Uncle Calvin's - Dallas, TX - July 7, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Uncle Calvin's - Dallas, TX - July 7, 2006

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:10 am

Good morning all,

The Woody Fest Preview show last night at Uncle Calvin's was a treat. We heard Corinne West assisted by Preston Dunlap, Kate McLeod, Sam Baker and finally Ellis with Don Conoscenti as sideman. In a word Corinne was all energy, Sam joyful quirkiness (OK, that's 2 words), and Kate angelic. Ellis and Don exude such fun when they play together - can't help but have fun along with them. :)

Together Ellis and Don did:

Maria's Beautiful Mess
Take all the sky you need
Alice's champagne palace
jukebox on my grave
blacktop train (unplugged as usual)
snow in austin (a big hit in Texas) :lol:
Home (girl sitting next to me bawled)
3000 miles

For the grande finale the entire group came out and swapped verses on Woody Guthrie's "This Land is your land" crowd-sing-a-long anthem. Folks were on their feet by then. Quite a night. :)

Heading to Austin in a bit. Keep the home fires burning. :)

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

JayceK

Postby JayceK » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:16 pm

Sounds like it was a great show. I'm going to see Ellis tomorrow in Norman (I live in Edmond). Then I'm going to the Woody Fest in Okemah. I've never been to anything like it before but I am so excited. I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it every day, but I'm definetly going Friday to see Ellis. I have a schedule printed out but I don't know who else is a must see. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Maybe I should make a new topic for this.
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:55 am

You must not miss - Joe Ely, Jimmy LaFave and Slaid Cleaves! All are fabulous and I only wish that I could be there. With Ellis as well, I described this foursome as my 'Dream Team' when I saw the line up. Haven't ever been to WoodyFest but hope that maybe next year.

Have a great time!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:10 am

I've never been to Uncle Calvin's. Are shoes required? Still looking for photos of Ellis' feet, sans footwear. Some thread back we were treated to a barefooted Don Con.

How's Everyone this fine Sunday Morning? Sunday? oooops, caught me! I took a day off y'day and missed the post on the show in Dallas til just now. The short set list seems reasonable given the nature of the night.

Karen, how do you go from hearing Ellis play 27 songs in Houston one night to the number he played in Dallas the following night? Allow me to answer that one for you. Does Eight Is Enough ring any bells? Then you add Don Conoscenti to the mix. Throw in some Sam Baker and others on their way to woodyfest. Yea, I'd say it was plenty. Might even go as far as to say: it's all good! :D

What is it about hearing your town or state's name mentioned from the stage that gets a crowd roaring? I love that the crowd ate up Snow in Austin. Once saw the roof nearly come off the duck when John Gorka was in town the night after the NBA Rockets had just won the title.

WHERE THE BOTTLE BREAKS features the line '' life beyond the playground fence..........serious as BASKETBALL '' .......ROAR went the crowd.

I'm on the road myself for music this weekend and I appreciate the time it takes to post a line or two when most everything around you is saying:

you're on vacation here, please step away from the computer

Thank ya maam! :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Nance

Postby Nance » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:40 am

Karen,

Thanks for the reports! We are living vicariously! Have a great time at Woodyfest! Maybe next year for me.

Nancy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:30 am

paddyinthepub wrote:Still looking for photos of Ellis' feet, sans footwear. Some thread back we were treated to a barefooted Don Con.

I have no photographic evidence, but I did see a barefoot Ellis once. Last summer there was a show in a converted church not only with no air conditioning, but also no windows. :shock:

He performed with his jeans rolledup to his knees and in bare feet. He even commented on the 'fwap fwap' sound his tapping feet made and how it added to the music. :D

Ahhh that was a great show. One of my first.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

JayceK

Postby JayceK » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:42 am

Hey thanks a lot Jela.
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:06 am

Jayce...you MUST Here Don Con on Thursday and Christopher Williams on Saturday. Ellis, Christopher and Don are def my favorites!

Bonuela....I did get a shot of barefoot Ellis last night....my first time to see it....wish it was closer shot but I'll try to figure out how to post it.

Fabulous show last night in Norman!!!!!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:17 pm

Hey folks,

Got several good shots of bare feet in the Oklahoma heat last night, but won't be able to post them until I get home after July 17. Paddy, I was most definitely in Austin (would I come all this way then NOT go to a show) ;) and will try to post something in a bit.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:49 pm

Karen, what was I thinking? I know. I read on another's website that you were heading down south for Woodyfest. You said you were going down early to catch a few extra shows. I think it was the phrase '' a few '' that had me thinking you might have taken leave of your senses and opted to skip maybe one of the shows. You know, you've seen Ellis once, you've seen him 168 times. :lol:

Just read your Cactus Cafe post. We both knew better than to think you could skip that one. Awesome recount of the show for us, thanks!

ps - that other board is abuzz today after CC on Saturday.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “3000 Miles”