Makor - NYC - June 8, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Makor - NYC - June 8, 2006

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:05 pm

Folks,

I was able to resurrect a review of the Makor show sent to me by my friend Tim Blixt in an e-mail the day after the show.

Tim wrote:

The show last night presented me with an Ellis Paul I hadn't seen in a very long time--if ever. He was joined by two of the truly wonderful sidemen in the business and the energy these guys infused Ellis with was nearly dripping off him---he just seemed shot out of a cannon with these guys behind him. He had Radislov Lorkovic join him on piano and accordion---I guess we all know Rad quite well---and Ellis has come to make Rad's acquaintance thanks to his work in the Ribbon of Highway shows. We've seen Rad with Shindell and Lynn Miles and Jimmy LaFave over the years. I guess you all know that Rad met Jimmy when he opened for Jimmy at Steve Coccia's place a couple of years ago---they had never met but Rad proceeded to blow Jimmy's mind and that night has led to Rad being, of late, a permanent member of LaFave's band---and honestly, I don't know if Jimmy's ever had a better keyboard player----there isn't a musician on the planet that Rad can't enhance. The other player was a local slide guitarist whose star has risen astronomically lately--his name is Pat Wictor and he's an older guy who seems to only recently be receiving the kind of notice his talent certainly deserves. He's done some recording and playing out lately and has become a
name with a definite buzz attached to it.

Pat said they'd started a friendship then that has led to a few more gigs together since and if last night is any evidence, my guess is these guys will try and do more----the trio will be appearing tonight up near Woodstock at a place called the Skytop Steakhouse (sounds like just
the place you'd go to to hear great music huh??)

Anyway--Antje opened the show and joined on background vocals a good bit too. Truth be told, unlike when Rad backed Lynn and Jimmy for the first time (and this was the first time for Rad hearing most everything EP did), it actually took Rad a bit of work to try and find places for himself in
the EP catalog. I think it's a bit of a tribute to Ellis that his songs don't always go where they're "supposed" to go---so Rad really had to have
his thinking cap on. But the place was pretty much sold out at something
over 100 people and the energy in the room was truly electric.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:43 am

Karen, great review and happy to go back and read this one. Now I need to see a show with Rad and Pat " sittin in " as they say. Should we consider invitin the 2 of them to a certain beachside shindig in Me. ? :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:41 am

We might get lucky. :wink:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “3000 Miles”