Ashland Coffee & Tea: Ashland, VA 10 March 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sue Ellen

Ashland Coffee & Tea: Ashland, VA 10 March 2007

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:57 am

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I buckled my five year old into the car at 4:30: certainly not that I would be stuck in traffic for an hour just north of the Occuquan or how chagrinned I would feel when I realized Ashland was actually farther south than King's Dominion. But the first post-paternity leave show east of the Mississippi was well worth it. Ellis was spot-on, even though I thought the audience was a little flat. I think the two children's songs are great, especially "Dragonfly Races;" even though we didn't hear if Dusty was able to kick it in and win the race. This is not only a great song, but would make a delightful book. Y'all have to hear this song and tell me if you can't picture a pond with dragon flies abuzz around the cat tails and wild flowers in that crepuscular blush just before sunrise on a warm summer morning.

Unfortunately the drive home was not the breeze I had imagined. My heart sunk to my stomach when I read "Washington 72 Miles," and then on down to my feet when it started to pour as I passed Spotsylvania. Crawling at 45 miles per hour it took forever to reach the Capitol Beltway. I was momentarily relieved when I finally crossed over the Potomac and saw the Black Eyed Susan's on the Welcome to Maryland sign, just before I noticed the gas light and wondered how long it had been on. I realized it must have been on for quite a while when I finally found an open gas station on Route 29; I didn't know my gas tank could hold 20 gallons. Although the rain had stopped, there was now white stuff surrounding the car on the last leg home: pea-soup thick fog. I was really glad when I was finally able to lug the soundly sleeping five year old up two flights of stairs to bed. She also got a huge kick out the show, so it was well worth the trouble.

Sue Ellen

Oh. And a special thanx to our table mate who kept my daughter entertained with balloon figures during intermission. The hula girl was quite impressive.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:03 am

Glad that you both got home safe and sound. Thanks for the report and look forward to hearing those new songs sometime.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:54 am

Sue Ellen,

Thanks for the report! I think last night's audience was the first to hear "dragonfly races" so that was worth the long drive! :)

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:05 pm

Yes, Dragonfly Races alone was well worth the adventure.

I forgot to mention that an armadillo was selling cd's last night. :lol:

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:23 pm

Was the armadillo in a costume??? C'mon - give us the scoop! :D

OMG! I just found a website called Armadillo Online! The subtitle is Not your average speed bump on the information superhighway! :D

KarenZ
Sue Ellen wrote:I forgot to mention that an armidillo was selling cd's last night. :lol:

Sue Ellen
Last edited by KarenZ on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:17 pm

Like this:

But posed on it's hind legs, with a hat and gun holster.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:11 pm

EEUUWWWWW!

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:59 pm

It was very cute. My five year old wanted to play with it, but I had flashbacks of Owen Meany, and feared she'd pull the legs off, or do some other disasterous act in her curiousity. I had to use my best mean mommy voice to keep her away from it. :twisted:

wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:50 am

Oh you guys are making my Monday morning MUCH better :lol:
Can't wait to hear the new song!

Glad you have fun, Sue Ellen, and got home safely.
-wendy

Return to “3000 Miles”