Acoustic Music San Diego - Sept. 29, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Acoustic Music San Diego - Sept. 29, 2006

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:23 am

Folks,

I stumbled across a blog entry that reports on Ellis' show in San Diego a few nights ago.

Ellis Paul at Acoustic Music in San Diego.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

lisa071573

Postby lisa071573 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:08 pm

A short review...

Ok, let's see.. San Diego was very nice. A nice, good-sized crowd which finally seemed to please Carey (the guy who runs Acoustic Music San Diego). I haven't had a chance to give my recording a quick listen to transcribe the setlist, but it was fairly similar to the other nights in Cali except that he did do one new song - I think it's the "Where the River Rolls" song, although he called it something else. I'll try to get you guys a setlist tonight :P Blacktop Train was great, and as Raph's blog said, we all got into it with the stomping and it sounded fabulous. This was the first time I'd ever heard Antje and I was immediately impressed with her. I've been listening to her Big Dream Boulevard (on which Ellis sings on a few songs) and it's great. Anyway, it was a good crowd and minus the unfortunate incident with the hearing aid mentioned in Raph's blog (which Ellis covered gracefully) it was a good night. I'll work on getting the setlist up and getting some more details up :)
Lisa
"I never asked you for nothing like changing your name..."

lisa071573

Setlist

Postby lisa071573 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:30 pm

Here's the San Diego setlist...

Antje's opening set:
Dandelion
Christian Boys [I love this song!]
Pearls
Jerusalem
Long Way
Famous Blue Raincoat (Leonard Cohen cover)

Ellis:
Maria's Beautiful Mess
Take all the Sky You Need
Jukebox on my Grave
Home (on the church piano)
-- beeping sound/hearing aid interruption
3,000 Miles (unplugged)
City of New Orleans snippet/intro to >
Blacktop Train (unplugged)
Snow in Austin
-set break-
World Ain't Slowin Down
If You Break Down
Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key (w/ Antje)
Alice's Champagne Palace (w/ Antje)
Last Call (w/ Antje)
Conversation with a Ghost (w/ Antje)
Turn the Wheel (w/ Antje) (new song - aka Where the River Rolls, as previously titled on the demo from Myspace)

encore - Two Bends in the Road (Ray Bonneville cover) (unplugged)

Very nice show :)
Lisa
"I never asked you for nothing like changing your name..."

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:39 am

Too funny - I stumbled across this same article and was just about to send it along to Karen, when *poof - there was her name, already tagged in a comment to the blog.

She sure is amazing, that Karen of ours...

Return to “3000 Miles”