Eddies Attic - Sept. 2, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

bartonegilleland

Eddies Attic - Sept. 2, 2006

Postby bartonegilleland » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:19 am

Last night's performance makes the third time in twelve months that I've seen Ellis in the same performing space. I had the opportunity to meet and speak briefly with him while he inscribed and autographed his book for my wife (she is thrilled and I am grateful). Ellis has a singular energy, artistic focus, lyricism, and quality that, as a musician myself (in a totally different genre), I admire greatly.
Usually, at Eddie's Attic, Ellis has someone open for him. Last night, though, he performed in the round with Marshall Chapman and Tommy Womack. Eddie's Attic was on fire! Of course, Ellis was in fine form with his intricate, sensitive harmonic construction and lyrics that wrap around you like a childhood blanket. At least equal to the task, though, were Chapman and Womack with each having a "unique" view of life and the world. Chapman was feminine and base at the same time: Chapman is a WOMAN! She exuded a history, a life force that tackled the senses and slapped them around 'til they took notice. And then there was Tommy Womack! This man has a finely tuned superhighway stream-of-consciousness running in his brain. Anger, love, laughter, and tears woven together into a fabric that can hold any man captive. Yes, Ellis was in fine company last night. A splendid musical journey, with a most excellent destination!

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:42 am

Welcome, and thank you so much for the great review.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:06 am

I'll ditto Sue Ellen's welcome and thanks! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:12 pm

afternoon all and I got one thing to say here:

go barton...go barton...go barton!!!

nice tellin of the tale that took place "down in the attic?" last nite.

Thanks and welcome to the forum. :D

mind if we call you bart? :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

shari

Eddie's Attic

Postby shari » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:38 pm

Bart!

I could not have said it myself! Ellis was in fine form and Marshall and Tommy were a PANIC! Truly...we were rolling...

One thing I would like to note....I do believe that this is the first time that I have seen Ellis NOT play 3K Miles?!?!?!? (and I see him ALOT!)

What he did play...

Take All the Sky You Need
Two Bends in the Road
Alice's Champagne Palace
Jukebox On My Grave
Black Top Train
Home
Maria's Beautiful Mess
She Was

Not necessarily in that order.

I missed him reading in the afternoon.... :-(.....that would have been special!

Bart...sorry we did not get to meet. I am down that way occasionally...(especially when Ellis is in town!) Maybe next time...

Shari

PS: Took a short trip through the Smokey Mountains on the way home. If you've never been there you really should go....breathtaking...

kilroyscarnival

Postby kilroyscarnival » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:49 pm

Ditto to the praise on Saturday night's show. I had driven to Atlanta from Jacksonville FL, originally just to see John Wesley Harding's Sunday night gig, but decided to go a day early and catch more of the book fest. I knew Ellis Paul by name, but not much of his music and had never seen him live. I attended the reading in the afternoon and immediately decided I had to catch the evening show. His reading was lively and his prose style engaging - plus there were some songs to whet the appetite.

Tommy Womack and Marshall Chapman were completely new to me. I loved the round robin evening, and it was fun to hear Ellis being self-depricating following Tommy's hilarious songs. But I looked forward to every one of his tunes. What a voice and what a songwriter!

Have just gotten home and have ordered a good starter from the back catalogue from CDBaby. I look forward to catching up! I had to laugh when I got back to the inn and flipped the book open to a random page, the section about John Wilkes Booth. My ONE vow for the book festival was not to buy any *more* books about the Booths or the Lincolns, and one slipped in anyway. Ha!

I forgot what it feels like to go to a gig and discover new favorites at a live performance. (Not that it wasn't also great to hear Wes again on Sunday!) I feel about ten years younger. GREAT weekend! And the folks at Eddie's Attic (staff and guests) were pretty great too. If I lived there, I would be a frequent visitor.

-- Ann

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:24 pm

Welcome Ann!!

Thanks for sharing. :D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

MaryG

Postby MaryG » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:21 am

Thanks for the review.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:59 am

Hi Ann.... if that's your real name.... :lol:

Welcome :!: and thanks for posting on the show.

You're in for a treat with Ellis' earlier releases.

Hope to hear more....in due time.... from a newbie. :wink:
paddy

kilroyscarnival

Postby kilroyscarnival » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:10 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:Hi Ann.... if that's your real name.... :lol:

I just can't imagine choosing Ann as a fake name. Would choose something more inspired, like Aliason Sobriquet. Are you intimating that Paddy might not be your real name? Or that you're not actually in a pub :)

But thanks to you and bonuela for the welcome. I'm still catching up from the weekend away but am looking forward to doing some more browsing here.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:17 pm

Ann....you're sense of humor speaks volumes about you and I can't wait to hear the explanation of kilroyscarnival. I have a few kilroys in my family as well. Gee, it's be funy if we had sumptin in common sides Ellis Paul. :lol:

Indeed, I'm not really a paddy or in a pub.

Much.

And again....welcome aboard.

Pat
paddy

kilroyscarnival

Postby kilroyscarnival » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:55 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:Ann....you're sense of humor speaks volumes about you and I can't wait to hear the explanation of kilroyscarnival.

Ah, well, simply borrowed from a favorite poet. Delmore Schwartz must have liked the phrase -- he used it in two titles, one for a series of verses, and another for a satirical prose monologue. I like the way Kilroy ("was here") evokes the sense of an Everyman, and Carnival sounds chaotic as well as celebratory. Now, doesn't all that sound pretentious? That's really what I was going for. :)

No Kilroys in my family, sorry. At least, not to my knowledge!

-- Ann

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:26 am

Ann,

Have you read poet Marj Hahne's "Praise Poem for Ellis Paul"? I will post it on the board, if you'd like....or if others are interested.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

kilroyscarnival

Postby kilroyscarnival » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:57 pm

KarenZ wrote:Ann,

Have you read poet Marj Hahne's "Praise Poem for Ellis Paul"? I will post it on the board, if you'd like....or if others are interested.

KarenZ

Hi, Karen,

No, can't say that I've read it. Post away, unless that's a copyright problem!

--Ann

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:10 pm

Marj gave her permission to post it on the old board. Since this new board was launched on June 20 (and all the old posts were lost), I'm sure she wouldn't mind if it was re-posted. I'll post the poem, along with a picture, in the Say Something forum.

KarenZ

Return to “3000 Miles”