WoodyFest 2007 (July 11-14, 2007)

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

WoodyFest 2007 (July 11-14, 2007)

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:20 am

Folks,

Those of you planning to attend this year's WoodyFest should know that tickets for the opening (Wednesday) night show - the only paid event - go on sale this morning. This year's opening show will celebrate the 10th anniversary of WoodyFest by having an all-star jam by the artists who have been to all ten festivals. Ellis has not been confirmed yet for Wednesday night, but I am hoping his schedule will allow him to be part of the 10-year celebration jam.

Check it out HERE.

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:36 am

Got my tix!

I'm hoping Ellis will be there too!

Counting down the days and looking forward to seeing all of you who are going!!!

Have a great weekend.

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:59 am

Got our tix too. I know of some who are going but it would be nice to have a list so that we can get to meet everyone from the db.

Who else is going?

Its going to be a blast!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:33 pm

Jela,

I'll be there. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Becky

Postby Becky » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:28 pm

I'll be there as well. :D
Looking forward to seeing everyone there!!
Becky

danaj

Postby danaj » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:47 pm

Put my name on that list!!! Ticket for Wednesday night are purchased and I'm rarin' to go!
Can't wait to see everyone!!!!!
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:37 am

DanaJ,

I hope to finally meet you! :)

KarenZ

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:33 pm

I won't be able to make it Wed but I'll be there Thur!!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:01 pm

All I can say is YEE HAW! :D

Woody Fest 10-Year Jam

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:04 am

Karen,

I second that emotion!!!!

Less than 2 weeks!!!!!!

Monica R.

(Hi back to you Monica M!)

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:16 am

As the old British eccentric all I'd say is 'spiffing news!' We will be there!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:15 pm

The Wednesday night "Gold Circle" seats are sold out! (It was our EP that did it.) ;)

KarenZ

JayceK

Postby JayceK » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:05 pm

So Ellis is confirmed for Wed night?
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

danaj

Postby danaj » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:21 pm

:D Yep! He is confirmed! I was already excited about the benefit concert, but when I saw that EP ws definitely going to be there, I let out a whoop that called all the kiddos into my room to see what was going on! lol :!:
Then it turned into a family celebration. :lol:

Who else is counting the days? :)
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Jayce,

The schedule is HERE and if you click on any day, you will also see a link to a printer-friendly version.

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:12 am

Folks,

Richard and Jela are in flight from England. I head out *early* Wednesday morning. MonicaR - see you Wednesday night! :) If I can squeeze in a few minutes from a computer at the Okemah Public Library, I'll try to check in.

Please keep the home fires burning, y'all! :D

KarenZ

JayceK

Postby JayceK » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:20 pm

Thanks guys, the reason I wasn't sure was that when you click the gettix.com thing where it says buy tickets online he wasn't listed with everybody else, granted it would have been a cool show anyway but Ellis being there kind of seals the deal ya know? Hope to see you guys there.
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

2bluesboys

Postby 2bluesboys » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:45 pm

I hope you all have a wonderful time and post reports on all the sounds and sights!!

Barbara

danaj

Postby danaj » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:05 pm

Okay, I'm so ready to get to Okemah. I'll be leaving Norman Wednesday afternoon around 2 or so and hitting westbound I-40 fast and furious! :D

I'd love to find a way to meet up with everyone from the board and put some faces with the names. I don't have a gold circle ticket for Wednesday night this year (don't know what the heck I was thinking!), but maybe we could all find a way to recognize each other?

And Karen, I can't wait to meet you also!

Can I fast forward through tomorrow? :)

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:58 am

I wanted to wish everyone a safe and a musical journey.

We will keep the board alive in your absence. I look forward to seeing everyone's pictures and reading your reports.

:D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:32 am

Hi guys - we arrived in OKC late afternoon yesterday, luckily managed to land before the thunderstorms struck altho' during the journey from the airport we saw two lamposts get struck by lightning which was a bit scary with sparks flying around.

We stayed locally last night and are picking up the car this morning and driving off to where we are staying for the festival. We plan to stop off in Okemah on the way and get a feel for all the places we are so looking forward to going to and hearing some great music.

On the TV last night, PBS channel (I think) there was a 90min Woody Guthrie documentary with contributions from Nora Guthrie, Joe Klein and Bruce Springsteen. It was extremely well made and sheer luck that we managed to catch it while channel hopping.

Just reading everyone's messages I've just realised that I forgot to pack our EP lapel pins (shame on me!) as we could have used those to help identify each other. Hopefully with all of us knowing some board members each, we'll be able to introduce people via the ones we do know.

Anyway, so looking forward to meeting up and Richard has his camera poised so hope that he gets some good pix to share when we get back home.

Jela

danaj

Postby danaj » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:37 am

Oh, can't wait to meet you guys! And thank heavens you landed before that stuff hit last night. It was pretty nasty there for awhile. A large portion of the west side of Norman was without power for awhile due to the storms.

Can't wait! Can't wait!!!! ::bounces up and down like a giddy 7 yr. old::

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:40 am

Jela,

Thanks for the lapel pin reminder! :oops: Shall we meet at the Woody statue (Ellis' brick) at noon on Thursday? I think I can be there then....

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:50 am

Good idea Karen - hopefully we can all meet up then and put faces to ALL the names.

Jela

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:29 am

I hope to meet you all at some point - I'm hopefully leaving work around 3 so I can be there by 5. Safe travels everyone!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:08 pm

Happy Woody day y'all!!

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:56 pm

I hear that in spite of horrendous rain storms, the music has been absolutely phenomenal. I'm certainly looking forward to reading all the glorious details.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:54 am

Did they melt? Did they drown? Did their heads explode from so much great music and Woody lovin'? Where are our reviews?

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:29 pm

The reviews, or rather the reviewers, must still be in planes, trains, and automobiles.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

danaj

Postby danaj » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:48 pm

Only enough energy for a few words here. A-MAZ-ING. Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

I'm still not recovered, haven't had much sleep. 8) Am mud-stained, sunburned and tired. ::yawn:: More later.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:27 pm

Folks,

It's going to be really hard to put into words everything that was seen, heard and experienced. Just got home this evening - two days of work then off to 'DC for the XM Radio gig on Thursday. I'm sure I won't be able to post any WoodyFest report before the weekend, but I'll get to it and pictures when I can.

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:21 pm

Jimmy Pollard wrote:Owww! Awesome time. Again! Nine for me and not a clanger yet! To think of this as a 'folk music festival" still, to me, is pretty misleading. It's a party! Non-stops shows...there's DonCon with Ellis, Ellis with Antje, Rad Lorkovic with Ellis. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Ellis helped the waitresses at Kellogg's Family Restaurant bus tables. Hell, he helped out everyone else. And if it he didn't, then Jimmy LaFave, John Inmon, David Amram, Joel Rafael, Rad, Rangers or Bob Childres surely did! And DonCon was probably making omelettes in the kitchen to the mellifluous sounds of The Burns Sisters. There's more "sittin' in" than at a jazz club. It's great!

The story of this Woodypalooza will be the weather because the shows scheduled for the muddy fields were moved indoors, but it didn't change the experience one iota for me. (I'm sure it did, dammit, for the folks that camped.) The music was great!

Antje's set in the "Historic" Crystal Theatre was absolutely boffo! She kicked ass! She initiated herself into the tribe of Woody when she "Antje-fied" "Oklahoma Hills." It was great!!!

Ellis is accessible everywhere. What a gracious man. In fact, all the performers meet/greet/and sign after their sets but they're also all over town/the field. What a great group!

Joel Rafael and band never disappoint! Joel has made a major contribution in making so many less-played Woody tunes more accessible. In the Wednesday night show he did "Don't Kill My Baby and My Son" again. It never ceases to grab me.

Jimmy LaFave's Band with both Andrew Hardin and John Inmon soaring is really cooking these days! Owww! Dylan, Donovan, Springsteen...he owns these tunes that he covers!

Burns Sisters! Owww! Kevin Mal picking anything with strings...wicked! When he stepped up and covered Shorty Long's "Devil With the Blue Dress On," they "funk quotient" was commensurate with the Mitch Ryder cover that we grew up on! Admittedly, a more refined, nuanced funk but with Kevin pickin' and slidin' with Jeannie, Marie and Annie singin'...it's great!!!

Clan Burns! Owwww! "Democracy!" OK, Leonard Cohen wrote it but, hey, does he know they own the thing! Yessss!!!!!

It was a blast! Monicar and her friend and my family had too much fun to admit to!!! As you'll all hear from more than me, "You gotta come to Okemah."

As for the hotel-parking-lot-palooza, I defer to those more hearty than I who just couldn't stay up THAT late.

That's all for now...just wanted to let you all know it was a blast! I'm sure others will post soon!

Jimmy

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:37 am

Thanks Jimmy, for hitting the nail on the head. I still can't wrap my head around any words other than WOW! The spirit of that festival is something I've never experienced before.

Was so great to see Karen, Richard and Jela, and you Pollard's ROCK!!!!

One of my favorite moments, other than seeing Ellis perform, of course, was seeing Ellis sitting over to the side of the stage rocking out to Jimmy LaFave!

Already looking forward to next year!

Monica R.

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:20 am

I forgot to mention seeing Becky ... didn't want you to think I forgot you. Your graciousness is out of this world. Have never met more friendlier people than those from Oklahoma.

And, Jimmy's right, you all have to experience Woody Fest. You'll be hooked for life, I'm sure!

BillE

Postby BillE » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:12 pm

Friends:

Thanks to Karen for posting some stuff from Jimmy P. Everything he said was true. It was my first time to see Antje, and she certainly didn't disappoint. Nor did Richard + Jela - what wonderful folks. As Richard pointed out the last day at breakfast, no way to pick a favorite moment. I especially liked Sam Baker, Kevin Welch, Butch Hancock, and Steppin' In It (the band, not the mud). I remember the first time I checked out Sam Baker at his MySpace page after hearing Ellis say how great he was. I was, uh, horrified. I immediately decided that I could be a folk singer. But to see him live is a completely different experience (as we've all learned many times). One interesting EP story from the weekend. Look for a new song, "Calendar Man" in the near future. He and DonCon were writing it in a hotel room, and I thought it was extremely clever. I hope he doesn't have second thoughts about it, since they seem to be writing it almost as a joke. I think we should all start requesting it when we see him. One thing that amazed me (but shouldn't have) was the ease with which the rhyming verses just flowed from EP. He made it look very easy.

I have a lot of pics - I'll try to get them posted soon.

Another wonderful Woodyfest (my eighth). Can't wait...

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:32 am

Folks,

Here's the setlists for Ellis' performances at the Crystal Theater during WoodyFest.

July 11, 2007 10-year jam:

1. Once upon a summertime (on piano)
2. Maria's beautiful mess (Don Conoscenti on electric)
3. God's Promise (Burns Sisters on harmony, Don Conoscenti on electric, Rad Lorcovic on piano)

July 12, 2007 solo set:

Solo:
Take all the sky you need
Untitled – new Civil War song
Once upon a summertime (on piano)

Don Conoscenti on electric guitar and Rad Lorcovic as noted:
Alice’s champagne palace (Rad on piano)
3000 miles (Rad on piano)
Jukebox on my grave (Rad on piano)
Maria’s Beautiful Mess (Rad on piano)
Minor Key (Rad on accordion)
Blacktop Train (Rad on accordion)
Home (Ellis on piano; Rad on accordion)
Hard Travelin’ (Rad on piano; Andy Wilson on harmonica)

Encore:
God’s Promise (Burns Sisters on harmony, Rad on piano; Don on electric

July 13, 2007. During Antje's set he helped with harmony on:

1. South
2. Pearls
3. Minor Key (a duet with Ellis playing Antje's guitar)

Shari, I'll post them to the setlists site when I can.

More later...

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:42 am

WoodyFest – what can I say? It was just fabulous! Great music throughout the day and night (if you were hardy enough to stay up) and such a friendly festival where we lone Brits were welcomed by everyone with open arms. It was great to meet up with Karen, Becky, Monica R, Dana J, Bill E and Emily G during the festival – thanks to you all for the welcome we received.

Festival kicked off on Wednesday evening at the Crystal Theatre with the only ticketed (fundraising for Huntington’s) event, the 10 Year Jam featuring the performers who had been there throughout – Bob Childers, Joel Rafael, Rob McNurlin, Red Dirt Rangers, Don Conoscenti, Terry “Buffalo” Ware, Jimmy LaFave and our very own EP. Each did three or four songs – Ellis sang (if my memory serves me correctly) Maria’s Beautiful Mess, The Cotton’s Burning, Once Upon a Summertime and God’s Promise (joined by the Burns Sisters). I was sitting next to a lady from Massachusetts, we talked about our faves and after Ellis had finished she turned to me and said ‘I can see why he’s your favourite, that was just beautiful’ Another new EP fan methinks!

All the performers were given an award to represent their involvement; Ellis did in fact miss one year when Ella was born and the Red Dirt Rangers also missed a year following a helicopter crash but one of the Rangers, Brad Piccolo had turned up that year on crutches. Then on to the after show party at Brick Street – a hive of activity with people noticeably meeting up with old friends and like us, making new ones. The power of music to bring people together continues to fascinate me. A great start with the promise of lots more good music to come.

Thursday morning – rain, rain and more rain! We did get to Brick Street at about 12.15 after waiting for the rain to subside and saw the end of Emily Kaitz’s gig, Joe Gee, The Oklahoma Geniuses and Effron White. During the show it was announced that the evening’s outdoor show was being moved indoors to the Crystal because the site was so waterlogged and muddy. With doors due to open at 5pm we wanted to be sure that we were not going to miss anything so we started queuing early. Hot, hot sunshine but worth every minute – the full line up, 6 acts culminating in the headliner a certain Mr Ellis Paul who was joined by Don and Rad. They were on top form; the show was really energetic and just went by in a flash (always does when you’re enjoying yourself). Karen has posted the set list so I won’t say anymore apart from ‘I just love the new civil war song and being the traitor that I am I also prefer the new ‘Summertime’ lyrics – much softer and more in keeping with the overall feel of the song. It was great also to hear the gang sing ‘Hard Travellin’ – a first for us’.

Friday’s line up included two daytime shows so it was a case of having to choose between them – we opted for the Crystal as we particularly wanted to see Romi Mayes whose latest CD is produced by Gurf Morlix; he’s a production god in our household and anything he’s involved in is a must listen to. We both liked her. Also didn’t want to miss Johnsmith (came highly recommended by Karen) and he too was great as was Ronny Cox.

Evening show was indoors so we had to queue up again and this time it was hotter than hot (!) but the line was entertained by Greg Klyma who did an impromptu performance for us all. He asked who we’d come to see, my response was ‘Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy!’ which brought a laugh. The whole show was once again fantastic and thanks to our friends on the inside (you all know who) we had front row seats. Antje Duvekot followed the Burns Sisters; she just captivated the crowd from the outset, David (and Adam) Amram were new names to us, DA is 76 yrs old and as we say ‘still cutting the mustard’ – he was awesome, playing instruments I’d never seen before, very eclectic. Kevin Welch was new to us and what a performer – has the most wonderful long hair, which he threatened to cut off !!!! No Kevin, no. Headlining was Jimmy La Fave – need I say more? He played my favourite track from the new CD ‘This Land’ – his band really rocks and they put on a stonking show. Throughout the evening Ellis had joined in with different performers, the evening culminated in a stage full of performers singing Woody’s ‘Bound for Glory’

Saturday morning 8.30am and it was Mary Jo’s Pancake Breakfast. Woody’s baby sister, in her mid 80’s attends and gives a speech – what a woman, so bright and perky. The music is hosted by Jimmy LaFave and anyone who happens to be up joins in the fun – Andy Hardin, Rob McNurlin, Joel Rafael, Burns Sisters, Rad, David Amram to name a few. Best breakfast ever.

Daytime show at Crystal featured Michael Fracasso (another favourite of ours) who had had a show the evening before in Austin, Texas and had jumped in his car to drive to Okemah for a noon start – he was the best we’ve seen him play and got a tremendous reception from the crowd. Next up was new artist Tony Lee Thomas, a mix of blues, funk, folk and soul who went down so well that he was overwhelmed by the crowd’s reaction. Then……….SAM BAKER……..next to Ellis he was my ‘must see’ and was just awesome. Can’t describe in words how his music affects me. He chats away between songs like he is talking to each member of the audience personally, he is so wonderfully engaging and his new CD has been getting such strong, positive reaction in the UK so I was delighted to learn that he’s coming to the UK in December. If you haven’t heard him – check him out. If he’s on near you, go see him!

Saturday evening and we were finally outside, the sun shone and dried out all the mud. Another very strong line up including Joel Rafael, Eliza Gilkyson who looked stunning, accompanied by John Inmon (Jimmy’s guitarist) you could see that she was so taken by his talented guitar playing. Butch Hancock (Richard’s hero of many years standing) did a full set including my favourite ‘Bluebird’ and to close, Arlo Guthrie. Show finished at 1.15am.

Sunday lunchtime the Hootenanny at the Crystal – hosted by Terry Ware (what a revelation he was!) again, whoever is around and up comes in and does a song – Antje, Rad sang a song!!! Butch, Ronny Elliott, Greg Klyma (he did a fab version of James McMurtry’s Choctaw Bingo), 2 Rangers, Michael Fracasso, Sara Hickman and others.

In addition to the official shows, which are free, the musicians all jam throughout the night at the parking lot but we didn’t have the stamina for that – perhaps another time as this will not be our first and only visit to WoodyFest.

My overriding memory is of friendliness and of there being no divide between artist and audience; everyone is so accessible and happy to be there. Enormous thanks to everyone involved in the organisation……….it was a challenge with the weather but you came up trumps.

Richard took a few (!) pictures and will be posting them once he’s sorted through. If you haven’t been to WoodyFest you must try and go one year! It’s truly heavenly!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm still simply too overwhelmed from the last 12 whirlwind days to post anything coherent, I fear. But I'll try to just post some random memories. Oklahoma had been getting a long period of very untypical rainy weather.....so much so that the first two night's of performances scheduled for the Pastures of Plenty had to be moved indoor to the Crystal Theater, where the daytime shows are held. As a result, the attendance those first two nights (Thursday and Friday) was limited to 600. Deana and Bill McCloud, the folks who book all the artists, quickly put together a secondary "main stage" show at the Brick Street Cafe for some of the overflow crowd. This is the 4th or 5th year that I've worked as a festival volunteer so I did alot of running around errands consisting of airport runs and trips to grocery stores. For two years I've been backstage hospitality liason which means hauling food for the artists to the Crystal and to the Pastures. The artists get a catered dinner, but the Coalition provides all kinds of snacks for backstage. In some ways it was easier this year, since we were only out at the Pastures the last (Saturday) night. An airport run caused me to miss Sam Baker's set, which I hear was stupendous.

My faves (besides Ellis and Antje) ;) were (of course) Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy :) .....and the Red Dirt Rangers and Johnsmith. Also stellar sets from Eliza Gilkyson and David Amram. Also the Burns Sisters. Oh heck....I love 'em all! :) Don Conoscenti had several invited guests who joined him on stage - a Native American drummer and also a Native American author who read some passages from a book. You just never know what to expect.

The house band knocked my socks off more than once when they easily played with whoever asked them to. Their playing at the Hootenanny on Sunday was wonderful. Antje did "It's a long way" at the Hoot....and hearing David Amram on flute, Rad on accordion and Don Con on electric guitar while she sang was almost too much. Sadly, Ellis had to leave on Saturday and wasn't there for the Sunday Hoot since he was playing back in New Jersey that day. :(

Jimmy's guitarist John Inman and Rad Lorcovic are both from another planet. John was another one who turned up on stage with quite a few artists. Rad was everywhere. ;)

I'll try to write more later.....

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:12 pm

Thank you all for the reviews, it sounds like it was heaven.

Sue Ellen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:38 pm

I have always wondered if there's such a thing as too much good music. Jela's post has answered that with a resounding "NO!".

danaj

Postby danaj » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:16 am

Hey Hey! I'm back! And alive, no less! :lol: I've really been trying to catch up, life has (I have to agree with Karen) been a whirlwind the past couple of weeks. I can hardly believe it's been 2 weeks ago today that I woke up to the sound of birds chirping cheerily outside my tent. That's one of the things I love most about starting my days off in Okemah. 8) I just can't get enough of it!

As everyone has said, the rain was... well... suffice to say there was alot of it. And also with the mud... lots. I think I can STILL see faint black bits around my toenails. (I finally gave up at the swamp... er, I mean campgrounds and just went barefoot in the muck, after loosing 2 pairs of flip-flops to it's sucking power. :shock: ) Ah, but it was soooooooo worth it!!!! The music was divine, I got to officially meet the lovely KarenZ and the equally wonderful Richard and Jela. ::waves across the ocean and way up north of me:: Unfortunately, due to the rain I didn't make it to the Woody statue... and didn't get to meet Emily g, BillE or monicar. :( Oh well, there's always next year, right? :D

I do have a few pictures that my BabyDivine took. She was the official family photographer, but she didn't get any of EP performing, due to the fact that the batteries died before he hit the stage. :pout: So, Richard, I'm waiting with baited breath for the posting of your "few" pictures. :lol: But I do have quite a few of other festival events, as well as a really cute (if kind of dark) one of Greg Klyma sneaking up behind Becky as she's chatting with Ellis outside the Crystal. Too funny. I'll get them all up on photobucket soon and post the link here.

And Bonnie... I have to say, there is NO such thing as too much good music :!: :) Come on down next year and experience it for yourself! :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:52 am

Dana,

Welcome back! :) Just so you know.....Richard has posted a link to some fabulous photos in the Photograph forum. You must have missed it. ;)

KarenZ

danaj

Postby danaj » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:53 am

:lol: Apparently I did... Just made it over there, as a matter of fact. Got caught up in getting caught up. hehehehe :lol: Thanks for the heads-up!

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:54 pm

Antje's set in the "Historic" Crystal Theatre was absolutely boffo! She kicked ass! She initiated herself into the tribe of Woody when she "Antje-fied" "Oklahoma Hills." It was great!!!

Antje played this song at the Outerland on MV.. if you follow the link at mvyradio you can hear her sing this... Sounds great.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:50 pm

Folks,

Here's a review of WoodyFest 2007 just published in the October issue of Maverick Magazine (UK) - written by our very own Jela!

Jela, thanks for featuring our EP so prominently! :)

The article also includes four wonderful photos taken by Richard which I am not able to include.

KarenZ

Woody Guthrie Folk Festival
Okemah, Oklahoma,
July 11 — 15

For 10 years, music fans and artists have been gathering in Okemah, Oklahoma, Woody Guthrie’s boyhood home, for the Woody Guthrie Folk Festival (dubbed by fans as ‘Woody Fest’) to celebrate his life, spirit and music. Held annually, the festival coincides with Guthrie’s birthday on July 14. The strong 2007 Festival line up was full of artists well known to Maverick readers: Tim O’Brien, Ellis Paul, Kevin Welch, Jimmy LaFave, Butch Hancock, Eliza Gilkyson, Arlo Guthrie, Sam Baker and Antje Duvekot.

The festival has grown over the years and attracted musicians from all over the US and Canada who believe very strongly, like Guthrie did, that music is for all people. Five days of largely free entertainment was provided; the poetry readings, a children’s festival, a writers’ panel, open mics and a community outreach programme where musicians perform for people who are not able to attend the festival at locations such as Nursing Homes and Care Centres.

Organised and run by a non-profit organisation, the Woody Guthrie Coalition, together with the support of musicians and volunteers, they have achieved their initial aim of building a legacy of Guthrie that all music fans should experience at least once in their lives. Woodrow Wilson Guthrie was born in Okemah, Oklahoma on July14, 1912 and encountered many hardships throughout his life including the death of a younger sister in a fire when he was just seven years old, the hospitalisation of his mother in a home for the mentally ill and the loss of family wealth after the post oil boom in the early part of the 20th century. Guthrie wrote thousands of songs, including the anthemic This Land is YourLand probably his best known. His music drew attention to the social injustices and hardships suffered by the common man. Today, musicians such as Seeger, Dylan and Springsteen readily pay homage to Guthrie. Despite his death in 1967 at the relatively young age of 55 years from Huntington’s Chorea, his enduring legacy continues to live on through his influence upon modern day singer-songwriters many of whom support the festival The Guthrie Archives, managed by his daughter, Nora, serve to preserve his cultural legacy and during the past years, a small and select group of musicians has been invited to set music to Guthrie’s words, including Billy Bragg and Wilco, Slaid Cleaves and Ellis Paul. The latter is a stalwart of Woody Fest’ and composed the music to Guthrie’sC. God’s Promise the words written over 50 years ago, during Guthrie’s time in hospital.

Opening night at this years festival saw the musicians gather at the historic Crystal Theatre (where Guthrie himself had performed) to play to a packed house. Billed as the 10 Year Jam, the line up featured the musicians (many new to me) who had attended the festival each year—Bob Childers, who opened up with his ode to Guthrie Woody’s Road, described as the best song ever written about Guthrie; Joel Rafael, Rob McNurlin, Red Dirt Rangers, Don Conoscenti, Terry ‘Buffalo’ Ware (a superb guitarist), Jimmy LaFave and Ellis Paul. Each did three or four songs with the Burns Sisters (three sisters from upstate New York with eight albums to their credit) joining Paul for his performance of Gods Promise. To judge from the audience’s reaction, it was a crowd pleaser, a haunting and beautiful rendition and it is no surprise to learn that it has been recorded by a number of different artists, including the Burns Sisters on their latest recording WILD BOUQUET. It was a wonderful start to the celebrations and gave the promise of more great music to come over the ensuing four days.

During the daytime, two indoor venues are used—the Brick Street Café and the Crystal Theatre with the evening sessions outdoors in the Pastures of Plenty named after a Guthrie favourite. This year for the first time the weather played its part and due to the severe, and I mean severe, thunderstorms, two of the three outdoor shows had to be switched indoors because of the mud, rain and water logged grounds. Typically, temperatures of 100 degrees F are not uncommon so all credit to the organisers who put on additional (indoor) shows to accommodate the audiences and make sure no one missed out on the music.

Throughout the festival, musicians perform Guthrie covers as well as their own songs. Mary Jo (Guthrie) Edgerton, Woody’s baby sister, who is now in her mid-SOs attends every year and despite being temporarily wheelchair bound by a hip injury, was in evidence at the evening shows as well as the early morning ‘Mary Jo’s Pancake Breakfast where she gave a rousing speech, thanking everyone for their contributions. All the musicians perform for free and it is not at all unusual to see impromptu bands form for jams— they help each other out and we the audience get to see collaborations that we could only normally dream about. Ellis Paul and Jimmy LaFave singing together, John Inmon (for many years part of the Jerry Jeff Walker band, now with Jimmy LaFave) playing guitar with Eliza Gilkyson, Radoslav Lorkovic (a talented pianist and accordionist) playing with just about everyone!

Headlining on Thursday evening was Ellis Paul accompanied by Don Conoscenti and the ubiquitous Lorkovic. Together they put on a very energetic show, excellent musicianship and interaction (yes, they have played together before) and a special treat was their cover of Guthrie’s Hard Travelin. Paul told a funny story about acquiring his Woody Guthrie tattoo and how he stripped off to show it to Arlo Guthrie whose response was ‘cool—it begs the question ‘How would you respond if someone started stripping off in front of you to show off a tattoo of your father???’ Some five years later, bumping into Nora Guthrie at a music convention, the first thing she said to him was want to see your tattoo!’ By the way, the tattoo is on his arm, just in case you were wondering.

Friday’s daytime show included Canadian Romi Mayes whose latest album SWEET SOMETHIN’ STEADY is produced by Austin legend Gurf Morlix. Anything he’s involved in is a ‘must listen to’ and she did not disappoint—full of ‘kick ass’ attitude she exudes a confidence, more akin to a seasoned performer than a first time Woody Fester, Her first album released in 2004, THE LIVING ROOM SESSIONS was nominated for Best Roots Album in the Western Canadian Music Awards.

Friday’s headliner was Jimmy LaFave. His new CD, CIMARRON MANIFESTO was recently No 1 in the Americana charts and has received national airplay over here in the UK thanks to Bob Harris. LaFave is an Austin based singer- songwriter whose voice I would describe as plaintive but not melancholy—he has a way of touching at the heart of your soul with his laments and is in my humNe opinion, the best interpreter of Dylan on the road today. Backed up by a stellar band which now includes Andrew Hardin (ex Tom Russell) he put on a show to remember culminating with Guthrie’s Bound for Glory during which he invited a stage full of performers to join in.

Saturday morning and Mary Jo’s Pancake breakfast—for $5 you get orange juice, coffee, pancakes, maple syrup, bacon and of course, music! Hosted by LaFave, any artist who happens to be around and up at that early hour, gets on stage and performs—a truly collaborative event the small stage overflowing with musicians doing what they do best—singing and performing with a freedom in the true spirit of Guthrie.

Saturday’s daytime show featured Sam Baker, who performed songs from his recently released second CD PRETTY WORLD. I had seen him earlier this year at SXSW where he just blew me away and this time was no different. He doesn’t sing in a conventional fashion, he talks, almost rasps his way through seemingly simple songs but what an impact they have! I can see why Bob Harris said recently that after heJ played Broken Fingers on the Saturday show, he received more enquiries about it than any other song/artist for years. The good news, which Sam told me himself, is that plans are at an advanced stage for a UK tour later this year—don’t miss this guy!

At last the sun had shone enough to dry out the Pastures of Plenty’ so for the first fime this year we were out in the open—the line up on the final evening included Joel Rafael, Tern Hendrix with Lloyd Maines, Butch Hancock, Eliza Gilkyson and receiving a warm and rapturous welcome headliner Arlo Guthria It was Guthrie’s 7th festival appearance and only a few days before he had celebrated his 60th birthday. Just back from an extensive tour raising funds for the victims of Hurricane Katrina, he played solo until the very last song of his set where his daughters and the Burns Sisters accompanied him.

The last day—Sunday—and we all gathered at the Crystal Theatre for ‘the traditional close to the festival the Hootenanny—whoever turns up gets to sing a song, backed by the house band, the Oklahoma Geniuses, led by Terry Ware, and it was a wonderfully uplifting way to end five days of glorious music.

This was my first visit to Woody Fest’ and you can rest assured that it won’t be my last. I have only been able to touch upon a small part of the festival—there is so much good music throughout and my overriding memory is of friendliness, a warm welcome and the accessibility of the musicians who join in, make themselves available and genuinely support the legacy left by Guthrie by reaching out to anyone who wants to listen, The amazing thing is that the Coalition doesn’t have an advertising budget so the festival has grown through word of mouth recommendations—by musicians, volunteers and the audience. 2007 has seen some great festival line’ups across the world and this is surely one of the best. The 2008 Festival is set for July 9 - 13. More information on ‘Woody Fest’ can be found at www.woodyguthrie.com. Jela Webb

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:34 am

GREAT article, Jela!!!!!

Monica R.

mm

Postby mm » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:54 am

Wonderful article, Jela!!!! I meant to respond earlier. Such great writing here and you really captured the spirit of what I'd imagine the festival to be like. I definitely need to make the pilgrimage out there one of these years.

Hello Monica R!

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:46 am

Hi Monica M!

You definitely have to make the trip some year. You would LOVE it.

Monica R.

Return to “3000 Miles”