Jammin Java - Aug. 26, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

2bluesboys

Jammin Java - Aug. 26, 2006

Postby 2bluesboys » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:53 am

I just checked the Jammin Java website and it says that Ellis Paul will be playing by himself.

I was hoping to see Antje Duvekot open but I guess that she is not going to be there. That means even more Ellis- which is great.

I'm not disappointed because we would have (absolutely) gotten tickets anyway. However, it would have been an added bonus to hear Antje as I don't have any of her music yet.

It will be so nice to see another all Ellis show!! 2 in one week. Who knows how long we will have to wait for the next one!!
Last edited by 2bluesboys on Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:43 am

I have some friends going to this show and I am very jealous. :(

Have fun to all who go!

Take lots of pictures!!
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:11 am

Two of my most favorite things: jammin java's and ellis paul. it was a great show tonight, ellis sounded and looked refreshed and energetic. i hope someone wrote down a set list, because i didn't, but it was a great show. after i get some sleep i'll see what i can remember and post some pictures.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:01 pm

My spies tell me it was a great show. Anyone who was there care to elaborate?

2blues, were your sons there? My friend said Ellis pointed out some young musicians in the audience and I thought it might be them.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

2bluesboys

Postby 2bluesboys » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:03 pm

Yes, they were.

Following is a set list that I wrote when I got home. Therefore, it is not in exact order and I might have missed a song or two.

Maria's Beautiful Mess
Home
Take All The Sky You Need
Dear Prudence Snow in Austin Words
Sam Baker cover (sorry, I don't know the name)
Snow in Austin
Words
Kiss the Sky (unplugged, in the audience)
Blacktop Train (unplugged, in the audience)
Martyr's Lounge (unplugged, in the audience)
Bad Bad Blood (unplugged, in the audience)
3.000 miles (Ellis stepped away from the mic to let the audience join in the chorus)
Where the River Rolls

Two Bends in the Road (string broke while he was playing this. He got another string but played----
Rattle My Cage (with 5 strings!!! It was great. He changed the string, while talking to the audience and went right back into
Two Bends in the Road
Home (one more time because he wife arrived and he wanted to play it for her. It was so sweet!!)

I have one good photo but I don't know how to post it.

I have a bit more to say and I'll add it later.

It was a great show!.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:11 pm

Would you want to e-mail the picture to me? I might be able to use it as a Fan Photo of the Week. Just send me a PM.

Thanks! :)

KarenZ

2bluesboys wrote:I have one good photo but I don't know how to post it.

I have a bit more to say and I'll add it later.

It was a great show!.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

2bluesboys

Postby 2bluesboys » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:50 am

A memorable part of this show was that Ellis was playing on a "guest" (his words), or borrowed, guitar. Anyone who plays guitar knows how difficult it is to do a show with an unfamiliar guitar. Ellis is such a wonderful performer that it didn't affect his show in the least. The stories that Ellis tells while tuning or in between songs are an integral part of his show and keep the rhythm of the show smooth and seamless.
Ellis always manages to keep things moving and even manages to make a broken string and the process of changing it a memorable and enjoyable part of the show. My sons were awestruck that he found a song to play with 5 strings!!
Last edited by 2bluesboys on Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:58 am

Also unforgettable was Ellis's impression of Ella dancing...it was absolutely hysterical, and anyone who has ever spent any amount of time around a two year old would have recognized the squat and bounce immediately!!

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:49 pm

Here's the photo that 2bluesboys took at the Jammin' Java. I decided to post it here instead of in the Photograph forum since there's only one. She says:

Ellis had just broken a string playing another song. He decided to play "Rattle My Cage" with 5 strings!!! If you look carefully, you will see the soon-to-be-replaced string hung on the headstock of guitar.

Thanks 2bluesboys! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “3000 Miles”