Kerrville Folk Festival - June 3, 2011

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Kerrville Folk Festival - June 3, 2011

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:13 am

Folks,

Friday was the 1-year anniversary of BeckyG's passing and I figured she'd want me to attend an Ellis Paul show if I could......so I did. :-) So I'm here in hot and sunny Kerrville, Texas writing from the lobby of the Y.O. Resort. The show was wonderful. Ellis was accompanied by the Croatian Sensation, Rad Lorkovic, David Glaser, and Karen Mal. Oooh-la-la. Will post setlist and pictures when I get home. Since Vance Gilbert was on the bill that night too, EP invited Vance to join him on stage and they did their Dear Prudence Medley as the encore. Fun, fun, fun. :-)

More later-
Karen
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

mm

Re: Kerrville Folk Festival - June 3, 2011

Postby mm » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Sounds incredible, Karen!!! Am SO glad you could be there! Any dragonflies? :)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 am

We saw Ellis at New Hope Winery (post pending) the day he left Kerrville. On the way to the show an hour outside philly I asked Pam if she knew where Waldo was last night? She said who? I said Ellis, where was Ellis last night? She looked it up quickly and said "Kerrville, mainstage, 7pm"

When we arrived we found Ellis at his car outside the venue. Actually, Pam had already gone inside, seen Ellis and said hello. I parked the car and by the time I walked over to the building the show would take place in Ellis was standing at the back of his car and talking with some fans on their way in.

They headed inside leaving Ellis alone retrieving something from the back of his car. I walked up and said out loud: "Is it true there's more than one Ellis Paul?"

Ellis laughed and said "yeah, there's one still at a Kerrville campfire."
:wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:53 am

Paddy,

The logistics of EP's weekend itinerary were pretty mind-boggling! :shock: Tell us about the show in New Hope when you can! :)

Kerrville setlist:
Take all the sky you need
Crying (Roy Orbison cover)
Kick out the lights
Rose tattoo
Annalee
Hurricane Angel (EP on piano; Rad on accordion)
Maria's Beautiful Mess
Walking After Midnight/Change
Encore with Vance Gilbert:
Dear Prudence Medley

Too short! :(

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:49 am

I will...

Let's just say Ellis managing to go from a Kerrville campground @ 630am to New Hope Winery outside Philadelphia in a day in a day in a day impressed the Kerrvivor in me. He told me he felt like the "old man" in the campfire song circle. I told him how on our drive to New Hope when we had learned that he was at Kerrville the night before I assured Pam he probably wasnt up late at the campfires...he's getting too old for that....he assured me he would always being doing those late night campfires....it's one of his favorite things about those kind of festivals. I told him I knew I was too old for that kind of late night.... :oops:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “3000 Miles”