Reference: Schubas - February 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

PotatoPicker

Reference: Schubas - February 2006

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:54 am

Here's the first page of that old thread.... some good stuff about a great show.

locolorenzo22
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 12:01:50 am

So...since I'm probably the first one home, I'll post the set list from tonight...

1.Where the River Rolls(I thought it was great he started with this!)
2.3000 miles
3.Jukebox on my grave
4.Take all the sky you need
5.Alice's Champagne palace
6.Maria's Beautiful mess (I was hoping he'd play this!)
7.2 bends in the road
8.Martyr's Lounge
(In the audience)
9.Blacktop train
10.Bad, bad blood
(I had a great seat...a foot from the man himself, right on the aisle!)
11.Snow in Austin(story and song)
Then came the audience requests.....To quote Ellis, "What is it about Chicago?" I think after playing Iowa, we might have been a bit vocal to him...
12. City of New orleans (A line or two, then "La la la"s
13.The world ain't slowing down
14.Rollaway Bed
15.Sweet Mistakes
16.Conversation with a ghost
17.Eighteen
18.Kiss the sun

I just noticed...It was almost spot on to having Eighteen sung 18th!! A great room, cozy feel with nice system and sound, but if I'd known I'd be sharing a row with a *ahem* "socially lubricated" group, I might have opted for standing room...

Tim, Great to meet you(although briefly)! I had the burger as well, and it was spot on delicious! Did you guys have trouble finding somewhere to park? I wound up about 5 blocks down, next to a meter and hunting for change as the meter maid was a-walking down the street....
Next time, we'll have to try to get together!

I've got a couple of good shots of E, and one of me and him right as I walked in, since the crowd was non-existant in the beginning. (I'll need a little help to figure out how to post them on here...Karen?)

Another great show, Ellis! Keep em rockin!!!

KarenZ
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 6:35:21 pm

Just got in the door a bit ago, back from a whirlwind trip to Chicago with a side-trip to Cedar Rapids, IA. Will post reports of both shows tomorrow....am going to try to quickly upload some pix this evening. Thanks for posting the setlist, loco.

KarenZ

KarenZ
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 10:11:27 am

Wow....what a show. Ellis played to a packed room. Those Chicagoans are really insane.....but in a good way. I guess you could say there was lots of audience/artist interaction.

Amy and Erin were attending their first shows at Schubas and I told them that they were in for a treat since of all the shows around the country I've attended, the shows at Schubas and in Texas/OK have the best vibes and highest energy levels. This wasn't the wildest show I ever attended (I think the April 2001 Blue Door show still holds that record)...but Saturday night came darn close.

It was really a pleasure to meet THREE discussion board members.....but I feel a little bad that I didn't get to meet locolorenzo....and was thinking....should we have something to wear so that we can identify each other? Like maybe a small button or lapel pin? Any other suggestions?

And Ellis...you done good! You mentioned the web site! Now....if you could remember to specifically invite folks to the board and/or MySpace we might see some of the other pictures that those other 25 cameras in the audience were taking!

KarenZ

pre10der
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 12:45:06 pm

I too was at the show Saturday night. I got in a little late due to Construction on the expressway. Took me 2 hours for what is usually a 1 hour trip. When we got there I dropped my wife off and went to park the truck. Parking is always hit or miss at Schuba’s. This day I got lucky and parked in a spot on Belmont right next door.

Once inside I found the place was packed and I didn’t see my wife so I went next door to the Harmony Grill (it’s attached to Schuba’s). My wife had gotten us the last open table so we could grab a quick bite. And quick it was. We sat down about 6:35 and were served and finished at about 7:05. We also met up with another couple, An old friend of mine (he’s not a board member) that I introduced to Ellis back in ’98 and he frequents the Ellis Shows with me when he is in Chicago.

As I am standing in line I can see that the place is packed. I get in and grab the last 4 seats in the back 2 rows. Unbeknownst to me I sat next to Karen for the whole show. I saw her writing down the song list and I asked if she goes to the message board. So Karen it was nice to talk to you and meet you face to face. I also got the opportunity to meet Lawrence (locolorenzo22), Amy and Erin. Lawrence it is too bad you left right away, Karen asked my wife take a picture of the Board members (Karen, Amy, Erin and Me) with Ellis.

As mentioned in the other posts it was Packed and quite a rowdy crowd. A lot of audience/Ellis banter all nite. I guess Ellis once said that Schuba’s is one of his favorite places to play. With audiences like sat nights I can see why. GREAT SHOW + GREAT PEOPLE = GREAT TIME.

I really enjoyed meeting you all. Karen and Lawrence if you could email me the photos I’d really appreciate it. pre10der76@sbcglobal.net

Karen, I like the lapel pin idea.

Take it Easy
Tim

Ife
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 12:58:11 pm

Maybe you could sell them as a fund raiser for Ellis Paul's favorite charity.

Sue Ellen

locolorenzo22
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 1:31:49 pm

Tim, yeah, unfortunatly, I started feeling a touch under the weather halfway through the show...so, here's to being a part of the next group picture!! Although it might take a while....

KarenZ
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 1:35:39 pm

Loco,

Forgot to respond to your comment. If you want to e-mail the pix you took, I can easily put them in an online album for folks to view. You can e-mail them to me at kmzundel@comcast.net.

KarenZ

Erin
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 4:19:02 pm

The show was fantastic! I am so glad I had the opportunity to meet Karen, Amy, and Tim.

Inspired by a conversation with Karen I thought I would put together a list of all the things Ellis did right during the show. I hope this will give the board members a sense of the great atmosphere created by Ellis, Schubas, and the audience.

1. Ellis really connected with the Chicago crowd. Ellis is glad the Chicago White Sox won the World Series. He routed for the White Sox because as a Boston Red Sox fan it was the right thing to do; he was glad another baseball curse was broken. He joked and asked the audience how many people were White Sox fans prior to the 2005 World Series. There were a few fans that responded with clapping, but another audience member shouted out that they were liars. This got a great laugh from the audience. Everyone clapped for the success of the White Sox. This was a vocal crowd and Ellis handled the crowd with humor and grace.

2. Ellis played his newest song (Where the River Rolls) to start off the concert. This was a great choice and was a perfect selection to start off the show.

3. The song selection was perfect. The crowd was really vocal and Ellis mirrored the songs to the energy of the room and then brought the room to a calmer place. Example: Ellis’s first 5 songs really got the crowd going, the energy was high and there was constant feedback (and flashing cameras/cell phones). These songs were followed up with Maria’s Beautiful Mess and Two Bends in the Road. The songs were perfect and created calm in the audience.

4. Ellis shared the background story to Speed of Trees. He wrote the song while he was in Big Sur, CA. He spoke about Big Sur and mentioned his songwriting workshop in April. I am a sucker for stores the involve Big Sur, CA.

5. Ellis spoke about the web site. Through backend data he is able to see how people are directed to his website. One of the more popular searches that direct people to his website is a search containing the words Rollaway Bed. Ellis made a joke about this and hoped the internet surfers were not looking for a site to purchase a roll away bed. This was an interesting fact and the story was told in typical Ellis fashion with humor, grace, and perfect delivery.

Erin

KarenZ
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 7:20:31 pm

Oh wow, Erin. You are so good.

KarenZ

KarenZ
Posted: Mar 01, 2006 1:42:35 pm

Hey Loco, I just pulled my setlist out and noticed that you left out two songs! Ellis sang "Words" after "Martyr's Lounge" and "Speed of Trees" after "Sweet Mistakes". No doubt you were too enthralled to write! (Been there. Done that.)

Another thing I was reminded of when I looked at my setlist is that after writing "the world ain't slowing down" I wrote sing-a-long. I love it when the crowd starts to spontaneously sing along! It often happens on 3000 Miles and Galileo at Ellis' invitation.....but I wonder what he thinks about it when it's a spontaneous outburst. Ellis??? Tell us!! Is is gratifying or annoying or something else altogether???

KarenZ

locolorenzo22
Posted: Mar 01, 2006 7:54:59 pm

ACCKKK....
Karen, you're right....I kept telling myself to write down each 2/3 songs, but I must have been in another world...(BTW, can't believe I left out speed of trees, I love that song!!)

KarenZ
Posted: Mar 01, 2006 8:24:27 pm

Loco! If you add the two missing songs from your list and remove "city of new orleans" (since it wasn't really part of the setlist), then "eighteen" IS 18!!!

KarenZ

locolorenzo22
Posted: Mar 04, 2006 6:24:07 pm

...Karen, you've got too much time on your hands....I've gotta admit, I wonder if that was planned...Ellis??
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:57 am

Wow, Jeff. I don't know how you managed to salvage this old thread, but you ROCK :!:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “3000 Miles”