Little Grill Collective-Harrisonburg, VA-Aug. 19, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sue Ellen

Little Grill Collective-Harrisonburg, VA-Aug. 19, 2006

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:43 pm

Last night was great. The Little Grill Collective is a very small venue and I felt like I had passed through a warp in the space-time continuum and landed in Burlington, VT somewhere in the early 80's. A very granola, collectively owned grill, with organic food and some good beers, and a welcoming atomosphere. The owner/workers were all very friendly and attentive. I really enjoyed the guacomole; the conversations, including a brief history of the racial tension that has plagued that part of Harrisonburg, were articulate and engaging.

The venue was very, very small, and the audience of about 40 was relatively subdued. The opener, Graham Weber, is a prodige (can't figure out how to get an accent on the e!) of Slaid Cleaves, has a great voice, and some good tunes, and clearly misses his wife after five and a half weeks on the road.

Ellis's set was fairly short, but well and fully sung, with alot of emotion. He opened with "Take all the Sky You Need" followed by "Maria's Beautiful Mess." He did Black Top Train, Juke Box on My Grave, and the Pat Tillman song, stopping to say he'd never sung it with Dr. King looking at him before (there was a portrait of MLK facing the stage) and substituting Bob Dylan for Woody Guthrie (there was a velvet profile of Bob Dylan on the wall as well). 3000 miles, New Orleans, Snow in Austin, and She Was were there, as were Two Bends in the Road and Sam Baker's Things Change.

I would encourage anyone with the opportunity to check out this little gem of a collective and support their business. And if you do, contemplate the Portrait of the Lady in the Green Chair.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:43 am

Thanks for the review of the show and venue, SueEllen. Okay, so I see a book club on the horizon for the EPDB where folks can openly discuss a book all have just read.

Do I see a trend here? Ellis playing gigs with framed Ladies on Canvas giving us reason to stop and pause? Perhaps a thread as well for these girls who keeping showing up at Ellis' shows?

I ain't saying there's a new song somewhere in these sightings. Am I?

Always room for another song about Ghosts. :wink:

If you could expond, SueEllen.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “3000 Miles”