Soho, Santa Barbara - Oct. 1, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

don hodgdon

Soho, Santa Barbara - Oct. 1, 2006

Postby don hodgdon » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:19 am

It's always a special night when EP plays Soho, a small, very intimate dinner club in SB. Tonight was the best yet. Antje Duvcote opened the show, and while I don't know her music, I was very impressed. I can't wait to hear more.

Ellis was on it tonight. I've probably only seen him about 10 times, he doesn't get out to the West Coast all that often, but this show was really special. Vocally, I've never heard him better and he told some great stories of touring and life on the road. Especially funny was the story about Larry, the guy who was supposed to propose to his girlfriend from the stage the night before at McCabe's in LA.

Bravo Ellis, see ya' next time!

Don

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:58 am

Don,

Since there may be some lag time until setlists submitted to the setlist web site appear, would you mind posting it here as well? Please? Thank you! :)

Wow....it's so great to check the board at 6am and see early morning (for us on the east coast) postings from you guys out west! :lol:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

don hodgdon

Postby don hodgdon » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:08 am

Soho Santa Barbara, Oct 1st 2006

Home
Take All the Sky You Need
Maria's Beautiful Mess
Jukebox On My Grave
Alice's Champagne Palace
Last Call
Snow in Austin
Blacktop Train
Things Change (?)
Two Bends in the Road
3000 Miles
The World Ain't Slowin' Down
Sweet Mistakes
Martyr's Lounge
The Night Hank Williams Came to Town (Encore)

Have a good day ya'll!

Don

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:21 am

Don,

Thanks again! :D

Your :?: song is a song by Sam Baker called "change" that Ellis has been covering. You can actually watch Sam perform a snippet of it on his web site:

Sam Baker

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

shari

Postby shari » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:36 am

Hey Don,

Thanks again for posting the show! It's in the database... :-)

I am working on the setlist pages right now and as soon as the show was in the database it showed up on all the right pages! :-)

Welcome again!

Shari

Karen: Thanks for the info on the song. I was just about to post a question about that!

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:38 am

Sounds like it was a top-notch show. Thanks for the report.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

lisa071573

Postby lisa071573 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:11 pm

hey guys!
I just spent three lovely nights in southern California listening to Antje and Ellis :) I taped all three shows, so I will work on posting the setlists from SD and SM soon... also, I got some nice pictures from SD and SB (McCabe's doesn't allow cameras :-( ) so I'll upload those soon and send a link. I didn't know there was a setlist database - where is it?

oh and yes, is it Richard+Jela from the UK? I know I still owe you the New Year's Club Passim recording from a few years ago... I will try to get it done ASAP since I've left you hanging for so long! Unfortunately I am very lazy about transferring my minidiscs to cd :P

anyway, the shows were great and I love Antje! she is fabulous :) and Ellis has a cool black western shirt that he looks great in and is very fond of ;)
:) Lisa
"I never asked you for nothing like changing your name..."

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:03 pm

Lisa - yes its us from the UK - good to hear you again and we look forward to receiving that recording in due course. We thought that you'd forgotten us???

We're planning on coming over for this New Year's shows - just waiting for the tix to go on sale before we can confirm our travel arrangements - will you be there this year too?

Look forward also to seeing your pix of the recent shows.

Jela + Richard

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:06 pm

Welcome Lisa!

This is a project our very own Shari has been working on. It was just rolled out this past week!! You can read more about it in the "Say Anything" thread.

http://ellispaul.setlistarchives.org/
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

lisa071573

Postby lisa071573 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:58 pm

Hi Richard+Jela!
No, no, I PROMISE I have not forgotten you... I am just very lazy putting the MD's on the computer and then to cd... I will try to do the Let it Be New Year's show this weekend for you. At this point I am not planning to make the NYE shows this year, but it could still happen :P It's a bummer that Passim doesn't stream shows any more though :(

I love the setlist project! That's fabulous :) I can go through my Ellis bootleg collection for setlists if you need them (if Marty hasn't done his collection already - he's got more shows than I do).
:) Lisa

shari

Postby shari » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:45 am

Hi Lisa,

Yes, Yes, Yes... Please do post any historical information that you have. THANK YOU!

I realize that I am off the topic of this thread (sorry!) but it is very gratifying to me to see the setlist project database getting use on it's very first weekend. :-)

I am actively working on the pages to start pushing information out of the database and onto the website to allow people to dig into the information we are compiling. Hopefully there will be something more soon.

Thanks again and good to *meet* you!

Shari

Shari

lisa071573

Postby lisa071573 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:38 am

Shari -
Feel free to check out my page of Ellis bootlegs:
http://members.aol.com/lisa071573/ellispaul.htm
That should give you a few setlists of some of the shows I have. It's horribly un-updated (have I mentioned how lazy I am?) but I will try to get it updated this weekend or at the very least give you a list of the bootlegs I've got and their setlists.

I'm working right now on uploading my pics from the SD and SB shows... this is the link to my yahoo photos page:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lisa07157 ... /my_photos
SD is up and I'm uploading SB right now. Feel free to borrow any for whatever you like :)
Lisa

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:38 am

Lisa,

Regarding the bootlegs, are you making an offer to board members? If so, please provide specifics. I know you've provided the link to the bootlegs in the past and I don't want folks to get their hopes up if that's not your intent.

Also...please consider holding one or two of the best photos back so that you can submit them for the Fan Photo of the Week! :) Fan Photos are typically photos not seen previously, to make it more of a surprise. ;) You can read the details for submitting photos here:

Fan Photo of the Week

Lastly, you haven't told us anything about the shows!....and since we haven't heard anything sbout the Santa Monica show yet, try to post something in a separate thread if you can. We love living vicariously through others! :)

KarenZ

lisa071573

Postby lisa071573 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:54 pm

Hi Karen!
Re bootlegs - yes, board members can contact me for bootlegs :) I provided my page link for Shari so she could use some of the setlists I have up there, but if anyone wants to get something from me that's already on my page in cd format, they can e-mail me. Generally the stuff that I have that is still on minidisc sits on my shelf until I get motivated to transfer it to cd... when I do a new transfer and finish the cd, I generally post a note here saying it's ready so that people can get it from me. So, right now I did tape these three Cali shows, but first I owe Richard+Jela one of the Passim New Year's shows (which I'm going to try to do this weekend) and as soon as that is ready, I'll post a new thread for it. I can also post the list of bootlegs that I haven't put on my page yet and their setlists for Shari and for anyone else who may want them from me. Bootlegs are for sharing, so anyone can always contact me for some :)

Re photos: ack! I posted all the ones I had for SD and SB :P but perhaps I will check my older photos for the fan photo of the week... I'm sure I have some that I never posted or were posted a while ago so they'll seem new :)

Re the shows: oops! ok - I'll put SB here, post something in the SD thread and make an SM thread as well. The SB show was great - very relaxed. Soho is a neat little dinner club sort of tucked away from the main part of State Street, and upstairs quietly by itself. Ellis seemed to know most of us who were there and he sat with the owners (or managers?) during Antje's set and had a couple glasses of wine. He told the story of Larry from the night before who proposed to his girlfriend and how odd that was. Antje joined him for Alice's, Last Call, Change... possibly more that I'm not remembering... and he did several unplugged out in the crowd as usual. I requested Bad Bad Blood which he siad he almost did for the encore but then decided to the Hank Williams Came to Town on the piano song instead. I teased him a bit after the show since he forgot some of the words to HW and he chose that over my request ;) This show had a very relaxed, intimate feel and Ellis was in a great mood. He said he had a few days off after that show before the Utah ones so my friend and I offered to take him out to dinner, but he said he thought he'd either hole up in his hotel room to write some songs or go up to Big Sur since he loves it there.

I'll go make a thread for SM :)
Lisa

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:53 am

Thanks (again) Lisa. I posted the link to your online photo album in the Photograph forum too. :)

KarenZ

lisa071573

Soundcheck

Postby lisa071573 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:58 pm

Just thought I'd mention that we all got to hear Ellis do a brief soundcheck before the show started... Ellis did Lonesome Valley, Hobo's Lullaby and the chorus of Time (time, time, time) on the piano.

Also, I checked my recordings of the three shows and unfortunately it looks like I've got a short in my battery box which resulted in some static on a few of the recordings. For the most part Ellis' sets are ok for SD and SM except for some light static here and there, but SB has a lot of static on Home and light static throughout the rest of the show. Antje's sets also came out with some static. I'm not sure if anyone else taped SD, but I saw Mike with his cassette recorder on the stairs at McCabe's and Bonnie was also there and she usually tapes as well. Mike also taped to cassette at SB, so his recording of that night may be better than mine. I've ordered a new battery box so I don't have this problem in the future :(
Lisa

Return to “3000 Miles”