Club Cafe - Pittsburgh, PA. - March 17, 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Club Cafe - Pittsburgh, PA. - March 17, 2007

Postby KarenZ » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:57 pm

Hi folks,

I promise to post a show report and some additional pictures from last night's show tomorrow. In the meantime, here's one shot of Ellis playing his brand new Yamaha piano. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:50 am

This of course was a great show, nothing new there. Ellis Paul's voice was strong and emotive, and he navigated problems with the guitar feed with finess and grace, moving away from the mic when the guitar kept cutting out on the first three songs. He moved to his brand new keyboard for the fourth song, and wondered out loud if a leprechaun was going to mess that up as well, but the sound was amazing. He moved back to guitar for 3000 miles, and tried putting the plug through the guitar strap; that didn't work and the sound man brought him some duct tape. That didn't resolve the issue, so Ellis moved to his other guitar, which, of course, "knows only certain songs." After a few more songs and a brief intermission, Ellis borrowed opener Bill Toms' guitar for the second set. Here's the set list:

Alice's Champagne Palace
Take All the Sky You Need
Maria's Beautiful Mess
Summertime (Keyboard)
3000 Miles
God's Promise
Sweet Mistakes
Speed of Trees
Home (Keyboard)
Black Top Train
Jukebox on My Grave
She Was
Snow in Austin
Just Don't Want to Get Out of My Bed (new kids' song)
Words
Martyr's Lounge
World Ain't Slowing Down
Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key (Encore)

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:21 am

Karen.....thanks for the photo of Ellis on his new keyboard at Club Cafe. Look forward to hearing additional reports on the show. SueEllen, thanks for the recap and setlists....WOW.....leprachuans at work for sure. Reminded me a little of Ellis' stories from his book "Notes from The Road" where lots of "strangely odd" things were happening with the stage equipment one night.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:50 pm

Hi folks,

Ellis' vocals at the Club Cafe in Pittsburgh Saturday night were out of this world. From another realm. On another planet. Even swoonworthy. :)

To add to Sue Ellen's report, Ellis commented early on that every Irishman in Pittsburgh must have been within a 6-block radius of the Club. And he was right. I had never experienced St. Patricks' Day on Pittsburgh's South Side before - now I understand exactly what "pub crawl" means. :shock:

The audience at the Cleveland show, the night before, named Ellis' new keyboard Moses after Moses Cleveland - the city's founder. Quite a few Pittsburgh middle names were suggested - all of which escape me now. :)

Ellis questioned if the phrase "sleeping like a baby" made any sense. :)

"Blacktop Train", "martyr's lounge" and "eighteen" were all performed unplugged in the audience. As a result, my friend Ammon was the recipient of the "folk lap dance' - much to his delight. ;)

Opening act, Bill Toms was wonderful and much to his credit and talent easily reined in the noisy folks against the wall who, early on, were quite annoying to me and the folks nearby. Bill's set:

1.losing you is killing me
2. chasing a dream
3. city of fear
4. west end kid
5. 4th of July
6. walking with an angel tonight

When the leprechauns were playing havoc with Ellis' guitar, Bill Toms was nice enough to lend his guitar to Ellis. Ellis played Bill's Takamine on "she was", "snow in austin", and "words".

Here's a shot of Bill:

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:51 pm

We were having "wierd" sound problems at our coffee house too Saturday night.. Leprechauns indeed..

Return to “3000 Miles”