NM/AZ March 2-4, 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Patti

NM/AZ March 2-4, 2007

Postby Patti » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:05 pm

Okay we are all awaiting the word,... what has a month long "vacation", Wikipedia exposure and diaper changing done for Ellis's show...

How many times did he PLAY This Old Car for Karen?? (lol)

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:49 pm

I am patiently awaiting news.

I think we should pitch in a get Karen a laptop and a wireless card so we'll never have to wait for her roadtrip to end before getting a review again. :D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:43 pm

Folks,

Just got in the door (10:30pm) after my weekend in NM/AZ with BeckyG. I'm editing Patti's subject line and will post details/pictures when I can. :)

I like your idea, Bonnie. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:52 pm

Folks,

Sorry it’s taken me so long to post a report of last weekend’s shows, but I’ve had an extremely full-plate for the past couple weeks with work/family responsibilities infringing on my free time.

I arrived in Albuquerque at 11:30am on Friday March 2 where fellow road-warrior BeckyG, who had arrived from OKC an hour earlier, was waiting at the gate for me. We picked up a rental car and started the 4-hour drive to Pinos Altos. The 2-3 hour drive south on I-25 was fine but we had to fight off motion-sickness during the 40 or 50 miles that cut across to Silver City on Highway 152. We found out later that a 16-mile stretch of Highway 152 contains 290 bends in the road (and I mean S-bends!) We kept saying, “when is it going to end?” :)

Got to the Pinos Altos Opera House early enough for dinner (the Opera House connects to the Buckhorn Saloon) with BillE and his wife and managed to snag seats next to Ellis’ parents in the second row. One of the first comments Ellis made was that with his parents in the second row he felt like he was at a high school talent show. There were quite a few jokes from Ellis about the town’s name – Pinos Altos – including “I had to ask what Pinos Altos was. Imagine my disappointment.” :)

Having been on hiatus for nearly 6 weeks, Ellis was a tiny bit rusty on lyrics. Somehow I managed to come to his rescue, not once but twice. (Oh the pressure!) The first time was on the 4th song - “The Only Way”. Pinos Altos is 7000+ feet above sea level, which can interfere with one’s ability to catch one’s breath so there was a bottle of oxygen and an oxygen mask on stage for Ellis. I knew he was having difficulty getting enough breath and when he paused momentarily during the song I initially thought that’s what he was doing (catching his breath) but then realized he was struggling for the next line of lyric…..which was confirmed when he looked right at me…(thankfully I hadn’t zoned out) and was able to supply “But if I don’t feel safe”…..which got him back on track. Whew. :)

After the story about Homer, Alaska and folks who live there all having a story he said “There must be a song in Pinos Altos somewhere.” (I think he liked saying Pinos Altos.) :)

We got to hear a brand new song that will be on a children’s album Ellis is working on. Not sure of the title but I’m guessing it might be “My bed has four wheels”. The refrain has the little boy (or girl) saying “But I just don’t want to get out of my bed.” Really cute! :)

He took a hit of oxygen after that and said in a high voice, “Edmund Hillary from Everest. It’s f-ing cold up here.” :) Ellis was in rare form – energized I suspect from being back in the saddle again and having his parents there.

He told the Texas snowstorm story and started playing the opening chords of “snow in Austin”…..then after a few more chords said “Give me the first line Karen”. Amazing I had it – “I woke up to frost on the window” and he was on his way. After those two saves he had to do the request I shouted out for the encore – “Minor key”. :)

Great show. And visiting Pinos Altos feels like stepping back in time. Make sure you see the photos I posted. I will post the complete setlist on the setlists site.

The next morning Becky and I got an early start for the 3-hour drive to Tucson so we could stop for lunch in Tombstone, AZ. For dinner we hooked up with a friend of Becky’s who moved to Tucson a few years ago then headed to the venue – the San Pedro Chapel. Ellis cracked a bunch of jokes about performing in a deconsecrated Roman Catholic church. The acoustics in the adobe building were ideal for singing unplugged, so Ellis moved into the aisle and did the entire second set unplugged in the audience. It was great to hear “last call” as the encore. Will post the entire setlist on the setlists site.

It was a shorter drive from Tucson to Cave Creek for the outdoor show (who knew?!) at the Cave Creek Coffee Company and Winery. (You may have noticed the C4 on the wall behind the stage in the photos I posted.) Becky and I had two terrific salads in the Cave Creek Restaurant before the show. When the sun went down, so did the outdoor temperature so we were thankful for borrowed jackets and outdoor bonfires. Hopefully the pictures I posted serve as a better description than I could ever write. What a great place….and Dave, the owner, really treated us well. When Ellis commented that his fingers were frozen after starting out with "Summerime" on a beautiful-sounding Yamaha piano, Dave lit one of those 10-foot high torches and dragged it across the stage so that it was behind Ellis.....providing a warm back and cold front. :) Ellis did a folk lap dance for “Blacktop Train” when he left the stage to play unplugged in front of the front row of folks. Bonnie, the dirt floor for “Blacktop Train” prompted Ellis to comment that he needed wood! (And Flynn too I thought!) :) I tried my best to stomp on dirt but it was tough! Ellis started the second set with “welcome home to Maine” for his parents and for friends of his parents who also hailed from Maine. Dave had requested “Bad Bad Blood” so Ellis attempted it for the encore saying he was doubtful he could get through it….and forewarned Becky and I that we might be needed to help with lyrics. If he only knew how many times she and I have tried to get through those lyrics without screwing up! Sadly….we failed him on the last verse…(although Becky did come up with “shake and bake”)….and now I will never forget that the last verse begins with the words “live, live”. It was great fun….even though the first thing he said to us afterwards was that his “monitors” had failed him. :) Will post the entire setlist on the setlists site.

A terrific weekend of shows to complement my first time ever visit to the southwest. :)

If I think of any other details, I'll post them later.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:36 pm

After 2 saves you requested Minor Key?????... I think you blew your best shot for This Old Car!!!

Sounds awesome Karen....thanks for the review and the pictures..

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:14 pm

Patti,

I play the odds. ;)

Karenz

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:14 pm

Oh! Just was reminded of an important detail (as I was inputting the setlists on the setlists site) that I forgot to mention from the Pinos Altos Opera House show! Ellis did NOT play "3000 Miles" even though BillE requested it!!! :D :D :D

KarenZ

shari

Postby shari » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:46 pm

Hi All! Here are the links to the setlists.... Thanks for posting them Karen!

http://ellispaul.setlistarchives.org/sh ... =200703023
http://ellispaul.setlistarchives.org/sh ... =200703033
http://ellispaul.setlistarchives.org/sh ... =200703043

I hope that everyone is well!!!

Shari

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:15 am

Karen - thanks for the report and the setlists. It is nice to see some rarities e.g. Bad, Bad Blood, Last Call and Rattle my Cage on the set lists.

Wonder if he'll make that new song 'Four wheels on my bed' available on 'My Space' so that we can listen in?

Jela

Becky

Postby Becky » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:49 am

Thanks for the report, Karen! What a great time we had. When you mentioned that torch on stage at Cave Creek, I remember sitting there worrying a bit as flames were practically leaping from it. Did you say then that it would be a perfect backdrop for "Ring of Fire"?? I was relieved when Ellis finished his song and was able to turn the fire down without getting burned. And when he unplugged from the stage and played down at the front, there was a tray filled with tea light candles burning...I was watching out for him to be sure he didn't get burned then, too! I've always been a bit of a worrier...it's just my nature :D
Can't wait for the next road trip whenever that may be...
Becky

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:59 am

Thank you both Becky and Karen for sharing what sound like extraordinary shows with us. Thanks Shari for the setlist links.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:49 pm

Oh wow....this is really kinda funny. :) I'm listening to Ellis singing "Last Call" on WUMB right now.....and because I'm in my office, I have the volume kinda low....so when I heard the opening lines I initially thought it was someone *covering* Ellis! But it's Ellis! Yikes! I guess his voice has changed over the years more than I realized. ;) But just now hearing the "Tarzan swinging through the jungle and Godzilla crushing buildings and all" line again (having been replaced by "late movie reruns, they're old friends when you need one") reminded me that when Ellis performed "Last Call" in Pinos Altos, NM (after his 6-week Babyville, VA hiatus) Tarzan and Godzilla were resurrected! :) It really surprised me, let me tell you.....and later, when I asked about them magically reappearing, he said he had no idea how or why. Too funny. That's what six-weeks of changing diapers does to 'ya. Regression on many levels. :D Talk about "old friends when you need them". ;)

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:34 pm

Too funny Karen. Must be that darn word machine running in his head. :wink:

My wife has been more than a lil miffed when Ellis messes with the mix. Most obvious case in point was Paris in a Day, although I forget the change that had her griping about it. I said "Look, don't tell me, tell Ellis!"

For what it's worth, I hope Godzilla hangs around! :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:04 pm

3 great shows - and what a set of stories you have from them !

I've got to go with Patti thoguh - how could you not have asked for This Old Car ? How could he have refused you ?

Nice to see some (old) new songs in the rotation - and the children's CD will surely be a wondrous experience - to write and to hear.
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:53 am

Folks,

The memory part of the gray-matter just tossed out another tidbit from the show in Cave Creek, AZ. Earlier in the day....or maybe it was the day before... I had mentioned to Ellis' mom and dad that Ellis is his own worst marketer in that he almost never remembers to mention his website and discussion board at shows. (This was after his parents learned about my work here.) Then during the Cave Creek show Ellis broke a string and while he was changing it asked folks for questions. There were one or two questions....then there was a tiny bit of a lull....and I think Ellis said "Any others?".....to which his dad, Ed, promptly responded with "Tell us about your website!' That Ed! What a guy! :D We hit a one-day record on the website a day or two later......so I'm wondering if there's any correlation.... ;)

KarenZ

Return to “3000 Miles”