Mucky Duck - Houston, TX - July 6, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Mucky Duck - Houston, TX - July 6, 2006

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:03 pm

This date has been on my mind for some time. Ellis returns to my hometown and state when he begins his tour thru the Lone Star State on his way to WoodyFest in Oklahoma.

First stop is the Mucky Duck in Houston, Tx. - This is the venue we would have seen Ellis Paul play the most. We had always enjoyed shows there with Ellis' being among our favorites. And memorable. There was a girl sitting front and center who would always want to hear '' Never Lived At All ''. She would raise her bottle of wine in salute just as Ellis would sing '' baby, bring the bottle to bed ''.

Ya gotta love fans like that. And like our own KarenZ, who will be attending most of these shows thru the south. I like to think of her as the lucky duck at the mucky duck. If Rusty and Theresa still run the duck, tell them Pat and Pam say hello. It's been too long!

Forecasts in Houston for the next 10 days show thunderstorms. Naturally. Happens to be my wife's favorite kind of weather, as long as we're inside and safe. ( No Tornado Girl in this house )

Here's wishing all travelling through Texas and Oklahoma on this musical roadtrip of roadtrips safe and sound passage.

Karen, remember, the Mark Portgugal on the menu is always good. Please keep us posted as often as you can. And remember, HYDRATE. :lol:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:24 pm

Paddy, thanks for your good wishes. The shows at the Mucky Duck have always been some of my favorites. Texas crowds in general are just really....different.....in a rowdy but respectful way. :lol: They always want to hear "Paris in a Day"....and I know Ellis loves playing it for them. :wink: It's always funny when at the end of "Paris in a Day" Ellis inserts the line "not the one in Texas....that would be considerably shorter." :lol:

Heading west on Thursday morning. Looking forward to dinner on the patio of the Duck...if the weather complies. I'll be checking in sporadically. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:39 pm

Yep, We Texans are another breed unto ourselves. It was toned down for me a bit since my folks were transplants from the wilds of New York City back in the early '50's. So while my accent had something of a drawl, it was not near as bad or should I say as GOOD as the locals.

Have heard Ellis insert the not the one in Texas line and it always made us laugh. I'm always surprised that there's even a town called Paris, Tx.

AHH, dinner on the deck of the Mucky Duck. Now you're talking, Karen. I saw there menu online last week and it has expanded a bunch. I always enjoyed the Mark Portugal sandwich there and was never brave enough to try the Sheperd's pie. Course now I'd give anything to being trying it tomorrow night. :wink:

Enjoy Houston and the Duck and all Texas has to offer visitors from yinz hometown of PixBurgh. :lol: ..... :wink:
paddy

Nance

Postby Nance » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:53 pm

Have a great time!!! Friday is my birthday...raise a glass...any kind :D

Nancy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:02 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:Have heard Ellis insert the not the one in Texas line and it always made us laugh. I'm always surprised that there's even a town called Paris, Tx.

I heard him sing Alice Champagne Palace once in Homer.....Homer New York and he did the same thing! :D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:11 pm

That Ellis Paul. He always does stuff that makes for a fun show. That's why I like him. :wink:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:11 pm

Hi everybody,

Just got to Dallas and luckily the hotel where I'm staying has a business center with a computer! Yay! Just posted a picture of EP's little girl, Ella, (who turned 2 on July 5th) in the Photograph forum.

Great show last night in Houston at the Mucky Duck. Will post a few pix when I get home sometime after July 17. Typically EP does 2 shows at the Duck, but last night there was only one show, I think because it was a weeknight. As a result, it was one L-O-N-G show - 27 songs! Two encores! :)

Setlist:
marias's beautiful mess
3000 miles
juklebox on my grave
two bends in the road
take all the sky you need
blacktop train
snow in austin
bad bad blood
god's promise
speed of trees
tornado girl [poem]
minor key
world ain't slowing down
BREAK
where the river rolls
last call (Haven't heard this in ages!)
kiss the sun
she was
did galileo pray
ballad of chris mccandless (It's been way too long - OMG I love that song!)
when we begin
rollaway bed
martyr's lounge
here she is (Wow - too long for this as well)
sweet mistakes
Encore 1:
words
Encore 2:
dear prudence

So....seems like Ellis is being true to his word and is gradually re-learning some of the old stuff....so we got to hear new old stuff. :wink: Now....if I could just convince him to resurrect "this old car".... :)

As usual, the Texas crowd was energized and rowdy. When Ellis apologized that certain songs didn't make the cut for the "best of" CD...and one guy in the audience yelled out "It's all good!"...that became Ellis' mantra for the night. With almost every song he managed to work in that phrase and it was hilarious. :lol: And he's right!

It's all good! :lol:

On to Uncle Calvin's tonight. Will check in again when I can. :)

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:51 pm

Karen - nice report ! Haven't heard Ballad of Chris McCandless in forever.... man I miss that song. Looks like it was a great show, except..... where was WHTM ?
Jeff

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:05 pm

Karen - thanks for the report - sounds like a fab show especially getting to hear Chris McCandless - one of my all time faves!

Look forward to more reports as you treck thru' Texas and Oklahoma.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:56 pm

Karen, it sounds to me like Ellis is playing hard to get. Here you are, 167 shows and counting, crossing ponds and state lines, walking into ducks and relatives and cacti, and in all that time he is saying no to ''this old car''.

I'd say Ellis is totally stringing you along. He is going to keep you guessing which of the next 167 shows will reveal the re - birth of that song.

I stand about as much of a chance hearing that Ellis played Midnight Strikes Too Soon. I'll get in line behind you. And if Mr. Paul is listening, I will wait no more than the next 167 shows I attend for you to play my fave.

Karen, something tells me this a game of cat and mouse with this song. A game that is oh so fun to play. Thanks for the Mucky Duck report.
paddy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:42 pm

Karen - that show sounds wonderful! Thanks for the update, and while you're on the road, too!

On a side note - has Ellis ever said "not the one in Maine" in "Paris in a Day????"

~L~

Return to “3000 Miles”