The Mansion- Middletown, NY - April 1, 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Kiska

The Mansion- Middletown, NY - April 1, 2007

Postby Kiska » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:38 pm

Mmm..I thought i posted this already but I don't see it. I must have done something wrong.
Anyway...

I have two reservations for the Mansion show in NY, beginning of April.
I won't be able to go. Does anyone want to take my spot?
They are $25 each

Thanks,Monika

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:14 pm

This venue looks so cool...hope to see Ellis there someday. I'm not sure it will be this go around, but thanks for the offer Monika.

I noticed just now that Antje Duvekot opens for Ellis here. It's on a Sunday afternoon, with a 3pm start time listed.

A visit to the venue's website says this:

Ellis Paul
Sunday April 1st , 2007 ~ 3pm
$22 members / $25 non
Ellis Paul is one of the leading voices in America's thriving singer-songwriter/ folk circuit. His charismatic, personally authentic performance style has influenced a generation of artists away from the artifice of pop, and closer towards the realness of folk. Ellis’s songs regularly appear in hit movie and TV soundtracks - he has bridged the gulf between the modern folk sound and the populist traditions of Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger more successfully than perhaps any of his songwriting peers. Ellis is a Friends of Music favorite. Please, if you aren’t familiar with Ellis, trust me, and reserve today. This is not a April Fools joke. The show will sell out.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Kiska

Postby Kiska » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:11 pm

I found someone.

Thanks.

JennyLevE

I'll Be There!

Postby JennyLevE » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:33 pm

I don't know if anyone else from the board is planning on going to this show, but I will be there.
I am so excited! :lol:
--Jen
“Tell me which part
Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND
That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”
-- Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:59 pm

Jen,

It's a definite maybe. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

JennyLevE

Getting Closer!

Postby JennyLevE » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:08 pm

Now that we are getting closer to this show -- less than two weeks out -- I was wondering if anyone else has plans to attend.
--Jen
“Tell me which part

-- Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:18 pm

Jen,

Sadly, my previous maybe is now a no. :cry:

But I hope you can make it! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

barb62

Postby barb62 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:30 am

Jen,

Yes, I will be there - I've been looking forward to this show for a few months now. I saw Ellis at the Mansion last year and it is a great place!

Two more weeks!

barb62

JennyLevE

Set List and Review!

Postby JennyLevE » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:07 am

Today is a really busy day for me. I will post a set list and a more complete review ASAP. For now let me just say that the show was phenomenal!
--Jen

More to follow -- I promise
“Tell me which part

-- Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:07 am

Folks,

A friend who was at yesterday's show at The Mansion said this about the new - still untitled - "Zen" song:

He did a new song--untitled at this time---something like Wabi Sabi---have your heard it? It's a real keeper about the Japanese concept that as things age they can either just get old---or better----and of course he relates that to a relationship---very sweet song---

KarenZ

JennyLevE

Set List and Review!

Postby JennyLevE » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:44 am

OK so here we go -- I'll never do it justice, but here goes nothing. It was one of those days (as I’m sure always is with Ellis) that you just had to be there.

Antje Duvekot opened for Ellis. She was amazing. I posted her set list in her thread on "looking for my friends" but I’ll put it here again. She was absolutely remarkable and sweet as can be.

Set List:
1. Dandelion
2. Christian Boys
3. I Was Lost
4. Judas
5. New "Happy" Song – untitled (She said that she was doing an interview and she was asked if all of her songs come from personal experiences. After saying that for the most part they were, her interviewer asked her if she was suicidal and she decided that it was time to write a completely "inauthentic" -- as she called it-- happy song)
6. Pearls (with Ellis Paul)
Encore: Hold On (with Ellis Paul)

After an intermission Ellis was on.

Set List:
1. Maria's Beautiful Mess
2. Summertime -- on only the white keys. He is so proud of him new keyboard, but he was joking around saying it ways about 100 lbs and he can only play 2 songs. This song is still evolving and there were some new, slightly more provocative lines, which have been added since the song appeared on myspace.
3. the new "zen" or Wabi Sabi song. It is a great song with many great images running though the entire song. Still no title.
4. Jukebox On My Grave -- a special birthday request
5. Home -- of course, accompanied by the story of the wedding and wanting to write a song and the joke about killing the sheriff but not the deputy.
6. Alice's Champagne Palace -- With Antje.
7. Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key -- With Antje. This is when he first brought up his Woody Guthrie Tattoo. It became the unofficial theme of the concert from this point on.
8. Last Call -- with Antje. There was an interesting moment at the end to the song. Either a grandfather clock in the venue was striking 5 o'clock in perfect harmony with Ellis or Ellis was playing his guitar in a manner that sounded exactly like a grandfather clock. Either way it sounded fantastic and worked really well.
9. Blacktop Train -- unplugged and acoustic.

Requests:
10. She Was
11. My Bed Has Four Wheels -- one of the new Children's songs. Ellis said that he hopes to have the new kids CD out in the next few months.
12. 3000 miles

By this point Ellis had already told the story about how he had the opportunity to show his tattoo to Arlo Guthrie and to Nora. When Ellis asked if anyone had any questions someone asked where his tattoo was and the next second Ellis was stripping on stage (Just kidding). He did bear his shoulder and show everyone the tattoo and then just laughed and said that he couldnt believe that he had just done that. Then he returned to playing...

13. The World Aint Slowin’ Down -- Ellis spoke about how the song was in Me, Myself and Irene and that he got a check with a comma in it. He also mentioned that his wife, the linguist, didn’t like the song She Was very much because of the sheer magnitude of "aint"s in the song. Ellis happily responded that he also wrote the song TWASD and that bought her a house. Then said "Aint that something." Everyone found that one amusing.
14. Let It Be (with Antje)
15. Did Galileo Pray? (with Antje) -- he spoke about how he was featured in the physics magazine.
Encore: The Night Hank Williams Came To Town -- (OK, so he can play thee songs on the piano.)

The show was fantastic. There was such energy in the room and Ellis was having a great time. He asked us not to repeat most of what happened at the show -- OOOPS :wink: -- Sorry.

All in all, it was one of my most favorite shows.

-- Jen
Last edited by JennyLevE on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Tell me which part

-- Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:49 am

Jen,

Thanks for such a terrific review! All the little details makes it the next best thing to being there. :) And although I don't usually speak for other people, I'm gonna break my own rule by speaking for everyone on the board and say we promise not to repeat anything we've read here. ;)

KarenZ

wendy

Postby wendy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:38 am

Agreed: GREAT review, Jen!
Thanks for sharing all those details; they are indeed what makes each show so special.
-wendy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:33 pm

Jen - it's all in the details........... great review !
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:18 pm

Jen, your review of Ellis' show at the mansion was detail filled and a joy to read again, just now. Thanks for the attention to detail folks like us enjoy reading. It allows me to live vicariously. :D

Your account was so good, in fact, I'd like to suggest you find a window in your schedule where you can comfortably attend about 6 weeks worth of Ellis' shows - on the guest list of course - and document the experience.

I know...in our dreams...... :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

JennyLevE

I WISH!!!!

Postby JennyLevE » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:22 pm

I WISH!!!!
:lol:
--Jen
“Tell me which part