Iron Horse - Northampton MA - Mar. 30, 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

fullgo

Iron Horse - Northampton MA - Mar. 30, 2007

Postby fullgo » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:37 am

This was my first time seeing Mr. Paul live. I took 5 other friends and was surprised to find another group of friends from work in line behind us! This was a great show, although I missed Conversation With a Ghost. He teased us by saying he was going to sing it wth Antje Duvekot, but when she failed to come out on stage for the duet, he aborted the song.

He played Black Top Train unmiked and unplugged. Sounded great in this venue.

Overall a great show! He even signed my book...

-Joe D
Poo Tee Weet

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:20 pm

Hey Joe D, welcome aboard, and thanks for the recap. Hopefully you received a "raincheck" from Ellis for the next time you see him live. :lol:

Any chance you or anyone in your party jotted down a setlist? Was it also your first time to see Antje Duvekot live? I guess the first time is always the most memorable, but just wait, the second and third times are even BETTER!!!

Don't know the weather up that way this weekend, or whether or not you have plans to be at The Mansion on Sunday, but my guess is Ellis and Antje might just renew that "raincheck" for Conversation With A Ghost for all in attendance. Wish I could be there. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

fullgo

Postby fullgo » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:13 pm

Boy, I was too awestruck to write down a setlist. From memory, and in no particular order, he opened with Maria's Beautiful Mess. He played Black Top Train unplugged, 3000 miles, Speed of Trees, Home, Take All the Sky that You Need, Jukebox on my Grave, Alice's Champagne Palace, She Was, Snow in Austin and ended with Sweet Mistakes, encored with The World Ain't Slowin Down. He played a new song (I don't recall the title) and he also played 2 songs on piano, including Home.

Great show!

-Joe
Poo Tee Weet

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:31 pm

Welcome to the board and thanks for the report - what a treat - your first Ellis show! He just blows you away doesn't he ?

Could the other song on the piano have been 'Summertime?'

Was the new song a children's song?

Jela

fullgo

Postby fullgo » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:44 pm

Really not sure about Summertime. New song was not a children's song. It was a Zen song with a lot of zen images like rusted iron, and other stuff that exists and decays.

Can't remember the title of the Zen song. My brain is like rusted iron....

-Joe
Poo Tee Weet

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:19 pm

It's okay Joe, I can't recall the setlist from my first EP concert either. I remember being WAY too mesmerized. 8)

You did a great job remembering ALOT of the songs played. I forget the unwritten rule here: Newbies receive 3 "too mesmerized" passes. :lol:

Or something like that..... :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:35 am

Ahh Paddy, that's a fabulous idea/plan!
Newbies receive 3 "too mesmerized" passes.

I can't remember the set list from my first Ellis concert either, just a few Absolutely-Blows-Me-Away moments.
And I still don't enjoy keeping set lists - - would rather focus on the moment... ("Live in the Now"?:wink:), but got better at remembering them over time.

So, welcome Joe! Enjoy the ride!
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:44 pm

Welcome Joe and thanks for the report! I *do* remember almost the entire setlist from my first EP show....even though at the time the only EP song that I was familiar with was "Deliver Me". That fact indicates what a LCE (Life Changing Event) it was. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

rglossne

Postby rglossne » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:57 pm

I was in Northampton on Friday night too, with my daughter, a huge Ellis fan and Smith student. It was a great show. In fact the first Ellis show I ever saw was at the Iron Horse, a great venue. And I've never been able to write down a setlist! Antje was wonderful too, as always. One thing she did that was a surprise to me was the Leonard Cohen song, Famous Blue Raincoat. It's been living in my head all weekend.
The new song he sang was 'Summertime,' and I am trying to download it for my MP3 player. I went to myspace, but it said page not found. Any advice, KarenZ, or others?
Thank the Lord for the friends he cast in the play he wrote for you. --Ellis Paul

fullgo

Postby fullgo » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:30 pm

So nice to have such a warm welcome from y'all. Did I mention that he is just a nice guy, too? He came back and signed autographs and I did get him to sign my copy of his book.

Is Summertime the "Zen" song?

One question I didn't ask him is if he ever plays in standard tuning. He mentioned that he sometimes does workshops. I assume this site is the best place to hear about such things.

-Joe
Poo Tee Weet

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:58 pm

Joe,

You can listen to "Summertime" on Ellis' MySpace at:

http://myspace.com/ellispaul

I don't think it's the Zen song. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

JennyLevE

Zen Song

Postby JennyLevE » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:39 am

As of yesterday, when I was lucky enough to see Ellis play, the "zen" song was still untitled.

I'll post a full set list and review ASAP!
--Jen
“Tell me which part
Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND
That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”
-- Ellis Paul

rachelgrossinger

NOHO Ironhorse setlist

Postby rachelgrossinger » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:11 pm

Northampton setlist. I think this is about correct:
-Rachel

1) Maria's Beautiful Mess
2) Piano song, untitled (written with Kristian Bush of Sugarland) - Summerland?
3) Take all the Sky you need
4) Jukebox on my grave
5) New song - something about wabi sabi (beauty and decay over time)....zen song?
6) 3,000 Miles on his old Santa Cruz (I believe)
7) Blacktop train
8) She is
9) Kiss the sky
10) Home
11) Snow in Austin
12) Speed of trees
13) Sweet mistakes
14) World ain't slowin' down

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:20 pm

Welcome, Rachel! :)

The piano song is "Summerime". You were very close. :)

Not sure about the She Is. Do you mean "she was"? - or is this a "had to be there" joke? :)

KarenZ

rachelgrossinger

Postby rachelgrossinger » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:28 pm

I had a little notebook to take down the setlist, among some other comments/thoughts/blah blah....which I just mindlessly copied above....not a "had to have been there joke." More likely a too many margaritas later typo or two:)

You're right; She Was and Summertime.
Show was great.
-Rach

Return to “3000 Miles”