Schubas - Chicago - October 15, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

shari

Schubas - Chicago - October 15, 2006

Postby shari » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:19 am

Hi All,

I just got done posting the setlist for the early show:

Click here for the setlist

Check out the story at the end...!!!

Karen... please tell us more!

I can't wait to see comments on this one!

:-)

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:33 am

OK folks....here's what I remember in additon to the setlist that Shari already uploaded into our Setlists Project database! :)

Ellis often does two shows at Schubas so being that there was only one show, it was a packed house. Since it was a Sunday night, I was happy that the one show was at 6pm. I think most folks appreciate the earlier start time on a school night. ;) Plus it allowed Ellis to come through on his promise to return to Schubas and play for 3 hours. It made up for me not having been to a show in um....71 days! :(

Antje began promptly at 6pm and performed 6 songs:
1. Hold on
2. Lost
3. Christian Boy
4. Diamond on your hand (Ellis on harmony)
5. Acadian Driftwood (Robbie Robertson/The Band cover w. Ellis on harmony)
6. Long Way

Considering that Antje only performed 6 songs but sold 44 CDs attests that she was a big hit. :)

Three highlights for me were hearing "here she is", "last call". and the oft-requested but not-oft-heard "Paris in a day". Ellis had a couple of lyrical brain-lapse moments ("seize the day" and "clarity") which are always great fun for me because I love when folks in the audience can help get him back on track. ;) Ellis and Antje's manager, Ralph Jaccodine, was in the audience and Ellis commented on how nice it was to have Ralph along for the weekend of shows.

As I reported when I submitted the setlist, when Ellis told the story behind "God's Promise" he mentioned the WG tatoo that he has on his right shoulder. The audience asked to see it so he unbuttoned his shirt and pulled his sleeve down todisplay the tatoo. Then he turned to Antje and said "Your turn". Antje hesitated a second then promptly turned her back to the audience then bent forward uncovering her lower back to bare a tatoo just above her waistline. It was hilarious and I think Ellis was bowled over. I'm just angry that I couldn't grab my camera in time to get a shot of either! :x

Ellis commented that Schubas is one of his favorite places to play and I can attest to the fact that the Schubas shows are always special. The crowds are always enthusiastic while being very attentive. My favorite combination! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “3000 Miles”