Plymouth (MA) Waterfront - Free Show - July 25, 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Patti

Plymouth (MA) Waterfront - Free Show - July 25, 2007

Postby Patti » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:07 am

Wednesday, July 25th, 2007 6:30 PM
Plymouth, MA
Plymouth Waterfront
Water Street
Plymouth, MA 02360

phone: 508-747-7727

On Water Street near Plymouth Rock
FREE

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:33 am

I'm planning on being there.

Patti, have you been to any of the shows there before? If so, how early do you recommend getting there?

Thanks for the help.

Monica R.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:28 pm

I'll be there!! I'm trying to bring a newbie. Along with my usual "posse". 8)
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:58 pm

I have never been there, but I do see that another performer starts at 8:00, so I hope it starts right on time at 6:30. Check out the schedule of events on the link, they have quite an impressive line up. Johnathan Edwards next week!!

I am going to be staying in the area Wednesday and Thursday, so I should be there on time... (not always easy for me!)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:21 am

Axer97 wrote:We've been planning to spend a day boating out of Plymouth Harbor for a couple of months, and decided in May that we would go out on July 25th. Imagine my surprise (and excitement) when i found out this past Saturday that Ellis would be playing on the waterfront tonight.

After spending the day boating between Plymouth and Welfleet, we arived back in time for a quick dinner and arrived at the waterfront just as Ellis was being introduced.

Wow, what a perfect end to a perfect day. We heard a good mix of old and new songs, and, despite the annoyance of both the traffic noise, a bad soud system at times, and a somewhat inattentive sound crew, Ellis did not disappoint. He did seem to be a little tired, which is understandable, but still put on a great show. I was so glad to be able to attend this show tonight.

The new songs, which I heard for the first time, did not disappoint. He played a new Civil War tune (Cotton's Burning?), Once Upon a Summertime?, and Calendar Man. I now can't wait for the next CD to be ready.

While my wife was with me tonight, I was able to share a special moment with my Sister in Delaware. I used my cell phone to to call her so she could hear Ellis play God's Promise, a song that we have both taken huge amounts of strength from over a difficult past year. I got my sister started on Ellis' music, and she has yet to see him live, so to be able to hear him live by telephone just about brought her to tears.

Thanks, Ellis, for a perfect end to a perfect day. Hopefully, we will be able to get to the Boston Folk Festival and/or Somerville theatre shows.

Steve
West Bridgewater, MA
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:21 am

Richard + Jela wrote:Steve, firstly, welcome! Thanks for the report and I hope that you'll continue to post here and also that your sister gets to see Ellis live in concert before too long.

Jela
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:26 am

Steve,

Thanks for the report. Glad you could be there. I got a call from a friend with a cell phone who was in the audience and was able to listen to "speed of trees" and "the world ain't slowing down". It was a nice break from watching The Weather Channel. ;)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:45 am

When I got back from a run last night, the first verses of "God's Promise" were on my voice mail. This song has also been a great source of strength for me over the last year.

Steve, you and your sister should definitely keep an eye out on the board. Ellis Paul has a show in Philly in October I think, and he seems to play at (oh, someone correct me if I am misinformed) at Andy's in Chestertown MD during January or February.

Sounds like it was a great show!

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:21 pm

Yes, thanks for the report, I was in Plymouth all day yesteday, but just couldn't tear myself from the beautiful beach day I was enjoying in time to clean up and get downtown for 6:30...(hearing Ellis the night before on the internet (!) was some consolation. Sorry to hear that the traffic and sound people were a dissappointment. I think that happens alot at these free summer shows, but hopefully there were some newbies that were impressed. Plymouth waterfront is a busy place for sure but also a fun place. We went on a whalewatch today, then hung around in Plymouth for awhile lots to do and see here.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:33 pm

Sorry for the delay. Darn it, but work and life have intruded on my internet time. :lol:

I was sitting in my comfy tailgating chair with my shoes off and my feet in the grass, there was bright sunshine on my face and a breeze off the ocean. What a perfect night. Oh, yeah, there was some pretty good music too. :mrgreen:

I loved hearing the new songs. While I like the new words and title for the old Summertime, I do miss my favorite lines. My new found love for Calendar Man more than makes up for it. I can't wait to hear the full adult version.

Ellis played to the folks up on the "grassy knoll". They were sitting on a huge hill across the street. Seeing as the bandstand was right at streetside, he asked to have a little less motorcycle in the monitor. :P Wondering if they were getting louder or he was getting older, he suggested they be made silent. Like a Prius.

On a personal note, those of you who know me might have seen my reaction to the beginning notes of 3000 Miles. I don't do it on purpose, but I get so excited that I can't help but do a little chair dance. This time, when I looked up, what did I see? All of my friends, and Ellis, laughing at me. A lot!! I guess I'm used to dark clubs, not sunny beach shows. :oops:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:42 pm

Bonnie, you are cracking me up! :D Sounds like a fun time. Good music too. ;)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:49 pm

P.S. no surprise Flynn sightings, but Ellis managed to stomp out a respectable Blacktop Train beat with his bare feet on the metal floor.

I know Susan wrote down the setlist.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:28 pm

Bonnie,

I was wondering if you got lucky again by having a surprise Flynn (aka Emerald Dream) ;) sighting. What a shame that Ellis had to stomp alone. (Yikes. "You'll never walk alone" just popped inot my head.) :shock:

KarenZ

danaj

Postby danaj » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:41 pm

What a shame that Ellis had to stomp alone. (Yikes. "You'll never walk alone" just popped inot my head.)

Just had to *giggle* at that one... :lol:

I don't do it on purpose, but I get so excited that I can't help but do a little chair dance.

It's also good, Bonnie, to know that I'm not the only one who does *this* either! No blushes. It's absolutely natural! (or so I keep telling myself, especially when I add a little inadvertent *squeak* to said chair dance.) :wink:
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

Return to “3000 Miles”