Joyful Noise Coffeehouse - Lexington, MA - April 14, 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

gundicus

Joyful Noise Coffeehouse - Lexington, MA - April 14, 2007

Postby gundicus » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:56 am

All right - who's in for the show w/ Antje in Lexington next month? I got my ticket last week - anyone else from the boards going to be there? I'm going stag this time, so be sure to say hi if you see me (i'm the short one...so look for the 'space' in the crowd - that'll be where i'm standing! LOL)! One of these days i'll meet up with some of you guys! I know you're always at the shows!
Gundy
"To see what is takes only human eyesight; to see what could be requires vision" - CB

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:24 pm

I am hoping to go - perhaps with all (or most of) the children as well. Unfortunately this is running up into the beginnings of baseball and softball season here, so at the moment I am not certain if I will be there or not. It is a venue I have been to many times - benches are a bit hard, but the people are great there.
Jeff

gundicus

see y'all tonight - maybe

Postby gundicus » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:46 pm

Well, after much hemming & hawwing (is that how you spell it? I'm never sure!) i've decided that I'm definitely going tonight. I was on the fence b/c i've run myself into the ground physically doing 3 plays at once. I'm currently looking into buying stock in kleenex b/c my allergies are so far gone - oh the congestion! But I decided it was now or never b/c the next 3 shows E is playing are all dates i'm scheduled to be onstage myself...tricky being a performer and wanting to see performances...gets tough sometimes (of course, he's getting paid - me, not so much - but I love theater - so...)!
So - i'll see whoever is there from the boards tonight - I don't remember how to get there - but am sure i'll find my way - i'll just follow the 'no W' and 'impeach bush' bumper stickers! LOL
I'll be going solo (and sadly I don't have an EP lapel pin...bummer)- so if any of you see me (short...like almost ground level short, stature - short brown hair & glasses - wearing a carhart blue canvas/duck jacket ) feel free to say 'hey'. One of these days i'm gonna meet everyone on this board - god knows I go to enough of his shows - how we keep missing each other i'll never know!
Looking forward to an amazing show - and with Antje no less - ROCK!
Gundy - a.k.a. Chris-
"To see what is takes only human eyesight; to see what could be requires vision" - CB

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:35 am

gundicus wrote:Here's the set list Ellis & Antje played tonight in Lexington. It was a fantastic show - as always. I felt a little weird being in a Baptist church since ellis usually does the universalist churches - and the crowd was a bit subdued (it took quite a bit for them to catch on for the chorus of 3,000 miles - and even then it was a quiet bunch...not at all like Passim's!)- but it was a phenomenal night of wonderful performing!

Antje's set:
Dandelion
Judas
Hold On - with Ellis singing Harmony
coney island song (it's new & I didn't catch the title - probably just coney island!)
Sex band-aid
Christian boys (which Ralph assures me is coming out on her next release - hooray!)
Pearls (minus the m'f@@@...b/c it was an all-ages show...she caught herself just in time - it was cute!)
Long Way (due to popular audience demand)

Ellis:

Maria's Beautiful Mess - as ever, the opener
Summertime - on piano & "in the key of white" according to Ellis b/c he hasn't mastered the black keys yet - "sort of like level 2 on xbox" :shock: he says.
Jukebox on my Grave
Take all the Sky You Need
God's Promise
Speed of Trees
Home
Alice's Champagne Palace - duet w/ Antje
Way over Yonder in the Minor Key - due w/ Antje
Last Call - duet w/ Antje (gorgeous - simply gorgeous harmony on this one - I wish they would record this version - it's a keeper!) :D
Blacktop train - from the floor - out with the audience - no mic
3,000 miles - again, from the floor
Race of the Dragonfly - a new kid's song he just wrote - he was jealous of his daughter's affinity for the likes of Raffi apparently - so decided to start writing some kids songs so she'd listen to him! :) It's a cute song!
World Ain't Slowin' Down

Encores:
He was going to do 'Snow in Austin' but his 'fingers want to keep playing the dragonfly song & can't remember this one - how about we do something else?' - so he chose Conversation with a Ghost instead...which, of course - was stellar & gorgeous - and Antje sang harmony which added that melodic rich dimension the recorded version has -

The Night Hank Williams Came to Town by Johnny Cash - with Antje-

A wonderful show - as always - Antje played for about an hour & ellis played for an hour and a half - it just doesn't get any better than this!

Ok - you can all be green with envy now! 8)

I'm going to bed - i have rehearsal in less than 12 hours - and have been up since 7 a.m. - but it was worth it! :P
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:36 am

Richard + Jela wrote:Thanks so much for the report - you're right I am green with envy.

Sounds like a wonderful show and altho' I heard the Dragonfly song on the radio yesterday, it must have been great to hear it sung live.

We are so pleased that Antje is coming over to the UK later this year and we have already booked for the House Concert that she's doing at our friend's house. Just waiting for some more tour dates to be released.

Did you take any pix?

Jela
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

gundicus wrote:I didn't snap any photos unfortunately. I've got my new cell phone w/ a camera in it - but i'm just very weird about taking photos at concerts, even without the flash I feel funny about it...yeah, I know...I need help!
Plus - i'm short & I was in the back - so all I would have gotten is E's forehead anyhow! I'll give you a visual though - E was wearing blue jeans & a black shirt made by Fender (yup, that Fender, the guitar people) - which was NOT his usual black velvet Johnny Cash shirt - we were shocked! Antje made him wear it because she had dressed in black jeans with sequins & a red top - anticipating that he would be wearing his usual black embroidered velvet shirt - but he fooled her...much to her dismay! So he ended up wearing this other shirt his friend brought him so they would match - how cute is that? :) After the show he put on a blazer he got at Filene's Basement (bought it for the show - but obviously didn't wear it due to Antje's wardrobe crisis!) - he looked very good, as ever. Not sure that helps - but...it's something!
I envy YOU - i've always wanted to go to the UK - never been...you're lucky! Let us know how the house show goes!

KarenZ
Site Admin

paddyinthepub wrote:Two of my favorite things to wake up to are: a cup of coffee and a review of one of my musical heroes.

Thanks for the report gundy.....it's much appreciated. :D

I got a kick out of Ellis' need to give Raffi a run for his money. :lol:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:38 am

Great report, Chris! Thanks for the detail. Please do consider submitting the setlist into the Setlist Project database. I'm sure Shari would appreciate the help so that the database can continue to grow! :)

Ellis Paul Setlist Project

KarenZ

gundicus

Postby gundicus » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:49 pm

Hi Karen,

Yeah, as soon as I get a free hour i'm gonna add that to the setlist project. I've actually got more tidbits & humorous remarks that both of them said but I was way too tired to throw them in there last night- so those will come with the revised & expanded set list - to come out ASAP. I've got 2 rehearsals a day now for my plays - they open within a week of each other - so i'm a bit crazy schedule-wise - but I promise I'll get to it as soon as I can spare an hour.

Chris-

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:41 pm

I too was at the show, which was a great one for sure. I don't usually notice sound quality, but last night the sound seemed exceptional. We were in the church part and not the hall so maybe that was the reason. Lots of funny comments, loved the new Dragon Fly song, and Christian Boys.. WOW....

Ellis did tell a funny story about showing Arlo Guthrie his tatoo and then another story about Nora asking to see it. That encounter I believe led to a wedding, (for Nora ?) to someone from Germany.!! I couldn't quite hear the whole story. Also Antje told us how Ellis got a Britanny Spears like reception at the school he performed at the other day. I guess the students have been studying his music for awhile and they were very excited to see him...( I wish they had school like that when I was a kid!!)

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:34 pm

Hey All-

I have a few pictures from the show I just haven't had a chance to download yet...give me a couple of days! Sorry!
Susan

Return to “3000 Miles”