Jonathan's Restaurant - Ogunquit, ME - Aug. 5, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:38 pm

Get any better?

Nope! :D

Any worse? :(

Yep! 8)

Triple digit forecasts for us in Philly suburbs through Thursday. :shock:

:idea: Lots of ICED COLD BEER for tonight's Eagleview Concerts Under The Stars featuring Toubab Krewe with Amelia White opening.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:51 pm

Oooh...I saw Amelia White open for Ellis at Schubas a year or so ago. Two shows. She went home with us. Literally. (She needed a place to stay.) :lol:

Have fun!

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:10 pm

Small world!!!

I can't say I know her music but her site posted lyrics that appealed to me on some level. Toubab Krewe and Iced Cold Brewe.....we'll drink a round for all y'all. :wink:
paddy

john1977

I'll be there too!

Postby john1977 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:19 am

hey gang,

just thought i'd chime in...i'll be at the show and would love to meet up with other board members...i won't be able to make it to dinner but i hope to bump into you all at the show...and perhaps any other post show activity that may be planned...

hope all is well! see you on saturday!

john

mm

Postby mm » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:24 pm

Sooooo, I'll be waiting for my phone call?????
I'll keep my cell phone clipped to my side, Karen and Sue Ellen, hee-hee.
Have a GREAT time everyone who's going!
I'll wear my EP lapel pin just to be cool.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:00 pm

Absolutely, did you have a request?

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:55 pm

For all with plans to see Ellis in Ogunquit:

Plans have changed to say the least. Right now I have at least one available ticket to the show, possibly two.

Part of me wants to head out for both the shows in Shirley and Ogunquit on Friday and Saturday nights with a stop off to visit family in NH.

Part of me wants to lay low and read all about it, couch potato that I am. What a shocker to read Ellis' blog and rant today and find that we have that in common. :shock:

All I'm saying is maybe I'll be there and maybe I won't, but I'll let you know for sure If I'm heading out. Otherwise, does anyone need one and possibly two tix for Saturday night in Ogunquit?

PM me if you do. The tix I have are paid for and have two seats reserved for the EP Discussion Group with Dinner at 5pm and seats at our table for the show.

If I know me, and I think I do, I'll only have one available. :wink: Let me know.
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:56 pm

If you want to be color-coordinated Saturday night, wear black and white. Or black. Or white. And you won't have to worry about your lapel pin clashing with your clothes.

I thought of that today when I walked in to the front office at work and about five people, including myself were wearing black and/or white. And I didn't even see the email about the colors for the day.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:03 pm

Sue Ellen, That' so funny, I was gonna post something earlier today along the lines of : So guys, what's everyone wearing to the show.

I used to get a lot of mileage out of that one with my buds as the girls were always asking each other that question before a night out.

Really, I'd call an hour or so before meeting up with the guys, and say:

Hey, it's me, what are you wearing tonight?

Big fun!!! :lol:
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:09 pm

I was completely serious about that too. Lest you thought I was joking.

:lol:

I hope someone lets Bonnie know...maybe someone is lurking and can give her a heads up.

Sue Ellen

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:13 pm

Great minds think alike! I was thinking black and white would look best with my lapel pin. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:34 pm

Ok, somebody needs to get a message to Ellis and Flynn. I don't want them showing up for the show and saying:"hey, we didn't get the memo"

My neighbors had a last minute happy hour at their house a few weeks ago and I swear to you that 5 guys showed wearing almost the same shade of green shirt. :shock:

One guy did not get the memo. :lol:

So Ellis and Flynn.....black or white or both. and lapel pins.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:42 pm

All this talk about fashion in Ogunquit leads to this question:

Bonfire of the Vanities???

Is that still a possibility.......Jeff or PeteM.....anybody?
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:43 am

Paddy wrote:The Post that launched 5031 views and counting........

Wow Paddy, you weren't joking; it's up to 7295 or something like that. Maybe lots of people googling "Ellis Paul and Ogunquit Maine." Which of course lists this thread as the first hit.

I see also from googling "Ellis Paul and Ogunquit Maine" that Ellis's brother Sean (who got da right tempature to shelter you from da storm...) is playing in Ogunquit on the August 17th.

:lol:

Sue Ellen

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:44 am

1) Paddy, I do hope you decide to come - it just won't be the same without you!!!! And I KNOW I can find someone to use that extra ticket of yours...

2) I will *so* be wearing black and white!

3) Note to self: check out Ellis' blog

4) I am planning on calling the Ogunquit town hall today about the bonfire; fail that, it seems that Kennebunk (~20 min away - car pool caravan!) allows a certain number of beach bonfires per night, via permit, so I'll try to secure one of those, if all else fails. Will update later when I hear more.

5) Seriously, Paddy - I really hope you come to this show!!!!

More later...
~Lauren

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:56 pm

Ok, here's the situation folks!

Bonfires on the Beach

Ogunquit - illegal, no can do, will not happen

Wells, ME - (approx. 10 minutes away by car from Jonathan's) - between 5pm and 11pm, charcoal and gas grills only are allowed on the beach

Kennebunkport, ME - (approx. 25 minutes away by car from Jonathan's) - there are 3 permits available per day to non-Kennebunkport residents for beach bonfires on a first-come, first-serve basis. Someone would need to go into the Kennebunkport PD at 9am the day of the bonfire to get the permit, which is free but requires a $50 clean-up deposit, refundable the next day.

Obviously Ogunquit and Wells are out, but Kennebunkport is an option. What does everyone think? Will Ellis and/or Flynn be able to go out after the show for a bonfire?
I would be able to shuttle 4 people in my car, and may be able to snag some wood, somewhere...
Normally I would be able to secure the permit, no problem, but I won't be on the mainland until early afternoon that day - would anyone else be able to get the permit in Kennebunkport that morning?

Let me know.... This could really, really happen!!! :mrgreen:
~Lauren

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:17 am

Ok, folks - I've got an offer from someone (thank you!!!) to pick up the permit Saturday morn. Anyone know if Ellis and/or Flynn would want to join us? How does everyone else feel about a bonfire? Because, bar that, we could just head to... a bar... :lol:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:21 am

Lauren, thanks for all your efforts - truly - but it seems too complicated to me. I'd rather just walk to Perkins Cove and sit on a bench overlooking the ocean (they're plentiful) with a drink in hand or whatever. (For me that translates to coffee.) :)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:27 am

I'm not so keen about a bonfire myself, especially since it would involve a drive. I like the bar option.

Sue Ellen

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:36 am

Just finished making an 8 1/2" x 11" Reserved for Ellis Paul Devotees sign for our table...for dinner....or show.....or both. ;) It has the lapel pin pictured on it. For those of you who already have their lapel pins....don't forget to bring it! :)

karenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:54 am

No pin = no parking ? ;) I'll remember mine - maybe I'll even bring an extra one in case I bring a guest or find someone that wants to sit with us. Assuming I can make it myself that is.....

By the way, not that my opinion should be weighted very heavily since I am still on the fence about going, but I probably would lean against the bonfire, at least unless there was a reasonable chance some impromptu jamming on the beach would break out.......
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:43 pm

I'm in guys...can't wait to see you all in person. No bonfire no worries. It's Just that If Ellis and Flynn were getting excited about the possiblility.. :wink:

See ya at Jonathan's ........ :D

And BTW - as of now - I do indeed have an extra ticket available to anyone in need. I'm carrying my laptop with me so any post on it or PM will be seen in plenty of time.

Safe travels everyone.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:18 pm

Folks - getting dark here and as I'm going to be bust (oops that's a typo, it should say 'busy' but we did say Ogunquit or Bust didn't we?) tomorrow I just wanted to say to you all 'have a great time' and I look forward to reading reports of the pre, show and post action and seeing lots of pix.

Ask Ellis to play Chris McCandless for me! Would just love to be there with you all but maybe the 2nd official get together could be Passims New Year's Eve???

Jela

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:56 pm

Alrighty then! Cruisin' the bars of the Southern Coast it is! Which is a great deal of fun - not that I would know from personal experience. No... of course not. :roll:

At some point, when we can secure an EP attendance (and a close beach permit!) a bonfire would be nice, but I think the overruling sentiment is pretty right - a longish drive, late at night, only to build a fire then, and who knows what the guys are going to want to do after a full show?

So excited to see everyone! I'll be incommunicato for the next 18 hours or so... but I'll see you in T-minus 23 hours!
:mrgreen:
~Lauren

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:09 pm

First review is in !

Okay, I was not able to physically be at the show, but thanks to some enterprising and thoughtful board members who called me to let me listen to this song - let me just say that "Welcome Home to Maine" does exist, and it was a tremendous closing song for Ellis's show tonight ! Cell phones are wonderful things. I hope you all had a great time at the rest of the show - I had a huge smile on my face fo rthe part I got to hear. Thank you thank you thank you. I hope the board meeting was as fun and successful as those 4 minutes were !
Jeff

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:12 pm

And now for the other questions ......

Did Karen eat real clams ?

Did Sue Ellen try a Shipyard's ? (I raised one to you tonight kid - happy trails tomorrow).

Is Lauren now the hostess with the mostest ?

Did Ellis appreciate having "the board" show up ?

Did Paddy arrive safely in Ogunquit, or did he get stopped at the border when he mentioned Texas ?
Last edited by PotatoPicker on Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:33 am

Wake Up.. wake up... wake up**.... we are waiting to hear how it all went.... you guys and girls aren't still partying on a beach somewhere are you... I was at a beach party yesterday, a beautitful day, good friends.. the only thing missing was EP... Oh wait, I at least had my new Live Passim CD to get me through!!!

** Did Ellis play Chris McCandless.. I love the intro to that song!!

PeteM

Postby PeteM » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:53 am

It was a great night! Lauren has the set list, so I'll let her post that later. But, no, he didn't play Chris McCandless. However, he and Flynn did play an amazing version of Let It Be. He opened on the piano with Home, and then kept going for an amazing couple of hours. And only broke one guitar string during the whole night, doing Maria's Beautiful Mess. Paddy did make it, but I'm afraid I can't report on whether or not Sue Ellen had a Shipyard. Actually I think I heard her ordering a Sam, but I could be wrong.

The Ellis Board of Directors were seated directly in front of the stage, which turned out handy as Karen needed to supply some teleprompter help during a couple of senior moments.

As I said, an amazing show, and it was great to meet Karen, Sue Ellen, Lauren, John1977, Paddy, Bonnie, Susan and Lyn. Hope to see everyone at a show soon.
Peter

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:09 am

Hello all!

Wow. :shock: What a show! An amazing night - Jeff and Wendy, your absences (being so near, and yet...) were definitely lamented and we raised glasses to Richard & Jela (YEE-la), Barb, Wendy, Jeff, Monica, Becky, the list goes on and on and on...

Ok, so Karen, Sue Ellen, Paddy, Pete & I were able to meet a bit early at Jonathan's for a wonderful dinner. Both Paddy & Karen tried full-bellied clams (and liked them!) but I'll let Paddy tell you his tale of the clam "socks"... Let's see, clams, scallops, lobbies, shrimp - all were on the menu, and as far as I can tell, all were divine! I do believe I heard Sue Ellen order a Shipyard, but I don't believe they had any there. Oh, and they had put our group in a private room, which was so nice, and Karen had made up a special sign "Reserved for Ellis Paul Devotees" which looked super snazzy. Turns out The Man Himself came looking for us, but they had us sequestered away so that he couldn't find us! :lol:

When we got upstairs, the EP DB table was, as Pete said, smack dab right in front of the stage, actually running the length of the stage, so it was like we had our own private show! Up went Karen’s wonderful sign, and we were soon getting acquainted with John (of John1977 fame), his lovely companion Sarah, and Sean, Director of All Things Musical at the Kennebunk Coffee Shop, where Ellis will be performing December 9 (mark your calendars!!!).

And then, of course, Bonnie, Lyn, & Susan arrived, so much squealing, bounding over chairs and tables, and general accosting occurred. She was fabulously glowing (and fresh off the plane – her luggage was in the car!) and apparently had a wonderful time in the Bahamas. But I will leave that, and her B2M adventures, to her to tell. So, by then, the whole crew had arrived, and the show was about to start…

Continued in a subsequent post (hey, I’m doing this on 5 hours sleep here!)
8)
~Lauren

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:42 pm

Ogunquit Concert Review: Part Deux

Where was I? Oh yes, Flynn took the stage (looking as swoonworthy as ever, and so follows his (too short) set:
Living in America
Commentary on how Ellis & he had gotten horribly lost on the way to the show – which is especially shameful, seeing as Ellis is from Maine – but that they had the pleasure of seeing the beautiful town of Ogunquit, and is now thinking of changing the name of the song to “Living in Ogunquit.” :shock:
Be Careful
This is a new Flynn song – which Ellis & Antje helped to write, apparently - which he opened with a hilarious story of a night back in his days with the group The Cliffs of Dooneen, and how, with his lack of coolness in the face of a potential axe murderer, he “let the Rock Star World down.” :mrgreen:
Human
White
A great (albeit short) set by Flynn, and the turn around wasn’t more than 5 or 10 minutes before Mr. Paul was up on stage, seated at the piano, opening his show with “Home.” His set list and show commentary to follow shortly…

~Lauren
PS
Apologies for the very poor quality of the photos - I was only sporting a camera phone... :roll:
Last edited by Lauren on Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

john1977

Postby john1977 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:18 pm

hey everyone...

what a great show last night! it was great meeting all of the discussion board folks and i was taken aback at how friendly everyone was...i hope i didn't come across as a jerk to anyone...it really was great meeting everyone and i look forward to seeing all you guys again out there at another show...

take care,

john

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:29 pm

Ogunquit Concert Review: Part Tres

Here is the full setlist:

Home
Take All The Sky You Need
Jukebox
Ellis did a mini rant similar to the one on his blog, to which he got a hearty round of applause.
The Only Way
Ellis spoke of his upcoming “Best of” CD (vs. “Greatest Hits,” ahem) and commented that the board had dubbed the album The Essential Ellis Paul, to which he cracked a few jokes “well, if you have to have some of his music, I guess this is what you should listen to…”
Maria’s Beautiful Mess
The broken string of the evening occurred during Maria, and a request for a poem was called out so, even though he was hesitant of remembering all of the words, he launched into:
Tornado Girl (poem) during which he did, indeed, forget some of the words and Karen, having snagged Sue Ellen’s newly-acquired, newly won Notes From The Road prompted him, and then passed off the book to Ellis on stage, which he consulted during the rest of the – wonderful – recitation.
3000 Miles
Snow in Austin
Blacktop Train (Acoustic, w/ Flynn)
Kiss the Sun (w/Flynn)
The board had been calling for a little Cannondrop action, and so the guys finally relented, telling the crowd that, for some strange reason, whenever Cannondrop would play, they were met by some ear-splitting screams… hmmm… They are also looking for a new name, and whoever comes up with the name will be their manager. ;) Paddy came up with a great name, which was well-received by group and audience, but I’ll let him tell y’all.
Let It Be (Cannondrop)
The Night Hank Williams Came To Town (w/ Flynn, or Cannondrop???)
Alice’s Champagne Palace
We found out that Alice’s has since closed!!!! :(
Things Change (by Sam Baker)
Welcome Home To Maine (it DOES exist!!!) :D
Ellis then thanked his “Board of Directors” :!: seated right in front, which was really quite sweet, and thrilled us all to pieces. He then took a few requests, and decided on:
Rollaway Bed (During his explanation of how many people get to his site by googling “rollaway beds,” he mentioned thinking about opening his own bed line, maybe “Bed, Bath, & Ellis.”) :lol:
Clarity
Ellis had decided to close the show by choosing a song “he knew all the words to,” (Clarity) but, as fate would have it, he then forgot them part way through the 1st verse! Karen, being ever the Queen of all Ellis fans (ahem, “devotees”), prompted him with the next lyrics (2 saves in 1 night!) Ellis commented that he needed a huge lyric monitor next to the stage like Sinatra had in his old age, but we reminded him that he had a Karen instead, of which he was most grateful.

It was an amazing show, it really was, and it was so great seeing all of the board members that were there. We were able to hang out with Ellis and Flynn a bit after the show, and there was much ribbing and teasing going on, and many, many pictures taken. Both Bonnie and I won our EllisPaulooza bumper stickers (YAY!!!), we all got copies of the new album (signed, of course), and I have Wendy’s signed shirt that she won to give to her on Monday. Oh, and apparently there is only one Ellis Paul stalker, but she (ahem) shall remain unnamed… :oops:

~Lauren
Last edited by Lauren on Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:40 pm

John - you most certainly weren't jerk-like in any way! It was great meeting you!

Oh, and aplogies to everyone - I'm going to try to get Karen to resize the pics in my posts, so they are easier on the scrolling and the eyes...

~Lauren

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:04 pm

I'll review shortly. I always need to let things settle before I can put them on paper. (screen)

Please have patience. I woke up in Nassau after 3 hours sleep, landed in Boston, went to Maine and got finally got home at 5am.

What? No Sympathy for me? :lol:
Last edited by bonuela on Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:24 pm

I ain't got no sympa-THAY!!!
:mrgreen:
We did get a few bits and pieces of that song in our "after hours private showing" - censored and everything!

And here I thought that I got to bed late at 3am... All hail Queen Bonuela!
:twisted:
~L~

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:40 pm

Safe Home as they used to say and way too tired to talk about it now. Just up from a nap and can barely form thoughts. To Ellis and Flynn and the entire Board of Devotees in attendance, HOWDY Y'ALL and thanks for a wonderful heart felt WELCOME TO MAINE. It's a memory I'll treasure forever.

And Jeff, as to them knowing a TEXAN was at the BORDER trying to get IN, I highly advise all try impersonating a TEXAN next time you find yourself there. Seems they keep one armadillo on a leash about a mile up the road from All Border Crossings.....sorry, All Boarder Crossings........

I gotta go......need coffee....need lobbies......need to mention that you guys and gals ( including John1977 and co. ) were some of the nicest,warmest, friendly group of folks I've ever met and I'm both Irish and Texan so I know 'bout these things.

Shout out to PeteM and Lauren....loved reading your posts and accounts of the show.......they were spot on......and fun. It was a blast, wasn't it? Wow.

Looking forward to hearing from the rest of the gang soon. Til Then.......

ps - I know it's Touch My Butt weird that I'm posting so few words
paddy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:30 pm

Hey now, Paddy - I thought some things were never again going to be mentioned...
:shock:
Great, great fun. Had the chance to yell hellos to Becky, Yetta, & Jeff through various cell phones this evening, and can't wait to meet all the rest of y'all in person.
~Lauren

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:57 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:ps - I know it's Touch My Butt weird that I'm posting so few words

Hee Hee! I have been using our new phrase all day!

We met a very friendly Ogunquin (Ogunquite?) at the bar after the show. He might have been slightly intoxicated. He said that something was "freaky touch my butt weird" and it caught on!! :lol:

Here's my input..... :)

Lyn and Susan picked me up at the airport at 6pm and we headed "home" to Maine. ::groan:: We got there well after the dinner, but in plenty of time for the show. It was great to meet the board folks. I felt like I knew Karen because I've seen her in so many pictures. She and Lauren introduced us around and showed us to our special table. Unfortunately Karen made us take down the awesome sign she made before the show started. :?

Flynn played a great, if short set. While I did complain, I was pretty sure we'd see more of him during Ellis' set. He played the new song that Ellis and Antje helped him write. I heard the song at my birthday show, but last night I got to hear the uncensored version of the story behind it. Back in the day, he participated in some stereotypical rock star behavior, only to decide he was a let down to that whole community. :P

During the interval I got to help Karen sell CDs. That was sooooo much fun. "Hi" to everyone who stopped by the table. I hope I can do that again.

Time for the maine event. ::double groan::

I won't bother with a setlist since it's already been posted.

Thankfully Lauren grabbed Karen's sign when her back was turned so we could put it back up for Ellis to see!! 8)

I think the biggest highlight for me was Roll Away Bed. I have heard so much about that song yet NEVER heard it before. :oops:
I wonder if those people looking to order a cot ended up buying CDs and becoming fans? I sure hope so. That would make a great "How I discovered Ellis" story. :D

Welcome Home To Maine is a pretty song, but all I could think of was "Damn I bet he's glad he isn't from Massachusetts or South Dakota. How the heck to you put that into song?" He told a funny story about calling his folks to tell them he was going to see the Governor. His dad said to say "Hi" for him. I probably laughed the loudest because as I left my folks on the beach in the Bahamas yesterday, they shouted after me "Send Flynn our best!!" As they are now apparantly the best of friends. :D

Let It Be always takes my breath away when the Indigo Boys sing it. Those of us who stuck around even got a bonus chorus. Ellis was playing around at the piano and the waiter chimed in from across the room.

Both Ellis and Flynn were coaxed into wearing Ellis Paul Discussion Board Lapel Pins (EPDBLPs), while posing for pictures. Sue Ellen and I fought over who gets credit for the Flynn coup. I say it's me because I convinced him to wear it. She says it's her because she gave it to him. :lol:

We said our goodbyes to the guys, reminding them that Boston was South and headed off to our next stop. We went to a bar called Gypsy Sweethearts. There were string beans growing on the stairway to the roof deck! Thanks for the round Paddy!! We met up with our new drunk little friend Todd, learned a few new catch prases and then it was time to go our separate ways. :(
Then Susan, Lyn and I hit the road in search of pancakes.

It was really wonderful meeting you guys, or in the case of Lauren and Sue Ellen, seeing you again. I hope we get to do it again before New Years at Passim. I also hope to have an even bigger group next time!!

wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:23 am

You folks obviously had WAY too much fun :lol:

What great write-ups and photos from everyone. Thanks!
I sure hope this kind of gathering can happen again some time soon...
(still keeping fingers crossed for a show in Portland this autumn)
-wendy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:50 am

You were definitely missed, Wendy - but I'll be seeing you tonight. And I'll be bringing a little surprise with me.... :twisted:

Really, folks, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the pink capo yet... John - do you want to take that one?

~Lauren

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:34 am

Ha ha! I pointed it out in the photos. :D

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:40 am

I 'll take the Pink Capos story - you know how you can be right smack dab in front of something and still not see it. Halfway thru Ellis' set he asked the crowd if we had noticed his Pink Capo... :shock: :?:

None Of us had. Laughs were had for sure. Later Ellis said the Capo companies are always sending him leftover stuff and he wound up with this Pink One. How in the world did we miss that one guys/gals?

So with Flynn onstage and Cannondrop requests flying, Ellis paused to tell the crowd that when he and Flynn get together to play they call themselves Cannondrop, but they were looking for a new name. Ellis offered the job of Band's Manager for the person that came up with the new name.

At this point KarenZ asked Ellis if That meant if she won the title of Manager; Would She Get to go on the road??? Ellis pondered the question and his response was a simple and sweet: "Karen, you are on the road".

So, the topic of new band name still seemed up for discussion at that point, So I said out loud the first thing that came to mind:

How about The Pink Capos........which was kinda cute and somewhat funny. But, it was What Flynn did next that had the crowd in stitches. He was onstage to Ellis's left and out of Ellis' eyesight, and proceeded to wave his index finger as if to say no, no ,no....not me, no siree....him maybe...never me.....see my capo...points to it on his guitar neck....it's gold.....not pink....all too funny.

After that, Ellis tried for damage control and was trying his best to convince us all he was simply using a pink capo......and that it didn't mean a thing...And then the funnniest thing happened next. Just as it seemed Ellis was out of the woods......at just the right silent moment.... a male voice, deep and manly, shouted out from the audience towards Ellis on the stage with two simple words:

CALL ME

Cannondrop and all in the audience roared with laughter.....with Flynn realizing just how quick on the draw that fellow was.

The next suggestion came immediately after the crowd finally stopped laughing and it may have come from our table, not sure. Something like:

WE LIKE GIRLS

Again, the crowd and The Pink Capos were laughing out loud and having too much fun..... :P I may have missed some of the finer points here to this story....so feel free to fill in the missing pieces.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:19 am

Nice story - Paddy, made me laugh.

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:35 am

I think the new name for Cannondrop was We Need A Girl. I only remember because I pictured our own Lauren rocking the cowbell and singing "Why do you ftphtpht with me?" as their new "girl" :P

Flynn seemed ok with calling them One Pink Capo. Just not The Pink Capos 8)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:35 am

Thanks Jela, I've got hundreds of 'em, glad you enjoyed this one.

Always happy to help those who need to live vicariously, lord knows I do it often enough 'round here.... :D
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:08 pm

Just for fun thought I'd see what 'The Pink Capos' might be an anagram of .........guess what? .........'Inept Chaps Ok'.........not that I'd ever call Ellis inept, nor Flynn for that matter - maybe as it refers to chaps (guys) he'd be more comfortable with it???? Ha Ha Ha

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:46 pm

Jela, in that vein......

In New Ellis Paul Talks Changing Hats Allows Paul Some Occasional Kaos
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:55 pm

Paddy - that's great ! You're fast !

Jela

mm

Postby mm » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:44 pm

Whew!
What a wonderful experience for all! So glad everyone had such a great time.
Sue Ellen, thanks so much for the phone call to listen to Ellis' song Home....for a few moments, I was as close as I could be to being two places at once. On the back porch in the dark warm summer night on vacation and up in Ogunquit at the same time!
I'll have to scroll through the photos next. Good things are libraries and their wireless access.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:58 pm

We tried to beam you all over but they just haven't perfected the cell phone/transporter technology fully yet...

Yes, great show, and especially great company. You all are a fine, fine bunch of folks.

The only missing detail was how very sweet the blueberries were.

Sue Ellen

Return to “3000 Miles”