Club Passim - Boston - 07/07/07

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

SusanH

Club Passim - Boston - 07/07/07

Postby SusanH » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:13 pm

Anyone else going to Passim to see Ellis on this very lucky day?
Susan

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:58 pm

No. :cry:

STOP RUBBING IT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:x
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

mm

Postby mm » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:04 pm

Susan, are you going? I'll be there at the earlier one!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:59 am

Somebody better post a report! :)

I'm doing something just as fun today! I'm having new baseboard installed in my kitchen! It was so fun painting it on the 4th of July. Talk about fireworks. :shock:

I'm ready for another EP roadtrip. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

mm

Postby mm » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:05 am

Karen, there's probably still time for you to make it if you hit the road about now!!!
I'll try to phone you in a song (and Sue Ellen)...any requests (if I remember)?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:31 am

Monica, don't tempt me! :D

I'd love to hear "million chameleon march".....but really.....to an addict *anything* will do. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:56 am

There'll be 2 Monica's at the early show!!!!

Hope Passim can handle us both!!!!

Monica R.

mm

Postby mm » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:10 am

Excellent Monica R!
I'll try to get a couple show photos if close enough to the stage.
Bonnie, shall we phone you in a song? If so, PM me your number!
I just found out a couple days ago that I could go, so I'm glad the tides turned that way.

Have fun with baseboards, Karen....maybe you can post a photo of the finished result. It's pertinent if you are LISTENING to Ellis while it's being installed, you know.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:10 am

OK....I'm counting on one of the Monicas to post a setlist! :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:12 pm

I was at Passim last night. There is a photo of Ellis in their current art display.

Go ahead folks, enjoy some "Where's Waldo" while you wait for your dinner to arrive. :-)
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:27 pm

Have fun all...I'll be at a fund-raising swim-a-thon counting laps...I'm working really hard to increase my status from Slacker Mom to Alpha Mom..."Dragon Fly Races" might be kind of consistent with the theme, although 3000 miles might also work...

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:09 am

Oh Boy! I just got home, what amazing shows! I went to both and here is my report...

7:00pm show set list

Once Upon A Summertime

Maria's Beautiful Mess - during this song there was a commotion outside, if you've been to Passim you know that one wall is all windows, the club is in the basement, but looking out the windows you can see legs walking by and sometimes people bend down to see what's going on...Ellis enjoyed making faces and staring down anyone that looked in all night. While the "Oh, I see you" part of the song, someone climbed over the railing to get a bird that was stuck(?). Everybody in the club was watching, trying to figure out what was going on and Ellis sang "Oh, I see you.." many, many times.

The Day After Everything Changed

3000 miles

JukeBox on my grave

Alice's Champagne Palace

Take all the sky you need

Home

Blacktop train - unplugged

Million Chamelon March - political song for kids!

Swing - this is Ella's favourite song that Ellis has written, it was sung acapella.

God's Promise

Speed of Trees - kinda forgot the lyrics at one point

"Untitled" - This is a BRAND NEW SONG - he had two verses when he arrived tonight and finished more backstage. It was sung sitting at the piano, although it was played on the guitar, with the lyrics written out on pages spread out on the piano. This is a civil war song and I suggest either DIXIE BURNING or LONG WAY HOME for a title, Ellis. Really nice song, although I suspect it is not completed yet.

Eighteen

Sweet Mistakes

Ballad of Chris McCandless - unplugged in audience - had to stop midsong to retune guitar

Dragon Fly races

10:00pm show Set list

Once Upon a summertime

Maria's Beautiful Mess

Alice's Champagne Palace

Untitled civil war song

3000 Miles - with special guest VANCE GILBERT

Beatles' Medley - this was a wonderfull colaberation between Ellis and Vance, they had wanted to put it on the album they had together, but Sony wouldn't give them a deal on rights to the songs (about 24 diferent Beatles' songs).

Take all the sky you need

Home

Jukebox on my Grave

Martyr's Lounge

Million chamelion march

Swing

Blacktop Train - unplugged

Snow in Austin

Speed of Trees - with Vance Gilbert - including a wonderful "tree rap" by Vance, all about the trees. Too funny.

God's promise - messed up words, laughing, thinking about Trees

World Ain't slowing Down

Dragon fly races.

All in all, two truly wonderful shows!

Sorry you all couldn't be there.
Susan

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:32 am

Susan,

I'm sorry I couldn't be there too! TWO new songs! You lucky DAWGS! And Vance too! :D

Thanks for the report and setlists! I did get to hear the early show Maria thanks to a thoughtful friend with a cell phone. :)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:15 am

Unfortunately, I didn't end up making it to the show. Spent 8 hours in the ER with my dad and thankfully it was only kidney stones and he's back home here and doing well. My friend found some others to accompany her to the show, so I'm glad the tix didn't go unused.

Set list sounds great. Thanks, Susan!

Have a great day everybody.

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:24 am

MonicaR,

So sorry to hear about your dad and that you had to miss the show. I understand the challenges of having elderly parents. They are a constant worry. Hope your dad will be fine now so that you can leave for WoodyFest without worries.

KarenZ

mm

Postby mm » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:14 am

I'll chime in....my husband and I made it to the first show, and it was a super atmosphere, with great folks and Ellis was in fine form. His spirits were great and vocals tremendous, as ever. I'm ever amazed at his range and beauty as he sings what he sings.
Sounds like the late show was fantastic as well, esp with surprise guest Vance!

Not to forget our opener Chris O'Brien, who was great. Chris played not only some of his own songs but a terrific rendition of a Martin Sexton song. A very nice guy too.

I loved the Swing song that Ellis sings for Ella. It was delightful and clever and fast-paced. He's recording his CD of children's songs with Flynn this week, he told the crowd.
I also TOTALLY love the new Civil War song, which Ellis was still trying to memorize right before the show and he played without a hitch during the show....unbelievable!!! That's why he's the professional!!! I too, Susan, thought Long Way or Long Way Home might make a good title.

I saw Susan with her pen and knew she'd do a great job on the setlist!

I tried to take some shots, but was not close to the front. I will post later. I did get a couple very nice shots with some devotees!!! We missed you, Monica R. I'm sorry to hear about your dad, but that's the most important thing that you are there with him....there will always be more shows around here soon enough and we'll see you then!

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:57 am

Thanks, Karen and Monica.

My dad had a much better day yesterday. No stone yet, but hopefully that will pass before I leave for Woody Fest.

I have one of my brother's on-call for the time I'm away!!

Look forward to seeing you on Wednesday, Karen.

Monica, will you be going to the Plymouth Waterfront show at the end of July? I'm taking both kiddos to that one.

Monica R.

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:30 am

Monica R. -

We were wondering where you were, I'm glad to hear Dad is feeling better. Hopefully he will be fine in no time.

I know Bonnie and I are definately planning on the Plymouth show, and I'm sure we'll be bringing lots of friends to their first Ellis show. It's always easier to get folks to a free show!

See you there!
Susan

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:14 pm

I'll see you there, Susan. I may even drag my husband along. He's never seen Ellis, but sure has heard him a million times.

I'm happy to report too that Ellis has 2 new fans. My friend brought 2 people with her and they fell in love with the music and the man!

Monica R.

shari

Postby shari » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:53 pm

OK. So I was going to try to make good tonight and post these set lists, but I ran into questions:

"The Day After Everything Changed" - I don't have this in my song list. Is this new and I just don't know about it? Or is it old and I just don't know about it? Or unrecorded and I just don't know about it? Or does it have more than one title? HELP!

Also, I just want to put it out there that I am coming up with titles for new ones that are unofficial so that I can get them into the songlist. I can update the names as they change (though the codes will remain the same...)

Let me know about that one title and I will get that show up on the setlist site.

Thanks! :-)

Shari

shari

Postby shari » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:16 pm

Here is the setlist link for the late show.

I am working my way backwards...

http://ellispaul.setlistarchives.org/sh ... =200707074

:-)

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:28 am

Folks,

Here's a link to a Seacoast Online article review of the show. Don't let the WoodyFest photo confuse you. :)

Home-schooled storyteller: Folk musician Ellis Paul attracts all ages at Cambridge show by Sarah J. Brady

Karenz

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:30 am

Ah, nice review. Thanks Karen!
-wendy

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:56 pm

I have a few photos from this show that I'm happy to share. I'm trying to learn how to post them on the board but first, is this the proper forum or should I put them in the photos forum (assuming I can figure out how to do it!)? TIA.
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:22 am

Hi Mtn Gal and welcome. Photos normally get posted in the Photos forum - best to post your pix in an online album, which is made public and then post a link in the forum to your photos.

I think that its normally done this way so that we don't eat up too much capacity on the board itself by posting lots of pics which take up valuable space.

Hope this helps.

Jela

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:44 am

Many thanks Jela! I just figured out how to put them in an album so I'm jaunting off to the Photos Forum to see if I can figure out how to post the link! :wink:
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:39 pm

Folks,

A review of the show was published in the latest issue of Northeast Performer linked HERE.

KarenZ

Return to “3000 Miles”