Youngstown Cultural Arts Center- Seattle - Apr. 27, 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

GlennCase

Youngstown Cultural Arts Center- Seattle - Apr. 27, 2007

Postby GlennCase » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:15 am

How cool was it to see Ellis Paul ON Rachael's 30th birthday? Well, of COURSE it was great! After all, it's an Ellis Paul show. Those are always great.

A few songs into the performance, I remembered that I wanted to write down the setlist so I could share it with y'all. Thankfully, I had a sharpie and an old reciept handy.

SETLIST
---------
Maria's Beautiful Mess
Summertime
Take All the Sky You Need
Jukebox on my Grave
Alice's Champagne Palace
3,000 Miles (In Audience)
Blacktop Train (In Audience)
Home
She Was
God's Promise
Speed of Trees
Did Galileo Pray?
*New Song he called his "Wabi-Sabi folk song"* (In Audience)
Martyr's Lounge (In Audience)
The World Ain't Slowin' Down (In Audience)
Beautiful World
Last Call

It is interesting to note that he went ahead with singing "Beautiful World" after one person kept requesting it. The cool part was when he forgot lyrics, she ended up singing the parts he didn't remember. It was a great moment.

ROCK!

Glenn Case

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:44 am

I noticed that Ellis has refined the lyrics to "Summertime" a bit, especially the last verse. It gives the song more of a bittersweet nostalgia rather than the more touching memory feeling than the first demo. Be interesting to see what version finally ends up on disc.

The new song was awesome. Although I agree with Ellis-- the "Wabi-sabi folk song" probably won't work as a title. Maybe "Everything's Changed"?

The story about his GPS system that threw off "Sky" was hilarious. And he should think about adding the woman who sang "Beautiful World" to some background vocals. She was great. And "Last Call" was a great addition to the set list-- the first time I can remember hearing that in the half dozen or so shows I've been lucky enough to get to.

And to the parents who brought their kids to the show-- great job in keeping them settled down and interested in what must have been a long evening for them.

Oh yeah-- Greg Klyma was great-- funny and talented, and got the crowd going strong early on.

What a great night!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:31 am

Thanks for the reports guys - sounds like another great performance by Ellis.

Did either of you take any pix that you can post online for us poor souls 3000 miles away, to see????

Jela

Stephen

What a great show!

Postby Stephen » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:19 am

Ellis just doesn't know how to put on a bad show, does he?

We've seen him all over the country and he always puts on a fantastic show, and last night was no exception. The audience's harmonies, whether prompted ("3,000 Miles") or not ("Beautiful World"), were wonderful.

Two of the kids in the audience last night were ours. They're seasoned concert-goers, really enjoyed the show, and we really appreciate the folks who strive to put on shows in family-friendly venues. Seattle's got a lot of great places to hear music, but not all of them allow kids. (The kids are disappointed, for example, that they can't go see The Bills when they're at the Tractor Tavern later on in the spring.)

Despite the late (for him) hour, he was friendly and gracious, posing for pictures and chatting with the kids and others who stuck around after the show.

I did want to thank the organizers of this event. They've done a fantastic job in bringing in performers to a wonderful venue. Bravo!

Stephen

john

Postby john » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:08 pm

Man! You guys are fast at posting!

Wonderful evening with Ellis. Nice little venue with great sound. I missed him his last time around, and made sure I made this one. First time to this place.

Ellis of course never disappoints. He's so "there". At one point, towards the end, he was looking at his watch and someone said "We have all night", and Ellis replied, "I do to" as he took off his watch and tossed it behind him on the stage. Great moment. Hope he didn't break it. (The watch, not the moment).

The audience participation is what makes his shows so much fun. Normally, when people sing along, it bugs me, but apparently everyone who follows Ellis has a wonderful voice. Yelling out song suggestions is another irksome habit at other performances, but with Ellis, I'm thinking, "Yeah...that one. And that one...." I called for Eighteen, but alas, was treated to a different wonderful song.

I did take pictures. I was the in the front row left of middle. No flash, so many of them you could term "artsy". I'll be going through them today and I will post them on my viewing site. I'm new to this "new" site for Ellis so I'm not sure I can post them directly here. I did get some good ones. (My opinion)

And yes, kudos to the parents who kept their kids happy. I heard on little guy ask his mom "Why isn't he going to play it?" And I swear, I heard him singing during the "Beautiful" back and forth. (Another great moment that you don't find often at other shows).

In the last week I've seen David Wilcox, Leo Kottke, and now Ellis. David was ho hum for me, Leo....well Leo is always Leo and cannot be competed with, and I had such fun at Ellis. His songs always captivate me. I think all his CD's should be live. So much energy.

And what a beautiful new guitar! Sounded great.

Anyway, look for a post for the pics.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:38 pm

Stephen,

Not only does he put on one heck of a show, it's those little gaffs that make the show that much more intimate. When those arena-filling multi-million dollar acts make a mistake-- forgetting lyrics, missing notes, etc-- fans take notice and rip them for being, well... human. But in a case like performers like Ellis, the crowd becomes more a part of the performer-audience interaction. I mean seriously, stopping- full-on stopping- not even playing his guitar, just as he's just about to sing the opening lines to "Sky" to relate his GPS story? Forgetting half of the lyrics to "Beautiful World" only to be led into a duet with a member of the audience? These are the reasons why I continue to go to Ellis concerts. Those kind of moments are the ones that stand out in my memory and keep me coming back to the next show.

Now.... if only we can get him to play songs off his early stuff-- maybe "Ashes to Dust" or "Am I Home" or "Say Something"......

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:51 am

Howdy to Glenn Case..and newcomers Michael, John, and Steve. Welcome to the forum and thanks much for the recap of the show. It's always a treat to read about how audiences across the country(..and pond :D ) welcomed Ellis Paul into their listening rooms. Sounds like another wonderful evening of music by both guys on the bill Friday night.

Speaking of wishlists for older songs of Ellis', I kind of wish Ellis would consider adding songs to the setlist that fit the occasion.....liyke say he's playing in the Detroit, Michigan area (home of Ford Motor Co.) maybe at the Ark in Ann Arbor Michigan...he would automatically add "Look At the Wind Blow" ("I want to buy my ford a sail") to the setlist.

Or....he plays somewhere on a Friday Night (as was the case in West Seattle 2 nights ago) the audience is treated to "Friday Night."

Does anyone know the home of the classic car museum? Surely Karen would make the trip if Ellis started adding "This Old Car" to the list every time he played that town..... :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:41 pm

Glenn, Michael, Stephen, John,

Thanks for the reports with so many details. Those little details/happenings are what, IMHO, sets Ellis Paul shows apart from others. He sets the bar way too high. ;) The unplanned group sing-a-longs are alwasy fun....and you're right ....the occasional unplanned duets always sound great! :) I'm looking forward to hearing the GPS story - that must be a new one - and the lyric changes on "Summetime".

Welcome to our new members. I hope you'll stick around. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

john

Postby john » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:42 pm

I have gone through the pictures I took and you can find them here.....

http://diamondmask.smugmug.com/

They are in the "Music" gallery.

Feel free to look around my galleries! Comments welcome!

john

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:54 pm

Wow. Those are some really great photos. Thank you so much.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:50 pm

Awesome pictures!

I'd forgotten about the show at the Tractor last April... can't believe that was over a year ago. I even remember, now that I think about it, some of those intimate details that make the show-- in this case Ellis trying to teach the chorus to "Clarity", only to say "**** it" and head into the song. A beautiful rendition, at that.

We need to get him out to Seattle more than once a year!!

mellen

Postby mellen » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:38 pm

John,
You're picture were fantastic. So happy to see the Wilcox set, can say I have never seen a ho-hum Dave show though. You must have had an incredible week of music! [/list]

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:26 am

great photos thanks for sharing, nice sketch at te end too!!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:12 am

Great selection of photos and thanks so much for making them available to us.

The David Wilcox shots sure bring back some memories - the first concert we ever attended in the States was David Wilcox at the Iron Horse in Northampton back in 1995.

Jela

wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:15 am

I loved reading the detailed reports and really enjoyed the great photos, too!
You all did a wonderful job of bringing that show to life for us.

THANK YOU!
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:10 am

John....

Great photos...thanks for sharing them....I especially like the shadow Ellis photos....I always wanted to snap photos of shadow...now I think I will.

Is it my imagination.....or do these photos...and the recent pictures from the Florida theatre concert....find Ellis looking a tad more intense?

Does anyone else see it?
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

danaj

Postby danaj » Tue May 01, 2007 11:06 pm

I just wanted to add my thanks to everyone for bringing this show to all of us who wished we could be there. I so wanted to be at this one... you know, being a true blue (albeit rather new) convert to Ellis-ism and also a HUGE :!: fan of Klyma. But alas, the flight to Washington State was simply not feasible. Once again, thankyouthankyouthankyou :!: for the wonderful stories and the gorgeous pics! And John, you even got a few of GK! You rock! 8) (BTW, I adore the shadow pics!)

Gee, I love this board! :D
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

Return to “3000 Miles”