Cactus Cafe - Austin, Texas - July 8, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Cactus Cafe - Austin, Texas - July 8, 2006

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:44 am

Howdy yall!

Hoping to hear from some of the good folks down Austin way on Ellis' show at the Cactus Cafe. I have attended only one show there my entire life and it was a memorable one. It was around the time Darden Smith released his second record, so late 80's maybe. HE had the awesome trio with Denny on Bass and the percussion maestro himself......name to be edited in later when I remember it......got it now - Paul Pearcy.

Anway, it's a venue I've seen only ONCE and remembered to this day.

Thanks in Advance for a few words on this show.

I'm thinking maybe KarenZ missed this one for travel purposes to OK. and WoodyFest. We'll see.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:33 pm

Ellis and good buddy Don Conoscenti were in rare form for the show at the Cactus Cafe in Austin on Saturday night. Sam Baker opened and towards the end of the show Ellis and Don did a Sam Baker "medley" that was just hilarious. It suffices to say that Sam and Ellis have a little love-fest going on with Sam repeatedly saying Ellis' line the angels here are up to no good could be the basis for a novel and Ellis repeatedly inserting Sam's lines times change; they change alot into several songs. You really had to be there. :)

Ellis & Don's version of Johnny Cash's "ring of fire"...with Don doing his own sign-language interpretation was inspired. :D

Setlist

jukebox on my grave
take all the sky you need
Maria's beautiful mess
3000 miles
snow in Austin
Blacktop train (with Ellis and Don standing on two chairs in the audience)
she was
Alice's champagne palace
ring of fire
BREAK
God's promise
speed of trees
Two bends in the road
conversation with a ghost (with Kristin DeWitt onharmony)
martyr's lounge
words
sweet mistakes
the world ain't slowing down
Ariana (a song of Don's with Ellis doing harmony)

It was a packed house and even thought the show didn't start till 9pm and didn't end until almost midnight, I don't think anyone left early. Great sound at the Cactus and great vibes. Another awesome and really fun show. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:00 am

Karen - thanks sounds like yet another great evening! The Cactus is a really special place - we've been a few times during our SXSW visits and I think it's fair to say that it's our favourite venue of all time.

Onwards to WoodFest for you- enjoy and look forward to hearing your reports of that.

Jela

christyT

Cactus Cafe

Postby christyT » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:31 am

Yes, indeed, i LOVE the cactus!!!

Having Sam Baker open was a pleasant surprise to me as was having DonCon as Ellis' sideman.

Ellis and Don look like they have so much fun playing together!!! I love watching the interactions between them...and Don's hand gestures (and facial expressions) to Ring of Fire had me nearly in Tears!

I'm too technologically ignorant to post photos...but will send some to the talented KarenZ who will provide them for your viewing pleasure! :D

OR -- maybe this'll work? if not...Karen will be helping me get the photos to you one way or another -- I apologize for my technological impariment! :)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.j ... ifq2p&Ux=1

christy

Return to “3000 Miles”