Baldwin's Station, Sykesville, MD: 24 May 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sue Ellen

Baldwin's Station, Sykesville, MD: 24 May 2007

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu May 24, 2007 1:22 pm

Hope you got your tickets early because the show is SOLD OUT.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 24, 2007 2:07 pm

Sue ellen,

I hope you got YOUR ticket! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri May 25, 2007 9:07 am

Yes I did get my ticket, and it was a great show. Baldwin's Station is such a terrific venue, a nice intimate room, with delicious food and hearty beers. Ellis Paul was in fine form, strong in voice and humour. Those folks at the front table were a little obnoxious, but hopefully they didn't bother too many people. :oops:

Here's the set list:

Maria's Beautiful Mess
followed by a story about the trip up from Virginia; his GPS was
blamed for not accounting for the extra hour spent getting around
DC during rush hour.

Jukebox on my Grave
followed by a nod to the Wikipedia feature

The Day Everything Changed
intro to Alice's Champagne Palace, at which Ellis will perform for the
grand re-opening in June

Alice's Champagne Palace
Take All the Sky You Need
Million Cameleon March
(New song for the munchkins and ankle biters)
Black Top Train (the train missed its cue here)
3000 Miles

Intermission

Let It Be (really soulful)
Intro to If You Break Down, which was played on the t.v. show "Ed"

If You Break Down
The World Ain't Slowin' Down
(the train missed this cue too)
Angel in Manhatten (during which the train finally made its appearance)
Kiss the Sun (Unplugged in the audience)
Dragon Fly Races (sad to say Dusty remains an XY)
Speed of Trees
God's Promise
(my current personal favorite)

Encore: Way Down Yonder in the Minor Key

A really spot-on show overall. And really, I hope those folks up front didn't offend anyone too much. :oops:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri May 25, 2007 9:40 am

Sue Ellen,

Thanks for the report. It's been a few years since I've been to Baldwin's and I forgot that the renovated train station does still have trains that pass by at sometimes untimely moments! Sounds like a fun show! :)

Did you remember to bring a camera? ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 25, 2007 9:41 am

Thanks Sue Ellen, I was hoping you got your ticket and would be posting a recap of the show. It's greatly appreciated here. On the DC area traffic note, I've talked myself out of more roadtrips to see shows in and around that area for just that reason. I wish I knew all the shortcuts or the best times to travel on the beltway, is it called???

Glad you made it, and Ellis too!!! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri May 25, 2007 10:17 am

Karen wrote:Did you remember to bring a camera?

Yes I did, and I think I remembered to use it. And I think I remembered to bring it home with me. If I have any shots, I'll try to post them soon.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

2bluesboys

Postby 2bluesboys » Sat May 26, 2007 7:27 pm

Sue Ellen:
Thanks for the report. I wish I could have attended this show. It looks like a beautiful venue.

Return to “3000 Miles”