Outpost in the Burbs - Montclair, NJ - Dec. 1, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

shari

Outpost in the Burbs - Montclair, NJ - Dec. 1, 2006

Postby shari » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:18 am

YAY! I get to create the thread!

First of all....of course...the setlist link

http://ellispaul.setlistarchives.org/showlist.php?show=200612013

Now for the details...

What a show! He is a very funny man and last night had us rolling.

The show opened with Antje, beautiful as ever. she sang (I feel like I am missing something so please correct me) Go Now (Acoustic), Judas (This will make you think the first song was a happy one), I Was Lost, Dandelion, Christian Boys. She told us how she travels lightly -- sometimes with only one outfit and how she spilled something on the shirt she was supposed to wear and so she was wearing one of her own T-Shirts which she is opposed to. She also told us that since posting the song "I Was Lost" on her myspace page (it's a breakup song) that she's received at least 2 e-mails from ex-boyfriend's wondering if it's about them. She is really singing so beautifully...

Ellis came on after a short intermission. and he was in rare form. I definately can't remember everything so please everyone chime in and fill where I miss...there was so much. I will probably post in pieces.

I think that my favorite story of the evening was when he told about the day after Thanksgiving in his house growing up. The women drove 3 hours south to go to the mall to begin shopping. He and his Dad would drive 14 miles to where they would get their Christmas Tree. They would hike 3 miles into the woods, find "the perfect" tree -- and his Dad would cut it down with a chain saw from high up in the tree (Ellis always fearing bloodshed) and it would eventually fall. Then they would drag it 3 miles out of the woods, strap it to the car, drive 14 miles back home, drag it into the house, put it on the stand where it would lean and then be tied into position where after all of that dragging and putting in place would no longer look like the perfect Christmas Tree and so his Dad would drill into the tree and plug the bare spots with extra branches. "Why get an artificial tree, when you can make one at home?" This all told with Ellis acting out the part of the Christmas Tree.

Also, at one point Ellis commented on a painting that was hanging in the room and that he was a little disturbed by it (a portrait) because he felt like it was staring at him. A while later, one of them volunteers who ran the show walked in and took the painting off the wall and removed it from the room. Ellis said he felt better. It was very funny.

OK... there's a start, I will fill in more stories as the day goes on. It was a truly fabulous show. A whole lot of fun.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:14 pm

Shari,

Great report! I took a few pictures, but I don't think they're going to be very good. I'll try to post one or two when I get back home. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:26 pm

Karen ANOTHER show on your birthday!!! Man you are one lucky girl!!! Sounds like a great time... be sure to post your pictures....

Did he do the intro on Ballad Of CM....that is my favorite part :)

Nance

Postby Nance » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:28 pm

Hi,

I was lucky enough to be at the show last night, celebrating Karen's birthday with her. He DID do the intro to CM, and I, too, loved the Thanksgiving story...a brand new one for me.

It was, as I know I always say, "the best show yet" and it was so great meeting more EP and AD fans. Antje will be playing at the Uptown in the Bronx in January...a great space!

For anyone involved in my "lost cell-phone drama" (life before cell phones was much easier), Norma used her great detective work, and figured out that the only place it could be was in the gift bag that had Karen's present in it-I had given her the present earlier in the night-of course, knowing I was going to a concert, I had turned it to "silent".

Happy Birthday Karen :lol:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:24 pm

Patti (and all),

I have no idea how folks knew it was my birthday, but I feel very lucky to have such wonderful friends. There is nothing better than an Ellis Paul show to mark the occasion! :) The only bummer was that BeckyG was scheduled to arrive in Pittsburgh from Oklahoma on Thursday to make the 6-hour drive to NJ with me....but if you watch the Weather Channel (or any news!) you know that nothing moved in Oklahoma or Texas on Thursday on into Friday due to the freak ice/snow storm that swept through that area. It was 70 degrees in Pittsburgh on Thursday and 13 degrees in Oklahoma City. :shock:

As I mentioned in the Concerts at the Crossing thread, Ellis was in rare form with the joking...but his vocals were outstanding. The sound was rather "large" when he began and he quipped "I'm huge. Can you shrink me like a Christmas elf?" :) Later when he told the story of how he hit a deer in his car a few weeks ago he made this comment about the Enterprise car rental agency: "I think Enterprise raises deer.....then throws apples out along the road. :) "Snow in Austin" is his "Texas roadkill Christmas song."

There was a portrait of a man hanging on the wall and Ellis commented that it was a little disconcerting having the guy on the wall staring at him....and that he was probably naked from the waist down. (I told you he was in rare form.) :wink: An obliging Outpost volunteer promptly removed the portrait which was even funnier. :)

Ellis also told the story that his most embarrassing moment on stage took place at a show at the Outpost years ago when someone inadvertently leaned against a switch on the wall...and unbeknownst to he and fellow players Christopher Williams and Don Conoscenti, a movie screen was slowly descending from the ceiling...and they couldn't figure out why the audience was laughing....until the movie screen perfectly separated the performers from the audience in its descent. Too hilarious. :D

Ellis did one verse on piano of a brand new song that he's writing with Kristian Bush (of Sugarland). I think it might be called "summertime". I'm sure we'll be hearing more of it in the future.

Antje was wonderful and joined Ellis on several songs. Her own set included: (Sorry if this has already been posted.)
1. go now
2. Judas
3. Dandelion
4. I was lost
5. Christian Boys

It was great seeing Nancy (and being the "finder" of her lost cell phone!), Norma (my European road buddy) and Shari. Thanks everybody for helping to make it another wonderful evening to remember. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:08 pm

Karen,
so funny stories. I can hear all the laughing.

And, of course, after 3 days have passed, but hopefully I'm not too late :wink: : Happy birthday to you, Karen!! Hope you can wait just a few more days for our big hug. :lol:
What an outstanding day it might have been to you. :D

See you soon, Thomas

Return to “3000 Miles”