McCabe's, Santa Monica, CA 9/30/06

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

lisa071573

McCabe's, Santa Monica, CA 9/30/06

Postby lisa071573 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:42 pm

hey guys!
here's a bit about the SM show :) Again, I'll try to transcribe the setlist tonight and post that in. Let's see... first off, did I mention how awesome Antje is? she played a great set, and Ellis joined her on her last song, Hold On. Ellis started off with Home on McCabe's piano after telling us how much he loves McCabe's. McCabe's is a guitar shop and the room where the stage is has guitars hanging from every available wall space, so Ellis (and pretty much any musician who plays there) always makes some good comments on the guitars. Ellis called it a "guitar whorehouse" or something :) he said he played a $25,000 Martin they have in the special guitar case earlier in the day, but he fell in love with a $5000 guitar, so he was going to pass the hat for tips :) Antje came down (from backstage which is up a flight of stairs from the stage) for a few songs, including Alice's and a few more. I think he did Last Call and Conversation with a Ghost (I'm positive he did both at SD) with Antje - I'll get the correct setlist up later, I promise! Anyway, at one point he told his Speed of Trees story and was about to play the song and said it went out to Larry - was Larry there? Nothing... Larry? Nothing... Larry?! so Ellis is getting a little irritated cause Larry doesn't appear to be there.. so he says, let's talk about Larry for a minute. Larry e-mailed him and said he wanted to propose to his girlfriend during the show. All of sudden, someone from the back of the room says, "Larry's back here, standing up." Oops. So Ellis sort of apologizes for giving it away and asks if he's going to do it. Larry says he is so Ellis says, go ahead man. Larry says it's his fantasy to be on stage when he does it. Ellis tells him, come on down! Larry comes up on stage and first says something about being thrilled to be on the same stage that the most famous ass walked down the stairs to. Hunh? Bruce Springsteen played there once, he tells us. Then he says he's nervous or something and he's now been sober for 3 straight days. Um, ok, we all clap. Then he starts telling us about his girlfriend (Stephanie?) and how she's the funniest person he knows, because he doesn't know Larry David. Hmmm... finally, he talks about her, something about them bringing a new life in and invites her up on stage. She walks down the center aisle and up on stage - 8 months pregnant. It was all very weird and surreal, but touching and sweet at the same time. (And Ellis did a hilarious recounting of it in SB - definitely a good story).

Anyway, nearing the end of the evening Ellis was playing in the crowd and then asked one of the McCabe's guys if he could play the $5000 guitar. The guy brought it out to Ellis to play and he sat on the stage since it didn't have a strap and played Martyr's Lounge on it. He told us it was a Froggy Bottom guitar made in Vermont and that it was called a parlour guitar that was popular around the turn of the century when there weren't amps and such because it projects its sound so well. (Now we know what to get Ellis for his birthday :)) That was probably the highlight of the show since Ellis seemed quite thrilled to be playing the guitar :)

Anyway, it was another good show and I'll get the setlist up soon :)
Lisa
"I never asked you for nothing like changing your name..."

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:13 pm

Lisa - thank you very much - and I am speechless from that story......
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:50 am

Talk about a show/night to remember! As we say here on the board.......Jeezum Crow! :D Thanks, Lisa!

Karenz
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

lisa071573

Setlist

Postby lisa071573 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:23 pm

Here's the setlist from McCabe's:

Antje's opening set:
Dandelion
I Was Lost
Christian Boys
Jerusalem
Pearls (w/ Melanie Hersch)
Hold On (w/ Ellis)
encore - Judas

Ellis:
-tells us about the $5,000 guitar he fell in love with
Home (on McCabe's piano)
Take All the Sky You Need
-takes the big fuzzy wind guard off the main mic, after putting it on his nose like Bozo
Jukebox on my Grave
Maria's Beautiful Mess
3,000 Miles
City of New Orleans snippet/intro to>
Blacktop Train (unplugged)
Snow in Austin (w/Antje)
Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key (w/ Antje)
Alice's Champagne Palace (w/ Antje)
Words
Speed of Trees story >
Larry? > Larry's stand-up act >
Larry proposes to Stephanie >
Speed of Trees
God's Promise
Martyr's Lounge (unplugged - on the $5,000 Froggy Bottom guitar)
Conversation with a Ghost (w/Antje)
World Ain't Slowin' Down (w/Antje, unplugged)
encore - Last Call (w/Antje)
"I never asked you for nothing like changing your name..."

Return to “3000 Miles”