Sisters Folk Fest Clarification?

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

TallManinOregon

Sisters Folk Fest Clarification?

Postby TallManinOregon » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:35 pm

Okay... the Tour schedule here says EP will be in Sisters for a week... never a bad choice, really... but the festival is only the Fri-Sat-Sun... so what gives? Anybody have a clue? The Fest's website says EP plays only on Saturday... not a bad thing... I can make it... bring the fam and have a great day... sure... but if the missus and I can get out for a night with EP, well... that's never a bad thing either. What gets me is that I know there's a Private Show here in Eug, but as it's "Private" I can't get any info on that... I mean, chances are, that I probably know whomever has hired out this date! Aargh... it's all so confusing! Help me please... I lurk too much and post too little... I'll admit it!
Hope everyone is having a wonder-filled summer!
TMiO

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:04 pm

Tmio - from the city of brotherly love to the sisterly site of The Oregon Fest:

Welcome aboard!!! :D

Quick Question: If a tree falls in an Oregon Forest. :wink:

Have to say I was wondering along the lines you are now. Looked at the official site for Sisters and did not see as many sets with Ellis Paul listed as the tour dates might have you believin there would be.

So good luck on finding more opps to see Ellis in your neck o' the woods.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

TallManinOregon

Postby TallManinOregon » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:02 pm

Paddy... the more apt question is, while travelling in the wiles of the Oregon trees, if a man falls in the forest and there's nobody there to hear him, does he make a noise?

Yep.. still waiting to figure out this cunundrum!
TMiO

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:17 am

Tmio - hmmn....I dunno. I'd guess yes, something along the lines of :

OHH, Sh!!!!!!RT.

As to your conundrum, for all the good they'll do ya, my thoughts:

I'm not familiar with the setup for Sisters at all so I can't really speak to how it all flows. At other fests, you might find late night song circles where your favorite singers might be swapping songs. Then there's always workshop or two or five. I didn't see Ellis listed as a teacher for any, but maybe he's there to learn or simply assist someone who is heading up one of those. Any number of opps to hear Ellis play possible, but only one official scheduled slot.

Lastly, Ellis will usually list Private Shows on the Tour Dates Page and a possible reason for that is simply to denote that Ellis is not available on that date for booking. The same might be said for the Sisters Folk Fest.

Good luck with seeing Ellis play beyond the slotted time. Even if it's a one time thing, I'd say you're gonna leave that show satisfied BUT wanting way more.

Happens to the best of us.....each and every show. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:28 am

Hey! Welcome back, TMiO!! Good to see/read you again :)
Hope you'll tell us about your trip to the Sisters show(s)!
-wendy

TallManinOregon

Not looking Good...

Postby TallManinOregon » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:00 pm

Well, unless something gets announced around town on very short notice, or if I win free tickets on the radio, I am not going to make it up the hill to Sisters this weekend... :(

This is the sort of thing that makes me a little crazy, knowing that one of my favorite performers is so close and yet so far away! I wish I could get some dirt on what else he's got going on... I know that Sisters is a charming little burgh, but with The Eug just over an hour away and a dedicated following, I can't believe there isn't a gig here!

EP, I hope you enjoy your time in the Cascades... sure is pretty out there! Wish i could make... we'll see!

Tod

Postby Tod » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:05 pm

For what it's worth (since Sisters has come and gone), I believe the answer to your question is that Ellis attended the songwriters workshop/camp prior to the weekend Festival.

I saw most of his shows at the Sisters Folk Festival (missed the one in the main tent/stage) and enjoyed them all.

From what I recall, as the event progressed Ellis was adding to his cowboy outfit. In the morning he was sportin' a new western shirt. (I am pretty sure it's the same shirt he's wearing in that video clip?) Buy the afternoon he had some new cowboy boots. I also recall from the evening's commentary how well those new boots felt by the end of the day! Good stuff! :)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:40 pm

Welcome, Tod! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “3000 Miles”