Club Passim - New Year's - Dec. 30 & 31, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

danaj

Postby danaj » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:15 pm

I'm in total agreement with paddy here... absolutely GREEN with envy.
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:18 am

To those of you coming in from out of town for these shows, travel safe and see you soon!! :D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:34 am

I know that Richard and Jela are in flight from England.....and I'm heading out soon. Safe travels to us all! :)

Don't forget your EP lapel pins everyone! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:44 pm

Hello guys - just to say that we have arrived in Cambridge and are safely esconced at The Irving House - look forward to seeing you all very soon.

Jela + Richard

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:08 pm

As a "local" allow me to welcome you to our state!! I am looking forward to meeting so many board members in person!!

See you at Passim. :mrgreen:

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:45 pm

I was just over on the Passim website and the EARLY show on 12/31 still has tickets available. If you are planning on going I'd get them quickly since the 3 other shows are sold out!!

rglossne

Postby rglossne » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:28 pm

:( I have 5 tickets to the late show for New Year's eve that I will not be able to use. Our plans have changed, sadly.
I am in central PA. If anyone wants them, is there anyway to get them to someone at this late date? Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?
Thanks.
Thank the Lord for the friends he cast in the play he wrote for you. --Ellis Paul

care

tonight tonight tonight!!

Postby care » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:49 am

hey hey ellis paul junkies! tonight - can't wait! i have tickets to the late show - but my boyfriend and i usually show up early to eat dinner at veggie planet and "watch" the early show from the lobby. no idea what i'll be wearing but i hope to meet other EP discussion board people tonite - i don't have one of those pins either - i missed the boat on that one.

my one standout feature is that i just dyed my hair and its ... well really red. so... come on over and say hi :)

xoxo
peace and love.
care

Becky

Postby Becky » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:00 am

I have tix for the late show today as well, so am planning on being at the Veggie Planet for dinner early tonight. If anyone has any tix they're not able to use for the 7:00 show, I'd love to buy 2!! When I bought tix for the late show, I didn't really know if we'd be able to make it from Oklahoma or not, so just bought the one set of tix.
It's my first time to Club Passim so am so excited to be here!!
Becky

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:32 pm

I've been MIA for so long... work has kept me busy! Mike and I will be at the late show tonight. I think I lost my pin but I'll search for it.
I hope the traffic isn't too terrible with all this SNOW! I have to find my way to South Station to pick up Mike at 8 and then head over to Passim. Mike had to cut his family vacation short and take a Greyhound bus up here from NJ.
I can't believe you nuts going to all four shows! But I also can't wait to meet you :)
See you in a few hours!
-Katie

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:09 pm

Snow........ didn't that used to be a winter tradition around here ?

No snow in Presque Isle on Christmas Day for the first time I can ever remember - not even outside of town in the woods and fields. It did snow the next day though :)

Maggie and I will be at the 12/31 late show per usual. Planning on some mexican food beforehads across the street, and then standing in line to get whatever we can manage for seats.... Hope to see many of you there. Those at the shows tonight- please enjoy (and enjoy safely :) ).
Jeff

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:16 am

*sniff*sniff* Katie just called so that I could hear Ellis singing Home. It was almost as good as being there............
Is she a good daughter or what? :D
When you invest in love, the same will be returned. Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:52 am

Folks,

Much more later when I get back home, but the 2 shows last night were so wonderful and FUN.

Ellis started both shows solo with the new "Summertime" on piano. Lovely. Lovely.

OMG - Radoslav Lorcovic on piano and accordion is a wild man. The trio (Ellis, Don Conoscenti and Rad) did several unexpected cover songs - the biggest surprise of which was Culture Club's "Karma Chameleon". Talk about priceless. ;) We were also treated to CCR's "Have you ever seen rain?" and Johnny Cash's "Ring of fire."

Rad, who has been touring with Odetta, stole the show when the trio each took a verse on Van Morrison's "Crazy Love". Rad brought it home with:

"And when Im returning from so far away
She gives me some sweet lovin brighten up my day
Yes it makes me righteous, yes it makes me feel whole
Yes it makes me mellow down in to my soul"

Talk about righteous! He SINGS too! :)

Slept 4 hours - only up now to see the Griders' off to the airport for their flight back home to OK. Ten of us (including the German contingent) are here at a B&B just walking distance from the club. So nice to see so many EP lapel pins and to meet Jalapenos and care for the first time! :)

Gotta scoot...I need COFFEE!!! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

mm

Postby mm » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:35 am

Thanks, Karen, for the report and also for giving the gift of me hearing the Van Morrison song at 11:30 last night via cell phone....it was MORE than a good dream in my pj's to be able to catch the spirit of that one!

SO great that so many wonderful folks traveled such a distance to be there. A really great crew. Can't wait to hear the report from tonight's shows and HAPPY NEW YEAR all!!!

Monica

care

swoonworthy indeed

Postby care » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:14 pm

karen you couldn't have put Rad's singing better. What a treat! I saw him at Antje's CD release party at SOmerville and he rocked out on the acordian and keyboard- what a treat indeed.

great to meet / visually see you all last nite. Katie- i'm sorry i didn't get a chance to come up and say hi! you lucky duck with seat way up close. and karenz being bombarded by the unplugged ellis paul-

i know a bunch of people were taking pics and i cant wait to see them all! i'll have my pics up sometime this week hopefully as well - i was trying out a new camera so i'm not sure how good they're going to come out.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:38 am

Happy New Year!

Unfortunately, I was unable to make it to last night's show. Had a great time Saturday night. So nice to see Karen again, meet SueEllen, Jela and Becky.

Thanks for a great show Ellis. I'll give up my spot in the bathroom line for you any day!

:D

Monica R.

Becky

Postby Becky » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:59 am

Wow...another new year already. And what a great way to end 2006. We're back home in Oklahoma now and I'm still just floating from our trip to Boston and Club Passim for the first time. It was so great to meet so many wonderful people!! Oh, what a wonderful time we all had. And it was such a miracle that I got into the first show on Saturday (thanks, Monica!!! I owe you :D ).
Hope to see all of you that I met in Oklahoma this next summer for the Woodyfest!!

Becky

gundicus

Fabulous show, as always!

Postby gundicus » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:56 pm

Hey all,

Well, 10 for 10 - Ellis put on a fabulous New Years show, as always! I'd never seen Rad, so that was a treat! AND...OMG...the highlight (unfortunately I was so shocked I made an idiot out of myself) was when I went back to say Hi to Ellis & have a chat after the show (I forgot his xmas gift back in wellesley & was very bummed since I'd been waiting for months to give it to him...and the description just didn't do it justice - i'll have to get it to ralph somehow!) - I walk in & run smack dab into ANTJE!!!!!!!! I darn near fell over...i've had her cd in my player since the franklin show & have been wanting to tell her how amazing she is...but of course...all I managed were a few words about how superbly she did at the franklin show...I just wasn't expecting her to be in the green room!
So - it was incredible. This is the 10th year E has played Passim's on New Years & it's the 10th year he & I have known each other, so it was a very special night all around.
Not sure if anyone else mentioned it but since HE mentioned it at the show I feel safe saying it here (i'm sure he wouldn't mind!) - Ellis is gonna be a papa AGAIN! Sharon is expecting their 2nd daughter on January 31st - they're going to name her Sophie Rose (there's a story behind the naming that's hysterical & had don con ribbing Ellis @ his faulty baby-naming techniques!). So a BIG CONGRATS to the Paul family on the soon-to-be born Sophie!!!!!!
I didn't manage to catch anyone's eye last night (I was at the 7 p.m. show) - but I'm sure i'll see many of you at the next show!!!!!!!!
Best,
Gundy
"To see what is takes only human eyesight; to see what could be requires vision" - CB

Jimmy Pollard

Postby Jimmy Pollard » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:53 pm

Yeah, the Passim New Year's late show was a blast! Lots of fun! Don Con doing a couple of fleeting Boy George moves when they were covering Karma Chameleon was, as they say, "worth the price of admission!"

During their cover of "Crazy Love" I had one of those "How Could You Ever Had Guessed That 35+ Years From Now..." moments. I remember Van Morrison and his kick ass band back then do Crazy Love at the old Harvard Square Theatre on the other side of the block from Passim before or around when "Moondance" was released. Now these three crazy fellers are covering it. Weird....and awesome!!!

Hearing favorite tunes you've heard so often live with DonCon and Rad, was like hearing them again for the first time. Ain't Rad a trip? And Don Con being Don Con...

This was my third or fourth NYE Ellis show at Passim and this one was, as we say in these pahts, "the wicked coolest." Wish everyone coulda joined us.

Rock on, Don!
Rock on, Rad!
Thanks and Rock on, Ellis!

And health, happiness and many years to that couple that got engaged there! Safe journey home to the folks from Germany and the UK.

Jimmy Pollard

knoxs_dad

Club Passim 12/31, early show

Postby knoxs_dad » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:26 am

Been a while since I have posted but last night was one tremendous show!!
Don and Rad were awesome and really gave EP some serious sound. We had general admission seats and sat in the first row on the end. Knox, as some of you know, is the self appointed number one fan! He will be seven in March and this was his 8th Ellis Paul Concert in three years and his favorite!
Jean and I have been bringing Knox to shows since he was four and EP has been a huge influence on Knox's life.
Knox has asked that we attend both shows next year so that he can be there for the new year and most importantly he can see Ellis perform at his peak after a 1.75 hour warm-up!
The song selection was excellent, performance was spot on and quite solid by all!!
EP visited with Knox both before and after the show so it was a very complete night for my boy.
Happy new year to all and we will see you at the shows .......
Knox's dad
aka Peter

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:15 pm

Folks,

Also wanted to say that the openers both nights, Jon Svetkey on Saturday and Flynn on Sunday, were stellar. I promised Jon that I would post a link to his band's web site to the "Ellis army". ;) I have several of Jon's solo CDs, but more recently he performs with his band - The Loomers. You may remember him as one of the 4 guys (along with EP) who formed the End Construction collective back in the late 80's, early 90s. It was a treat for me to hear him perform live for the very first time.

Jon announced that the Loomers brand-new album Tomorrow, Today (I think he said it would be released in Feb.) is now available on iTunes...but you can also listen to songs from the new album on the website, so here's the link:

http://loomers.com

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:34 pm

All four shows were fantastic, although the first one on Saturday, and the late show on Sunday were charged with a special kind of energy. The whole weekend was a blur of fun, and I am especially thankful for all of the new folks I was able to meet and spend time with. Lots of great times; besides the great food, music, and conversation, I especially enjoyed ice skating with Irmi and Christian. Thanks to everyone who made the weekend such a grand finale to 2006.

Let's hope for a peace-filled new year.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:04 pm

Gee, Sue Ellen....since ice skating was one of your favorite parts of the weekend....here's a little memento. :)

Sue Ellen, Irmi and Christian

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:45 pm

I had such a great weekend that I can hardly begin to put it into words. Of course I only got to 3 of the 4 shows, and feel like I missed out terribly. :P

I guess the best way to describe it is.......During the intro to 3000 Miles I could barely contain myself. I was so excited to hear it that I was stomping my feet and clapping my hands like a 3 year old being handed a new balloon! My friend turned to me and said, "Isn't this your third time hearing this song?" Yup. And I loved it just as much this time as the first. :mrgreen:

Here are a few highlights:

Early Show 12/30 ~
Peeking in thru the window to hear Karma Chameleon while waiting to get in to the late show.

Late Show 12/30 ~
Jon Svetskey telling us that he introduced Ellis to DonCon.
Rad taking a turn on "Crazy Love" and blowing me away with his voice.
Ellis broke a string on the guitar being auctioned off.
Don's interpretive dance to "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?" and, well most of the other songs too. :P
After Ellis introduced Radoslav Lorkovic correctly he said we should hear him say Antje Duvekot. Such a show off!!

Early Show 12/31 ~
Flynn opening. (DUH) He seemed a little skittish after last year's coffee filter incident.
Blacktop Train in the crowd. I really love the guitar part that Flynn adds to the song, and then there was the accordion....the crowd sang along to the ooooh ooooh ooooh part and sounded great.
Don stopping "Maria's Beautiful Mess" to ask Ellis to show him how he played a certain part. And then proceeding to try and upstage Ellis.
Apparently during "Home" someone hit a clunker. I wouldn't have noticed anything if Ellis hadn't lost it. Laughing so hard he had to restart the song. :lol:

Late Show 12/31~
Antje and Flynn debuting their new song.
Don and Ellis calling Flynn during his set as a prank.
I was thrilled to hear Minor Key with Antje helping out. It is one of my current faves.
All of us debating if they had done "Home" this time around. Some of us had been there so long we couldn't remember. :oops: The answer was "no", so they fixed that.
Ellis told a story about Ella that was so cute, but she probably won't think so when she is about 15. :P
Nobody could remember Auld Lang Syne, but we all felt we should try it anyway. Rad came to the rescue. Thank goodness for the Croatian Sensation!!

Our very own "Worth the Wiskey" (Trish) got engaged at midnight, so Ellis honored her request for "Words"

It was great to meet so many of you from here. I am sorry I missed out on Gundy and Care. I really hope the first time posters will stick around and keep us company until next New Years.

gundicus

don's clunker

Postby gundicus » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:27 pm

Yeah, that was doncon's clunker....oof....it just wasn't able to be played 'through' - I credit E with not falling off the piano stool with laughter. Although, had it been a john cage show, it would have come off splendidly - it was just SO wrong! I get the biggest kick out of don, he's just as mischeiveous as he looks & always has to throw a wrench (intentional or otherwise) into the works - i've given him my own nickname as a result: 'puck' - the little imp!

E is getting pretty good at tinkling the old ivories (and to hear him tell it, he's petrified...yeah, never met a tune he couldn't hammer out on something, that man!).

I'm wondering who the lucky duck is who walked off with E's Kelly guitar at the end of the evening...but then I think "I do NOT want to know" - it could get me into a spot of trouble if I know who got it - unless it was someone who isn't within the continental U.S. - i'm not willing to go overseas to play the thing! :)

Hope you're all nicely recovered from the evening's festivities. I slept all day on the 1st...literally. Not sure how you folks manage more than 1 show, let alone 3 or 4....i'm broke, so getting to one is a challenge - but I did like Ellis' idea of making us all stay over from the 7 to the 10 show on the 31st - if i'd not been so very tired I might have hung around in the shadows somewhere - but I had a long ride home & wanted to avoid the drunks on the road ...good god i'm getting sensible in my old age! :)
Best,
Gundy-
P.S. - If anyone feels like relaying the missed 'Ella' story i'd be grateful, we heard about the new arrival but no cute Ella stories...i'd love to hear it. I was telling stories about Ralph's son to my friend on the way home...were any of you at the concert years ago when Ethan (I may be misremembering the name, apologies to Ralph if I have...it's been so long! God he's got to be nearly a teen now!) decided to take the stage & start calling Ellis 'da-da' & tipping things over? It was hysterically funny...as I recall ALL the toddlers & babies at that show got cranky right about the same time - it was some chorus for ellis' songs!
"To see what is takes only human eyesight; to see what could be requires vision" - CB

gundicus

uh, just remembered...it's evan...not ethan

Postby gundicus » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:29 pm

A thousand apologies Ralph...it's Evan....my bad...goodness my memory is slipping!!!! I wonder if WBOS still has that show in the archives. I used to have a copy of it but I played it so many darned times that the tape literally overheated & snapped....the spoken word bits were just too priceless to describe - one of E's best shows from the mid 90's - wish I had a copy!
Gundy-

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:31 pm

Check your PM's.

What a great story about Ralph's son. I met him this weekend and he has grown up a bit. :-)

gundicus

my pm's

Postby gundicus » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:39 pm

just did, thanks! That's very cute!

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:58 am

Went to the New year's Eve late show (for the free champagne ;) ). As usual, it was an excellent show, although the crowd seemed a little more restrained than in past years.

I had a great set list and notes write-up for both Flynn and Ellis - but much like Charlie on the MTA it is riding around a subway train somewhere under the streets of Boston, never to return.....

Highlights of the show for me included seeing Karen and numerous other folks again, meeting Sue Ellen and our guests from the UK and Germany (sorry that we had to leave fairly quickly to catch the T - it would have been nice to have shared a few minutes with all of you after the show), watching the wedding proposal unfold from directly in front of me at midnight, hearing the good news that Ella used her potty (that would be the story about Ella folks from another show missed) and the even better news about Sophie's upcoming arrival. Oh yeah, there was some pretty good music as well :)

Flynn was outstanding. Loved the duet with Antje. Ellis, despite a touch of hoarseness, was great as well (I can sympathize now with that feeling after doing four Masses on Christmas Eve - couldn't talk the next day, whcih was a relief for many....). Don Con was his usual outstanding self, and Rad was a revelation. Loved Crazy Love (had just worked tha out for a wedding last month, so it was a real treat to hear it done so well by them). Did not love the Culture Club cover...... oh well. Only disappointment of the show was not hearing the mythical song again, but I guess I just ened to figure out how to get to a show in Maine to hear that live and in person (and many thanks to those who thoughtfully phoned it to me in August, so I have a very strong suspicion that the song is real and does get played live :) ).
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:26 pm

Folks,

Well....my earlier post was a report of the two shows on Dec. 30th, so this one will be a few comments about the two shows on the 31st. Believe it or not, these were my first Ellis Paul NYE shows so I can't compare them to any previous years....but having heard that the Passim crowd(s) are somewhat sedate on NYE, I was pleasantly surprised to experience otherwise. (Maybe it was just my table - you know....those rowdy Brits.) ;)

Ellis invited Antje to join him on "Alice's Champagne Palace", "Snow in Austin" and the encore "Minor Key". After Ellis performed "Words" for the newly engaged couple (Trish and Tim) the trio went right into "Martyr's Lounge" without stopping. That was kinda cool. Ellis did sing "Auld Lang Syne" although he initially indicated that he wasn't sure he remembered the words. Then Rad let loose with his own keyboard version. Wow. Flynn joined the trio when they unplugged and did "Blacktop Train" and "Have you ever seen rain" in the audience for the late show.

When Ellis performed "Home" on piano, Rad switched to the accordion.

No one seemed to have a pair of reading glasses that worked for Ellis. ;)

I met the engaged couple after the show. It was really wonderful seeing Thomas Mueller (from Germany) again and meeting his girlfriend Susanne and their friends Christian and Irmi who also traveled from Germany for the shows. Ellis thanked the German contingent and Richard and Jela (from England) at every show, I think, which was really nice. Also met Don Ackerman for the first time (he and his wife have been to every EP NYE show) and got to say hey to Jim Pollard, who I usually see every July in Okemah, OK.

After the first show we asked Flynn if he was taking requests, and he said to just write down what we wanted to hear....so with Bonnie, Lyn and Susan's help, we wrote Flynn's setlist for the late show and Bonnie gave it to him. I'm happy to report that he did 3 of the 6 songs we wrote down for him. Is that right, Bon??? The new song that he did with Antje is called "breathless". Flynn looked really good (read swoonworthy) in his black silky outfit. Too good, really. ;) And when he said he wasn't sure if "Black is the color" would be on his new CD, we shouted words of encouragement. :)

Ellis said he's retiring his Hillbilly Pilgrim shirt. ;)

I think that's all I can remember for now. Except that our table and a couple other tables around us never did get any champagne or sparkling cider, so Sue Ellen swiped a bottle from the stage when they weren't looking. :)

What a wonderful weekend....more wonderful than I could have ever imagined. Like Okemah, Boston may become an annual tradition for me. :)

Signing out,
KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:40 pm

Damn, I thought Flynn sang "As I Roved" because of my request...damn. He did a darned good job of it too. I think the consistent comment from the table was "Brilliant, Bloody Brilliant Mate," although I may be embellishing a bit.

Darned glad I swiped that champagne, and I was very happy to share it with the table all the way in the corner. What's bringing in the New Year without a little bubbly, or a little some kind of something?
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:47 pm

Sue Ellen wrote:Damn, I thought Flynn sang "As I Roved" because of my request...damn.

That was your request. We just put it on paper for you!

I did forget 2 little tidbits in my epic review.

1. During the early show 12/31 Don got the whole audience to join in making "rings of fire" with their arms over their heads. :P

2. During the late show 12/31 Antje lowered the mic for Don. Just a touch lower than necessary. Ok. Maybe about a foot too low. No worries. He got her back when she returned for another song. He raised that thing up, almost to the ceiling. :lol:

care

new years extravaganza

Postby care » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:53 pm

ANTJE played on New Years Eve? Aw man i'm SO jealous of you guys, what a treat, antje, flynn, don con, rad and ellis- what a group.

anyone know why chris williams wasn't around this year? i've always enjoyed seeing him in the past.

i really enjoye the new years shows but (and maybe its just because i go to a lot of shows...) i was sort of bored with the set list. the crowd was amazing, the new song was fantastic and the cover songs made me smile (don con making rings of fire...rad's amazing singing on crazy love...) and i enjoy hearing ALL of ellis's songs... but i dont' know - i was a little disappointed he didn't play some of his older stuff.

jon svetsky was great too! look up his stuff - great sound to him.

i'm sad to read that the audience on new years wasn't as energetic as the ones on the 30th - man did people laugh and there was such a great buzzzzz of energy through the crowd.

when is the next show we're going to have to plan more of these get togethers - sit together- the EP Fan Club - one random BURST of energy coming from somewhere in the audience.

cheers!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:17 pm

Care,

No need to be sad. Having been at all 4 shows, all I can say is that IMHO the crowds on the 31st were as energized as those on the 30th and then some. The audiences went crazy for the cover songs and Rad's "solos", sang along on "3000 miles" and "Blacktop Train," shouted out requests and laughed at all the joking and antics. The trio that performed together Saturday and Sunday nights aren't a band - they had one day to rehearse some songs - so naturally there was a limited number that they could comfortably perform together. I could go on and on....but I'll just say there was no disappointment at my table. :)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:06 pm

Care wrote:i'm sad to read that the audience on new years wasn't as energetic as the ones on the 30th

Only be sad for missing the shows on the 31st. From my perspective, the late show on the 31st was the most electrifying and energetic.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:35 pm

Having completed that 6000+ miles round trip for the shows at Passims I thought that I'd post some of my personal highlights from the shows - yes we went to all four....you don't think that we'd travel all that way and miss any of them do you????

I didn't write anything down so the following recollections are from memory and I hope that they're in the right order. We both so enjoyed meeting, face-to-face, all you guys that we'd only had electronic contact with and by the time of the shows on the 31st it was feeling like a big family reunion as we were made to feel so welcome by you all.

Early show Dec 30th......First song 'Summertime' the new one that's since been posted on 'myspace' .....its just wonderful and is a really does evoke long ago memories of adolesence

Don Con's jacket - a black pin stripe where the pin stripes were in a sparkly thread and beautifully picked up by the stage lighting - he really sparkled in more ways than one!

Crazy Love - what can I add to what has already been said? Rad's singing voice was a revelation and we were all blown away by his vocals. He should sing more often!

Ellis referencing James Brown on 'Jukebox' (he did this at all the shows and each time applause rang out from the audience).

Unplugged, in the audience 'Have you ever seen the rain' the Creedence song - wonderful rendition with everyone joining in

Late show Dec 30th
The lights having to be switched ON so that Ellis could read 'The night the lights went OUT on Christmas' (tickled my sense of humour)

Sitting next to the Doherty (?) brothers who have seen Ellis many, many times stretching back to the first gig in 1989. They have over 170 recordings of Ellis shows (which they do for private use only)

Early show Dec 31st Someone looked after us as we had the best seats in the house (a table with Karen and Sue Ellen) right at the front and next table to Bonnie, Lyn, SusanH and Bonnie's friend. I could literally lean over and touch the band! In fact I had to crouch down so that the photographers on our table could get the shots they wanted when Rad sang on 'Crazy Love' otherwise my head would have been in the way.

Before the show started , a guy on the adjoining table asking Karen in all innocence 'Have you seen Ellis before?' We just cracked up at that one - it was show 180!!

Flynn!! with his twinkling Irish eyes - he's no mean singer/songwriter either! We thought he was great and had no hesitation in buying his CD. Antje joining him for a song - that was a treat......seeing them both live after having heard so much about them both from the Board. She's getting airplay on national radio over here in the UK so hope that she visits in 2007.

Late show Dec 31st
Request for 'Words' from Trish & Tim who got engaged at the stroke of midnight. Rad had not played this before but he just picked it up and away he went with Ellis and Don Con - what a star!!!

Vance Gilbert phoning Ellis on stage so we all shouted 'Happy New Year' to him at midnight.

Antje joining in on 3 songs.

Sue Ellen, in return for passing Ellis a guitar from the stage, when he was in the audience because he broke a string on the one he was using, took the band's bottle of champagne as we didn't get passed any! Good on you girl!

So many, many happy and fun memories. Thanks to everyone who made this all possible - it was great and long may the tradition of Ellis concerts at New Years continue.

We will be posting our photos in due course - need to play around with the software and have loved seeing the other pix taken.

Jela (+ Richard)

shari

Postby shari » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

Sorry it has taken me so long to surface....

If someone would be so kind as to post the setlists from the 30th and the early show from the 31st on the setlist site I would appreciate it!

I have the setlist from the late show on New Year's Eve, that show is my tradition. :-)

Now I have to put up the 2007 calendar link! :-)

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:16 pm

Shari,

I promise I'll do it tomorrow. I was hoping someone would beat me to it...

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:15 am

I was having so much fun I didn't even take a single note!

shari

Postby shari » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:02 pm

Hi Folks....

sorry for the delay.... here are the setlists for the 30th. I'll get the 31st up this weekend as well...

http://ellispaul.setlistarchives.org/sh ... =200612303
http://ellispaul.setlistarchives.org/sh ... =200612304

Hope everyone is enjoying the New Year!

:-)

Shari

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:57 am

Thanks for the recap on the NYE shows at Club Passim y'all.

We are gonna have to join you one of these years.

All the best in the new year, everyone.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Jimmy Pollard

Postby Jimmy Pollard » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:33 am

Karen,

As the front runner in "most shows seen" and having some standing in this here extended family, if you pronounce Passim's New Year's Eve shows "a tradition" for you, well, that's good enough for me!!! You know..."when you lead, we follow" or something like that!

See you in Okemah in July... and Cambridge in December...2007!!!

Jimmy

And a tip for visitors from this native: When in Harvard Square, Mr. Bartley's Burger Cottage up Mass Ave a few blocks toward Central Square is a must...no matter what your dietary preferences!

Return to “3000 Miles”