Tin Angel - Philly - Jan. 20, 2007 - w/Antje Duvekot

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Tin Angel - Philly - Jan. 20, 2007 - w/Antje Duvekot

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:20 am

I have had these 2 shows at Tin Angel in Philadelphia in sight since they went up on Ellis' Tour Dates page. It's hard to believe I am about to see Ellis Paul, in concert, at Tin Angel. :shock:

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to see Ellis perform at this venue. Why? Simple, really! Ellis told us it was a great venue. There's a bit more to the story, though. You see, we were about to leave Houston for Pittsburgh...late '97...early '98. Ellis was playing the Mucky Duck and of course we were there. We spoke to Ellis after the show, and told him of our pending move to Pittsburgh. Without hesitation, Ellis answered the very question we had been pondering - when he said:

"Oh, there's a great club there, called "Tin Angel." Now of course, he was talking about the Tin Angel in Philadelphia.....not Pittsburgh. The trouble was, there was a little club in Pittsburgh called "Tin Angel". It was a notable restaurant/bar sitting atop Mt. Washington overlooking the beautiful skyline of downtown Pittsburgh. For months, I combed the papers looking for info on concerts at Tin Angel.

I finally realised the Tin Angel of which he spoke was, in fact, in Philadelphia. I did get to see Ellis while living in Pittsburgh, at a venue called Rosebud in the Strip District. Rachael McCartney opened and joined Ellis for harmony vocals on a song or two.

So I have lived in Philly for 2 years now.....and have seen Ellis twice since moving here....once in Mt.Holly, New Jersey and once in Ogunquit, Maine.

It's high time I see Ellis play the Tin Angel, in Philadelphia. The bonus for me is that's it's 2 shows - and - with Antje Duvekot opening. It's come full circle really, having seen for myself what a great venue Tin Angel is. The two concerts I've attended there thus far were both to see Antje Duvekot. "Good things come to those that wait." It's been nearly 10 years since Ellis had me thinking we'd see him soon at Tin Angel. :shock:

It's a WXPN Presents show...hope that translates to a packed house for both shows......I'll let you know.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:39 pm

Paddy, I have been away from the computer all day..but meant to say have an awesome time at the showS tonight. I'm jealous but know I will feel like I was there when I read your in depth report!! (looking forward to it)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:36 am

Thanks Patti, we did indeed have fun at the showS at Tin Angel this evening. Both shows were played to packed houses. I'll have alot more to say on these shows a bit later...stay tuned.........but before I go, I want to say that it was great to see Ellis and Antje on stage together(my first time) and likely their last for a while. It was an anniversary show of sorts, celebrating at Tin Angel, where Ellis met and heard Antje perform for the first time, a little more than a year ago. I'm so glad we were there to hear them sing together. And to hear Ellis say that the apprenticeship of having Antje under his wing was coming to an end. Well done Ellis, her songs are everything you hinted they would be when you told us you thought she was the next great American song writer. You were right. It's time for her to fly free, it's clear to me that she is ready. Her two opening sets tonight showed that. She was stellar tonight, just bursting with confidence, and impressive as always. Her sense of humor ever present, she said she had been letting Ellis headline shows for her. She is funny.

more to come.........
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:58 am

Ellis's cold has brought out the drug pushers amongst his fans. He has gotten more advice on how to beat his month long cold, none of them have worked. He told the crowd at both shows up front he had a cold, and he needed help singing all the songs we knew the words to. While speaking, his cold was apparent. Then, magically, as he started to sing, I was reminded of how Mick Jagger speaks to the crowd one way, then sings to them another. Ellis Paul sang his heart and soul out tonight. And for the most part, at times, his voice. He made the most of it, and though the setlists were a tad short, every song was sung with his usual passion and the stories between songs were as entertaining as I've ever heard him tell. He spoke of having the highest voice of any folksinger with testicles...but not tonight. He joked that he had the low bass thing going on with his voice and started impersonating Barry White. He also felt like Tom Waits at times he'd later say.

He relayed to us that he and his wife are having their baby on Thursday, and he told of being a bit nervous about being there since it will be a C-Section. He's okay with holding her hand, he's just not sure he can watch. He's thinking blindfold. He thanked us all for being there tonight, these two shows were paying for the Ceasarian. He really appreciated our support, going on to say we were "DOULAS" in a way. His daughter will be named Sophie Rose. Her name translated: "smart flower," since Sophie means Wisdom, and Rose means Rose. He is clearly excited about her birth next week, though he hinted before one song that he was having one of those weeks where he wished the world would just slow down.

There's alot more to say about how special these 2 shows were, I'll add a bit more tomorrow. For all the night owls, left coasters, and early morning risers, here are the setlists from both shows.

7pm early show

Antje's set: *indicates Kate Klim on keys and harmony vocal

Hero *
Jerusalem*
Christian Boys
Dandelion
South*

Anniversary story.....Ellis and Antje meeting at Tin Angel.

Arcadian Driftwood w/Ellis Paul on vocals

Ellis Paul's setlist:

Due to his cold, Ellis started off by saying he was going to be miming his songs instead of singing them. Always the artist!

Summertime - Ellis' new song at piano

Ellis told of famous gravesites he's visited, what he left there.

Jukebox On My Grave

Baby announcement, I sound like Tom Waits, and a mid life crisis story.

3000 miles

Black Friday story - hunting for the perfect xmas tree with dad.

Maria's Beautiful Mess
Alice's Champagne Palace

Story of Antje's yearlong apprenticeship coming to an end. Thanked the audience for their support tonight. He likened us to "Doula" here.

Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key - Woody Guthrie cover - w/Antje

Snow In Austin w/Antje

Blacktop Train w/ Antje

Ellis went out drinking late with John Gorka. Failed to tell his girl about it. Ellis said she read him the riot act. Wrote this song from her point of view. Ellis joked the song was called "You Ba$&@RD You".

Last Call w/Antje

Ellis now has a key to the house he so loved in Maine, the one built in 1776. The one he had to leave. The one he burned in song.

Home w/Antje

Story of Slaid and Ellis and one other in a van coming up with this one. The first thought was to name the song She Aint Worth the Whiskey but She Was was wisely trimmed down so as NOT to give away too much.

She Was w/Antje

World Aint Slowing Down

Think about us on Thursday Ellis said as he said his goodnight. He wanted to publicly thank and say goodbye to Antje and did.

Conversation with a Ghost encore w/Antje

I'll stop here and have the second show's setlist up soon.

Thanks Ellis and Thanks Antje. Great show tonight. Fare well Antje. Feel Better Soon Ellis. Will be thinking of you on Thursday. Best of luck.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:29 am

The late show was another packed house at Tin Angel. Ellis and Antje again revealed the nature of the "final show" of them touring together the better part of a year, and it all started right here at the Tin Angel when Antje knocked on Ellis' "Green Room" door to ask if she could borrow his tuner. She said Ellis found her "weird" , and thus the interest to catch her opening set on that fateful night. Ellis disagreed with her, saying he used the word "interesting." Either way, a great "meet cute" story. I'm saying this in the "late show post", even though I think Antje told the story during the early show. Sorry about that guys....it's late and all.

Antje's late show setlist:

I'll start with a happy song.

Pearls

Hold On w/ Ellis

Sex Bandaid

I Was Lost

She started and stopped this song, saying the capo needed to be higher, and George Bush was worth it.

Christian Boys

She sang the first verse of this song, and just before she got to the chorus added "this is not about Ellis, so you know."

Hero

Ellis's late show setlist:

Ellis took a seat at the piano and told the crowd at the late show straight up: I have a cold, but we'll get through this. I need you to sing when you know the words.

Summertime - on piano

Ellis told the gravesites story - joked that it should have been called "IPOD On My Grave" - because "you'd get more songs and digital quality."

Jukebox on My Grave

The story of Sophie Rose's planned arrival this Thursday and how he was wanting to be there for his wife, hold her hand, as long as he did not have to watch.

Alice's Champagne Palace w/Antje

Ellis spoke of separation anxiety since Antje was going out on her own. HE looked over at Antje and said with a touch of feigned stress in his voice:

I'm having a baby.
Don't leave me.
Come in for the surgery.
Sing to us.

Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key - Woody Guthrie Cover - w/Antje

Again, Ellis told of staying out late drinking with John Gorka til 4:30 in the morning, but failed to tell his then girlfriend about it. He wrote this song from her point of view.

Last Call w/Antje

The story of driving from Austin to Houston and amazed he made it safely, since he remembers little of the 4 hour drive having spent the whole drive down the long straight stretch of road writing the words to this song. Oh, and noticing the countless armadillos on the side of the road.

A Texas Roadkill Christmas song:

Snow In Austin w/ Antje

Home w/ Antje

This next song was an audience request that Ellis of course was happy to do. It was slightly interrupted by technical issues with the half inch cable going into Ellis' guitar....he said we have to stop, talk amongst yourselves. Once the sound guy had a different cable for him, Ellis said, " okay, I won't repeat the first part, but you get the jist, Maria's a mess."

Maria's Beautiful Mess

Ellis voice was truly put to the test towards the middle and end of MBM, and he sensed it was near time to end the show. I'm going to do a couple more songs.

It was here that Ellis said : " having one of those weeks where I wish the world would slow down."

The World Ain't Slowing Down

A request came for Angel in Manhattan, Ellis said he could not sing that one, that it needed to be in the low range and kind of short. The woman across the table from me suggested a song. Ellis immediately said Okay. I'll try this one. He introduced the song's original title of Dream In New Orleans, a song about a falling dream he had had, whereby he lands in New Orleans, nothing bad about that, he could have landed in Cleveland.

Ellis then proceeded to play and nail the final song of the night, a request, my wife's request, a song she so wanted to see appear on Ellis' Essentials release, back when the call for fans to help decide which songs outta go on the 2 disc, 34 song collection of hits. It did not make the cut. Talk about the next best thing!!!

New Orleans - encore

And that wrapped the showS at Tin Angel in Philadelphia for Ellis Paul and Antje Duvekot this time around. And it seems we have come full circle. Ellis is off to help bring his new baby, Sophie Rose, into the world. It's an exciting time for Ellis and we wish him and his wife and family all the best.

Antje is off to new and exciting places as well. Hec, she told the crowd tonight that just last night she was a houseguest of Dave Marsh. You know, the Dave Marsh, not only editor of Rolling Stone Magazine , but also
manager of Bruce Springsteen. She just knew that she was staying overrnight in a house that Bruce had slept in. Exciting times for Antje indeed. Her new songs sound great, she had new found confidence, a huge smile on her face, even a new boyfriend, who was in the house tonight. I happened to have a chance encounter with him earlier in the evening, and you know something.....nice guy....and funny too!

Thanks again Ellis....and....Antje. Great showS tonight. Somehow I knew I needed to be in the audience at Tin Angel tonight.

Talk about.......worth the wait. :D
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:57 pm

Here is the setlist link for the late show...

http://ellispaul.setlistarchives.org/sh ... =200701204

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:59 pm

Sounds like a good time was had by all over the weekend. Certainly hope Ellis is feeling better before the big day... A month off is probably just what the doctor or mama ordered!! Good luck to Antje as well, there is really no stopping her now..

Return to “3000 Miles”