Boothbay Opera House - Boothbay, ME - Jan 12, 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

wendy

Boothbay Opera House - Boothbay, ME - Jan 12, 2007

Postby wendy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:11 pm

Hey, anyone on the board planning to come to this show?

There was some talk about trying to make it an EP-Devotee gathering, but I suspect that the Passim weekend and "winter" weather have put a damper on that. (to date the weather here has been distinctly March-like: little snow, lots of rain, so don't let fear of snow keep you away!)

The Opera House is a great venue, with super accoustics (listen to that last track on Essentials for confirmation) and a very friendly bar upstairs...

It would be great to see any of you who want to make the trip!
You might even be able to catch Ellis at the site of one of his stories, the China By the Sea Restaurant! 8)
-wendy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:27 pm

I can't make this because of work, :( but I am 99% sure I'll be at the show the next night. :D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:35 am

Still hoping we'll see some other board members here tonight!
I know there's many fans from the immediate area who'll be attending.

We're also looking forward to being able to HEAR Antje's set this time (unlike at Chicky's) :roll:
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:39 am

Have fun tonight Wendy! You're all set to use your guest pass tonight! Looking forward to hearing about the show. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:24 am

Thanks Karen!
Yup, I've got the guest pass all set to go (along with my lapel pin)
We're guaranteed to have fun, and I'll do my best with a set list... (that's not something I'm good at, though. Apologies in advance!)
-wendy

wendy

Postby wendy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:52 am

Another wonderful evening at the Boothbay Opera House!

Antje opened, and I regret to say that I was so busy listening to this amazing lady that I neglected to keep a set list. She did open with a new song, "Hero", and Ellis joined her for a couple, and she did one that I'd love to know the name of, about a cross-country road-trip (can anyone help with that?). WOW. Now I know what the buzz is about! :D

Ellis and Antje had just come from doing a TV segment for a Maine station. If you can, watch the locally produced show "207". Ellis said he'd felt dumpy compared to the clean-cut interviewer and Antje, who "sparkled". He wasn't a "sparkler." :wink: Add that to Antje's "interpretive tuning dance" and you'll guess that the evening was pretty amusing.

Here's the EP set list:
1. Maria's Beautiful Mess
2. Summertime, new, on piano
3. Take All the Sky You Need
4. Alice's Champagne Palace, with Antje
(at this point Antje offered to tell some "road stories", but Ellis objected. This was the last show they'd be doing together for a while, so it was a bit bittersweet.)
5. Minor Key, with Anjte
6. Last Call, with Antje
7. She Was, with Antje (preceeded by the story of its writing with Slaid Cleaves)
8. Blacktop Train, unplugged and on the floor
9. 3000 Miles, unplugged and on the floor
(the story of leaving the house in Edgecomb)
10. Home, on piano
(the story of the christmas tree harvest with his dad)
11. Eighteen
(we were told about the imminent arrival of Sophie Rose, in 3 weeks if she sticks to schedule. Fingers crossed!)
12. Words
(abbreviated Me, Myself and Irene movie story)
13. The World Ain't Slowin' Down
standing ovation from the crowd
encore: (story of all the musician gravesights he's visited)
Jukebox On My Grave

Ellis had family in the audience who he razzed frequently, but I suspect he gets back just as much as he dishes out... and before we left the building, we sent him on a quest to find the Opera House's documented ghost. I wonder if they had any success!

It was a great evening. Thank you, Ellis and Antje!
-wendy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:12 am

Wendy,

The name of the song is The Long Way... certainly one of my favorites.

Sounds like a great show.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:20 am

Wendy,

Thanks for the report! Sounds like another wonderful evening of music and fun. :) Please do submit the setlist to the EP Setlists Project site when you have time. Here's the link:

http://ellispaul.setlistarchives.org

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

shari

Postby shari » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:43 pm

Our first setlist of 2007! Thanks Wendy....

Here is the link:

http://ellispaul.setlistarchives.org/sh ... =200701123

:-)

Shari

Return to “3000 Miles”