Jammin' Java - Vienna, VA - Jan. 19, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

mdough

Jammin' Java - Vienna, VA - Jan. 19, 2006

Postby mdough » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:06 pm

Hi, I usually just lurk on here, I'm not supposed to post from work.

Quick question: the website says Ellis will be playing at Jammin Java on the 19th (so does their website) but when I went there to get tix, they say its Feb 2, as do all the posters. Does anyone know the best way for me to find out which day it is? Since I heard about the new baby coming soon, I'm guessing that it isn't the 2nd
thanks!
Meghan

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:13 pm

I just called the club; initially I was told the second, but then when I went for tickets it said the nineteenth, and the girl I spoke with said the 19th as well. So, I'm pretty sure it's the 19th.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:18 pm

Folks,

I'm pretty sure it's Jan. 19 too.....but am trying to confirm and will let you know.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:26 pm

Their site said 1/19 when I bought my ticket today. I hope they're right since that is the day I fly in. :P
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:53 pm

Ellis Paul Management has confirmed that the date is January 19.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:07 pm

Wahoooo!!!!

Sorry. It's been more than 48 hours. I am going through Ellis withdrawals.

It might just be time for a new ticker. :lol:

mdough

Postby mdough » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Thanks everyone!!

So wierd though, I called before I posted and they said they still had it as the 2nd. I'll call them back right now

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:44 pm

On to the next show!! Who else is coming to this one? Do I need my lapel pin or do you all know me by now? Ha Ha!!

This is going to be my last Ellis show for a long time. :( I hope it's a good one. :wink:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:50 pm

I'll be there with bells on (and wearing a lapel pin!) God-willing and if the creeks don't rise. Literally! It's been raining non-stop for 3 days and I'm depressed enough already without thinking about the upcoming famine....

I feel so incredibly selfish. :(

KarenZ

bonuela wrote:On to the next show!! Who else is coming to this one? Do I need my lapel pin or do you all know me by now? Ha Ha!!

This is going to be my last Ellis show for a long time. :( I hope it's a good one. :wink:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:12 pm

Folks,

Ellis Paul is such a trouper. Even though he was fighting a nasty cold and his speaking voice was a baritone instead of a tenor, he gave it his all and put on a fantastic show last night at the Jammin' Java. Due to his cold, his scheduled singing appearance on XM satellite radio that afternoon was cancelled and the was limited to interview only - with Nora Guthrie. Using his temporary deep voice to his advantage, Ellis made quite a few cracks about sounding like Tom Waits....and, even funnier, Barry White. He sounded just like Barry White when he said:

"Baby, how low can you go?" (Commenting that it's difficult for him to say "baby" in his usual Mickey Mouse voice.) :)

And when he commented that the Virginians in the room "were his people" he followed that (in his newly acquited Barry White) voice with "Virginia is for lovers, baby." It was hilarious. :)

There was lots of banter with unseen (because of the dark room) audience members and he did alot of talking...but still gave it his all (the man is amazing) with 14 songs. He said he would have to start out with soft songs and hopefully be able to do some other not-so-soft songs with our help. I love when we're encouraged to sing along! :) The setlist (which I've also submitted to the setlist website):

summertime (on piano)
jukebox on my grave
3000 miles
alice's champagne palace
take all the sky you need
minor key
home (on piano)
snow in austin
kiss the sun
blacktop train
god's promise
did galileo pray
encore:
words

Shari...now that I'm typing this, did I include "snow in Austin" when I submitted the setlist? I think I may have inadvertently skipped it.

It was great to see Bonnie and Sue Ellen...and a little 5-year old attending her first Ellis Paul concert. :)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:44 pm

Yeah, Ellis is a trouper, and obviuosly a very dedicated troubadore. Karen, thank you for keeping and submitting the set-list; I was fully occupied keeping Ricochet Rabbit from jumping up on stage to help out with the singing. The only thing I think you missed in your set-list was "Baby Beluga," I think Ellis sang this after demonstrating "The Ella Dance" and disparaging the smarmy (?) Barney. It was a great show, as always.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

shari

Postby shari » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:38 pm

Karen,

You did not forget Snow in Austin.

Here is the link to the setlist site:

http://ellispaul.setlistarchives.org/sh ... =200701193

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:52 pm

Sue Ellen, since Baby Beluga meant nothing to me, I guess it went right over my already-delirious head. ;)

Wish I could have gotten one decent picture, but with those spotlights all I got was 10 shots of Ellis looking like he has a halo around his head. Like some rock-star God or something. ;) Would a rock star do "The Ella Dance"? :)

Thanks for the link Shari! So happy to hear I didn't skip anything. :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:21 pm

As always, it was a wonderful show. Based on the sturdiness of the front row, Ellis decided against stage diving off the renovated, raised stage. It seems as though he has retired the "cowboy" shirt. In yet another clothing development, he announced that like Brittney Spears, he wasn't wearing any panties.

I felt so bad for Ellis, he seemed to be in so much pain. If it weren't for the occasional wince, Maria's Beautiful Mess' place in the setlist, and the sexy "hey baby" voice, I would not have noticed anything amiss. Otherwise the music sounded great.

He sang a bit of Proud Mary for the "tired and cranky" two year old who was requesting Blacktop Train.

I love how he held a question and answer period when he needed a vocal break. We got to hear lots of extra stories and did get a fine demonstration of the Ella Dance.

I also loved hearing the 5 year old next to me sing along to the songs. I think it's great that parents expose their children to excellent music, and in return the children appreciate live music.

Now I wish I could get home, but I guess they don't sand or plow this far down south and I'm stuck. :(

shari

Postby shari » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:47 pm

Karen,

Does this mean that I should add "Baby Beluga" to the cover list? :-)

I love Raffi....Baby Beluga was one of our favorites.

Shari

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:09 pm

Please do, I just don't know where it goes, but it was well done.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:53 pm

Shari,

I guess if we have the Schoolhouse Rock version of the Preamble of the Constitution on the list of cover songs, Baby Beluga should be too. :) Let me look at my set list and see if I can figure out when he did it....or maybe Bonnie remembers..... :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:31 pm

It went:
Kiss the Sun
Baby Beluga
Proud Mary
Blacktop Train

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:55 pm

Bonnie, you are awesome. :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:45 pm

Aw shucks. :oops:

Return to “3000 Miles”