Stone Mt. Arts - Brownfield, ME - Jan 13, 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

msmeetngreet

Stone Mt. Arts - Brownfield, ME - Jan 13, 2007

Postby msmeetngreet » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:39 pm

Looks like another Ellis roadtrip from Boston to the wilds of Maine is in order for Bonnie, Susan and myself! And I'm bringing another newbie to this show - Nancy from Wolfeboro, NH!!

It's to celebrate her birthday so maybe I can get Ellis to sing her a special request. I certainly hope he does cuz I've been telling her how he manages to make every show such an interactive experience for the audience that once you go to one show you *have* to go to more just to see what changes he makes to the setlist to make each one so special.

She'd be thrilled with any song he dedicated to her, but if I had to choose a special one that doesn't get played often enough and would be special, it would have to be TIME. Of course, ALICE'S CHAMPAGNE PALACE is always a rollicking good sing-a-long that would work, too! <hint>

So, who else is going to be at this shindig and where can we meet up for dinner before hand?

Lyn

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:52 pm

This venue is a dream come true for singer/songwriter Carole Noonan. I just re-visited the thread and clicked on the link to SMAC.

Carole tells a great story about Marty Stuart of Country Music Fame and his band coming to play SMAC......check it out if you have the time.

Have fun girls....look fwd to reading about this one.

note: see: Stone Mountain Arts Center thread in " Say Something "
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:37 am

You know, it will be Ellis's birthday on Sunday (I think I'm correct about this). Maybe you-all can arrange a little serenade of your own: an early Happy Birthday song? Just a thought... 8)
-wendy

msmeetngreet

No way, HIS BIRTHDAY??!!??

Postby msmeetngreet » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:19 am

Wow! I had no idea it was Ellis' birthday this month!

That's so cool that we get to celebrate with him at a show, since so often we go to his shows to celebrate one of OUR birthdays!!

Maybe we can bring him a little something special to celebrate his on stage! I'll have to think about it a little and gather intel from everyone else before we figure out what would be better: bubbly or extra minutes for his cellphone! :lol:

Lyn

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:58 am

..OR........A New Capo.......color to be determined!!! :P

Have fun ya'll. and Happy Birthday Ellis...... :D

Does he have a song he likes to "break out" on his birthday???

For some reason "Weightless" comes to mind:

In it Ellis sings: "You know, I'm getting older" ........... 8)
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:07 am

Sorry about the delay. I needed a nap. :oops:

Great show, even greater venue. The place alone was worth the drive. If you are in the New England area make sure to check out one of their shows. The place was built for listening to live music. :D

We got there desperately early, as we always do. We had plenty of time to explore the venue and scope out the best of the general admission seats. There was also plenty of time for the requesite carrot cake. What is the deal with carrot cake and folk music? You can't seem to have one without the other.

SusanH took down the setlist. Either she has it or it is still at the bottom of my bag. Stay tuned for that.

Ellis was in fine form. He sounded great and he was extra talkative.
He did two sets. There was no support act, but he did talk Carol Noonan out from the kitchen to sing with him on two songs. What a beautiful rich voice she has. Of course we got Welcome Home To Maine. It was really special to me because I had just fallen in love with the place we were staying. A friend of mine has a 100 year old home in the next town over and I immediately decided I want it. (shhhhh I haven't told him yet :P )

Ellis' highschool art teacher was there. We got to hear about, and in my case meet, the man who influenced his story telling style.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

shannon

Postby shannon » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:31 pm

I would have to say this was probably one of my favorite Ellis shows of all time...I know this is a big statement, but between the absolutely breath taking venue and the acoustics with Ellis sounding better than ever..... it was one of my very finest evenings in a long time. I highly reccomend going to Brownfield for any show at all. Also, highly reccomend the shows that serve dinner. The pizza and salads were enormous and wonderful! Just wanted to give my two cents on this one! i hope all who attended enjoyed as much as I did. Elllis has out done himself once again! :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:19 pm

Folks,

I'm starting to see a definite pattern here in these show reports. Maybe you all have noticed it too.....it seems the report invariably says "and it was my favorite Ellis Paul show ever!

Are we predictable or what? ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:36 am

Karen, I think you may be onto something here. I always think the most recent show I've seen is the best ever. I can say that time and time again. It's not so much that we are predictable, it's that Ellis is not. Or more to the point, Ellis is, on any given stop along the tour, playing his music for folks that have never heard him before, and you sense that Ellis knows that better than anyone, and the result is that Ellis plays with a passion that makes it somehow better than the last time you saw him in concert.

For the life of me, I don't know how he does it? I'm always amazed at how he keeps it "fresh and new" for his audiences. I'm sure there's some cosmic mathematical equation that comes into play:

New day + new stage + new audience + some new x factor + a familiar face or two......add it all up.....the outcome is predictable, isn't it??? :D
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:54 am

I found it!!

Maria's Beautiful Mess
Take All The Sky You Need
Home
Jukebox On My Grave
Alice's Champagne Palace
Summertime (in the key of white)
3000 Miles
(break)
Welcome Home To Maine
She Was
Blacktop Train (unplugged, but on stage)
Snow in Austin
Did Galileo Pray?
Let It Be (w/ Carol Noonan)
The World Ain't Slowin' Down
(encore)
Amazing Grace (sung a capella by Carol with Ellis filling in on harmony when he could figure out the words)

shari

Postby shari » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:13 pm

Bonnie,

The setlist is posted and that's the first posting of Welcome Home to Maine on the setlist site! :-) (I know because I looked at the song statistics page...) YAY!

Thanks for posting it!

Shari

shari

Postby shari » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:15 pm

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:28 am

I love the statistics feature!! You site is just getting cooler and cooler. 8)

I know he did Welcome Home To Maine at the Ogunquit show in August. Is it possible that so many of us were there and nobody wrote down a setlist? :oops: Karen, can you bail us out here?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:32 am

Bonnie and all,

Here's the Setlist from Ogunquit. Shari, was it not submitted? Let me know! :)

Home [on piano]
Take all the sky you need
Juklebox on my grave
The only way
Maria’s Beautiful Mess
Tornado Girl [poem]
3000 miles
snow in Austin
blacktop train [with Flynn]
kiss the sun [with Flynn]
Let it be [with Flynn]
The night Hank Williams came to town [on piano – with Flynn]
Alice’s champagne palace
Change [Sam Baker cover]
Welcome home to Maine
Rollaway bed
Clarity

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:36 am

Hey.....I just checked my setlists and "Welcome to Maine" is on there 7 times....and I think they would have been on my "backlog" list that I sent to Shari....but maybe the list wasn't up to date or something when I sent it....or maybe Shari hasn't finished entering them all yet. Anyway, I've heard "Maine" 7 times:

June 5, 2005 - Schubas, Chicago
Aug. 19, 2005 - Jonathan's, Ogunquit
March 18-19, 2006 - Cabin Concerts, Wayne, NJ (4 shows)
Aug. 5, 2006 - Jonathan's, Ogunquit

:)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 am

Could it be??

That the reason the Ogunquit thread has seen 34,045 hits......... :shock:

Is that folks keep checking back to see what Ellis played that night.... :?:

And the table full of Ellis Paul "Devotees" forgot to post a setlist??? :oops:

I'm glad we have a setlist at last........phew....thought we might have to go back to Jonathan's and do the whole thing over.

SAY!!! :D
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:47 pm

Karen,

I am a loser. I have not caught up on the backlog... A little at a time.

Thanks though... I am working my way backward.

:-)

shari

Postby shari » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:49 pm

He did TORNADO GIRL??? I'm jealous....

Return to “3000 Miles”