Club Passim, New Year's Eve 10 PM

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

PotatoPicker

Club Passim, New Year's Eve 10 PM

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:24 pm

The New Year’s Eve 10 PM Show at Passim is annually my single favorite concert event. Besides the music acts and the excitement over the finishing of one year and the starting of a new one, there is also the chance to say hello to new friends and old. Last night we were privileged to have Richard and Jela on our side of the pond, as well as Bonnie, Susan, Monica and Monica, Sue Ellen, Patti, Elaine, Jimmy, and many more I am forgetting. Present in spirit, but laid low by a bug and missing for the evening was Karen Zundel. We missed you Karen – feel better and safe travels today !

As usual, Flynn opened, but this year with a surprise. He was joined for three songs by his nephews Sam (on mandolin) and Luke (on guitar). The young lads showed themselves up to the pressure of the moment and were a splendid addition.

Let the Show Begin
Desert Angel (???)
As I Roved Out (with Sam and Luke)
Heat of the Sun (with Sam and Luke)
Strange (with Sam and Luke)
White

Goals for 2013 – more music from Flynn – get that next CD moving. Please 

After a brief intermission, the main act took the stage. Ellis was joined by Don Conoscenti, Radoslav Lorkovic, and Rebecca Ann Loebe.

They started with the 3000 miles intro..... and as they pushed through it realized that they needed different tunings……. So we got some time of tunings and introductions, and then…..

3000 Miles

Ellis took a moment to acknowledge the folks watching the streaming version, and we all wished a Happy New Year to everyone in internetland

Rose Tattoo
Kick Out the Lights (a rocking version....lots of Rad and Don)
Please Come to Boston - an exquisite version with the little known 3rd verse “Please come to Cambridge”
Alice's Champagne Palace
Mary, Mary
Allison (cover)
Walking After Midnight / Change

Happy New Year - Auld Lang Syne

Snow in Austin
Chief Joseph
Hurricane Angel
Maria's Beautiful Mess
World Ain't Slowing Down
Annalee (in the crowd)

And for an encore….

Christmas Lullaby

Although the group had done a ridiculous number of shows in the last 2 or 3 days (maybe 6 ? 7?), I think the crowd energy kept them going throughout, and it was once again entertaining and musical and everything an Ellis Paul show should be. My only complaint – Ellis needs like a 4 hour show to make sure he doesn’t miss any of my favorites…..
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Club Passim, New Year's Eve 10 PM

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks for the recap Jeff! Happy that you managed to snag that extra ticket you were hoping for. :-) I'm feeling much better.....and hope to return next year! Thankfully I was able to enjoy both shows on the 30th. 8)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:27 pm

Good to see you Jeff (and the others of course) and thanks for your post. I wrote a review for 'Maverick' which I hope will appear in the next issue.

Meantime, I've also posted to 'No Depression' - you can read it at this link

Henryjames

Postby Henryjames » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:46 am

PotatoPicker wrote:The New Year’s Eve 10 PM Show at Passim is annually my single favorite concert event. Besides the music acts and the excitement over the finishing of one year and the starting of a new one, there is also the chance to say hello to new friends and old. Last night we were privileged to have Richard and Jela on our side of the pond, as well as Bonnie, Susan, Monica and Monica, Sue Ellen, Patti, Elaine, Jimmy, and many more I am forgetting. Present in spirit, but laid low by a bug and missing for the evening was Karen Zundel. We missed you Karen – feel better and safe travels today !

As usual, Flynn opened, but this year with led lighting a surprise. He was joined for three songs by his nephews Sam (on mandolin) and Luke (on guitar). The young lads showed themselves up to the pressure of the moment and were a splendid addition.

Let the Show Begin
Desert Angel (???)
As I Roved Out (with Sam and Luke)
Heat of the Sun (with Sam and Luke)
Strange (with Sam and Luke)
White

Goals for 2013 – more music from Flynn – get that next CD moving. Please 

After a brief intermission, the main act took the stage. Ellis was joined by Don Conoscenti, Radoslav Lorkovic, and Rebecca Ann Loebe.

They started with the 3000 miles intro..... and as they pushed through it realized that they needed different tunings……. So we got some time of tunings and introductions, and then…..

3000 Miles

Ellis took a moment to acknowledge the folks watching the streaming version, and we all wished a Happy New Year to everyone in internetland

Rose Tattoo
Kick Out the Lights (a rocking version....lots of Rad and Don)
Please Come to Boston - an exquisite version with the little known 3rd verse “Please come to Cambridge”
Alice's Champagne Palace
Mary, Mary
Allison (cover)
Walking After Midnight / Change

Happy New Year - Auld Lang Syne

Snow in Austin
Chief Joseph
Hurricane Angel
Maria's Beautiful Mess
World Ain't Slowing Down
Annalee (in the crowd)

And for an encore….

Christmas Lullaby

Although the group had done a ridiculous number of shows in the last 2 or 3 days (maybe 6 ? 7?), I think the crowd energy kept them going throughout, and it was once again entertaining and musical and everything an Ellis Paul show should be. My only complaint – Ellis needs like a 4 hour show to make sure he doesn’t miss any of my favorites…..

Those are awesome songs rocking all over th world. New year night was exceptional. Happy new year to all

Return to “3000 Miles”