Texas - May 10-13, 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Texas - May 10-13, 2007

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 09, 2007 10:02 am

Folks,

Flying to Texas tomorrow for the show at Blue Rock and the subsequent 3 nights of shows. Will check in if/when I can but since I don't have a laptop or a fancy phone you may not hear from me before late Monday night. I'm counting on you all to hold down the fort and keep things going while I'm away. :)

YEE HAW!

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Thu May 17, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

big time green with envy

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 09, 2007 12:19 pm

Safe travels Karen......green with envy here. Just looked at the Blue Rock website.....looks absolutely beautiful...wishing i could be there as well....I've been to Cactus Cafe and the Duck.....both great venues to see Ellis up close and personal. The San Antonio Campfire concert series also sounds really, really cool. Have fun, stay safe, and take great notes. I'm looking forward to hearing all about the Texas trip..... :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

JennyLevE

Postby JennyLevE » Wed May 09, 2007 2:49 pm

Have great time Karen! 8) :lol:
--Jen
“Tell me which part
Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND
That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”
-- Ellis Paul

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu May 10, 2007 7:14 am

Whoo Hoo! :D
Have safe travels, Karen! Can't wait to hear ALL about it!
(how come we don't have a green with envy icon?)
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat May 12, 2007 10:24 am

Folks,

Hi from Austin! Great show at Blue Rock. Finally got to hear the new wabi-sabi song ("The Day Everything changed")live. Wow. Also hear another new children's song called "The Million Chameleon March" about a million chameleons marching on Washington - protesting for change. :) Really sweet. Took some pix that I will try to post as soon as I can when I get home. More later.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat May 12, 2007 11:53 am

Karen - thanks and trust that you and Becky are having a great time in those Texas towns! Look forward to seeing your pix when you get back home.

Safe and happy travels,

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 17, 2007 11:29 am

Folks,

I decided the only way I was going to get this report posted was to combine all four shows from last weekend...

Thursday, May 10, 2007 – Blue Rock – Wimberley, TX

I can’t begin to describe the beauty, both inside and out, that is Blue Rock. Situated on 20 acres overlooking a stone bluff, the performance room with floor to ceiling windows, floor to ceiling stone fireplace performance backdrop, and a setting sun that was a distraction to Ellis, made for a special environment. Hosts Billy and Dodee Crockett welcomed everyone and their hospitality was the ultimate. Ellis started off with the new “The day everything changed” which I heard live for the first time. It’s a keeper, of course. At the break, the audience was able to tour the Blue Rock studios and were treated to a video/audio snippet of past Blue Rock performers: John Dee Graham and Eliza Gilkyson. Blue Rock has state-of-the-art equipment and then some. Wow. When I get around to posting some pictures, you’ll see what I mean by the beauty there, although you can also take a virtual tour at www.bluerockmusic.com. One highlight of the evening was also getting to hear for the first time a new children’s song called “The Million Chameleon March” about a million chameleons who march on Washington, protesting for change. :)

The chorus:

Change, change, change, - change, change, change –
It it’s broken why not fix it
Let’s fight the fight till we licks it
A bad habit we can kicks it..

Ellis’ encore was the much-loved and most-appropriate “Last call”. So glad he’s dusted that one off again.

Friday, May 11, 2007 - Cactus Café – Austin, TX.

Opener at the Cactus was a young solo songwriter performing under the name Five Times August. I really enjoyed his set. It was a light turnout for the Cactus – not at all typical – but it’s my understanding that it was UT graduation weekend, so I suspect it made an impact. Naturally, “snow in Austin” was a big hit. Biggest surprise was that Ellis managed to get through a request for ‘Angel in Manhattan” – a song he hasn’t performed in a while – without messing up one lyric. What a memory. ;)

Saturday, May 12, 2007 – Urban Campfires - San Antonio, TX

What a surprise when Radoslav Lorcovic showed up for the next two nights of shows. Rad is living in Austin now, so I guess that explains our good fortune. Rad accompanied Ellis on keyboard except for when Ellis played keyboard (“Summertime” and “Home”) at which time Rad switched to accordion. His accompaniment on “God’s Promise” was stunning. Rad also played the accordion when Ellis moved into the audience unplugged for “Blacktop Train” – memories of New Year’s Eve flashing through my head. :)

Becky and I had lunch at Café Ole on the Riverwalk and also did a Riverwalk boat tour and walked through the Alamo courtyard. I love San Antonio! :)

Sunday, May 13, 2007 – Mucky Duck – Houston, TX.

Rad was with Ellis again and since there was only one show they decided to play on forever – doing 3 sets and saying they would play until no one was left. Although a few folks left after the 2nd set (having already heard 19 songs), quite a few stayed on….and finally after 28 songs, ending with the best version of “let it be” that I’ve ever heard, Ellis and Rad gave in and gave up. They had played more than 3 hours at that point. Highlights included a passionate cover of a Tom Waits’ “Old 55”, a really different version of “Goodbye Hollywood” (Ellis couldn’t remember how to play it) that was a special request, “kiss the Sun” (Bill E’s request) and a new incarnation of “where the river rolls” including a new title: “River Road”. “Minor Key” with Rad on accordion was wonderful as was his accordion when Ellis moved into the audience and did an unplugged “Lonesome Valley” that turned into an audience sing-a-long. Funniest quote of the evening was Ellis commenting to Rad – “There ought to be Muppet based on you.” :D Brisk CD sales in Houston.....selling out of Essentials.....

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to post the pictures tonight....sorry for the delay but I've been swamped...

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu May 17, 2007 11:52 am

Just one word - 'WOW'

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu May 17, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks for the great review Karen!!

Why am I never at the endless shows? :(

Five Times August is very popular with my Matt Nathanson friends. While I've never heard him, I hear wonderful things about him.

Rad? You lucky duck you!! He would so make a wonderful Muppet. :shock: :D

I'm glad you had fun and I'm looking forward to the pictures.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri May 18, 2007 12:50 pm

Thanks for the review and vicarious enjoyment.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

mm

Postby mm » Fri May 18, 2007 4:28 pm

Karen,
Thanks for the photos and writeups! I'm sure that your time has been precious since you've been back and we all appreciate hearing of the experiences. I am particularly impressed with that never-ending show with Rad. It sounds like playing music for the love of playing music together those two....being in the zone, players and audience.

And CONGRATULATIONS on the Wiki feature article. That is so incredibly amazing, Karen. You're a keeper!
Monica

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 18, 2007 5:21 pm

I'm much obliged, ma'am.

Thank you for the glimpses of home. :wink:

The Blue Rock looks beautiful..the campfires in San Antonio really intrigue me, Austin's Cactus Cafe on the campus of UT, and top it off with 3 sets at the Duck....color me green with the envy!!!

Be somethin' if we could all make the Texas swing someday.... :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri May 18, 2007 6:05 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:Be somethin' if we could all make the Texas swing someday.... :D

ROADTRIP!!!

We could rent an RV and follow Ellis around the state for a week. :D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Return to “3000 Miles”