you groupies hanging out w/Ellis after the show... :P

I think the best part of seeing EP in New England was that I was finally not the only one who knew all the songs and heckled EP during the show. In AZ, no one knows who he is... yet.

I think 'Calendar Man' should be a hidden track on his next CD (if not a 'regular' track)-- what do you guys think?

Amy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:53 am

AzRangerAmy.....

I can't wait to hear 'Calendar Man' when it finally arrives on CD. I've yet to really hear the song at all and sort of going by what's been talked about out here on Ellis' forum about the song.

I'm all for hidden tracks on records...so, YES, I say!! :) Plus, from what I gather of some of the "grandpa lyrics" the song contains, it might be wise of Ellis to "hide it" from the kids.... :shock:

Can't ya picture it?...... a warning label stating explicit lyrics within !!! :lol:

Get a label like that and all the kids will be buying it!!! SAY!!! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “3000 Miles”