Club Passim, July 8-9, 2011

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

sarshik

Club Passim, July 8-9, 2011

Postby sarshik » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Does anyone have inside info about Ellis's scheduled July 8th and 9th dates at Club Passim? It's described as follows:
"Ellis Paul's 20th Anniversary Career Retrospective in Song", Peyton Tochterman opens.

I'm wondering if all four shows will be similar set lists, or if it's geared to early part of the career on Friday, July 8th and later part of the career on Saturday, July 9th, similar to what was done in 2010. Tickets go on sale on May 4th for Passim members, so I'd love to find out before then so I can choose wisely. Thanks in advance if anyone can pass along the answer, Carol :?:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Club Passim, July 2011

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:20 am

Carol,

I'm attempting to find out details and will reply here with more information when I can.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:00 am

Carol,

Details are still being finalized. Hopefully details will be announced before tickets go on sale. Will post details here as soon as I can.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks Karen!

Much appreciated,
Carol

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Club Passim, July 8-9, 2011

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 am

Folks,

Here's the scoop.

The 7pm shows on both days will be an Ellis Paul Fan Request show with the setlist being generated by fans. (More soon about how this will be determined.)

The 10pm shows on both days will be an Ellis Paul Cover Request show - again with the setlist being generated by fans.

Stay tuned for more details! :-)

Tickets go on sale TODAY at noon to Passim members; and May 11 at noon to the general public.

KarenZ

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Wed May 04, 2011 1:51 pm

Interesting - thanks Karen for doing such great detective work!

Carol

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue May 10, 2011 2:43 pm

Just a reminder that tickets go on sale to the general public tomorrow. See link above to vote for your favorite 2 songs from each of the 8 solo CDs.

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri May 20, 2011 11:34 am

Folks,

Good news for those of you (like myself!) who can't be there! The shows will be streamed live! 8)

We'll be able to watch the shows at the Concert Window website linked below:

http://www.concertwindow.com

Yay! :D

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:37 am

I heart Concert Window for streaming the shows over the Internet.

I managed to catch the (end of) early show, from 'Conversation With A Ghost' and then the first seven songs from the late show. Really interested to know what he played throughout and what 2 songs from each CD were the highest scoring ones in the vote off.

I'd love to see a full setlist if anyone can oblige. Thanks.

Am going to try and watch again tomorrow.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:29 am

Folks,

I didn't keep a setlist for the early show last night since I missed the first half or so. But I did keep a setlist for the late (covers) show. Several of us who were watching online were "chatting" so that was fun. :-) I hope to tune in again tonight.

Rad Lorkovic is a madman on the keys. Wow. :shock:

Antje Duvekot provided harmony on #4 through 11.

1. Everyday - Buddy Holly
2. The Night they drove old Dixie down - The Band
3, Into the Mystic - Van Morrison (don't know this song :oops: )
4. The Only Way - Mark Erelli
5. Minor Key - Woody Guthire/Wilco/Billy Bragg
6. Louisiana 1927 - Randy Newman
7. Angel from Montgomery - John Prine
8. Cryin' - Roy Orbison
9. Walking After Midnight/Change - Patsy Cline/Sam Baker
10. The Weight - The Band (Rad and Peyton Tochterman both took a verse)
11. I Can't Make You Love Me - Bonnie Raitt/Mike Reid
12. Comes a time - Neil Young (consensus is that Ellis OWNS this cover)
13. Hard Travelin' - Woody Guthrie
14. This Land is Your Land - Woody Guthrie
15. City of New Orleans - Steve Goodman (Antje and Chris O'Brien help on this one)
16. Honky Tonk Woman - Rolling Stones
Encore:
17. Don't think Twice - Bob Dylan (my favorite of the night)

KarenZ

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Here's an unformatted set list for Friday, July 8th, early show of EP originals! It was a great show, Carol

World aint slowin down
Crying-roy orbison
Maria's beautiful mess
Kick out the lights-johnny cash
3000 miles
Take all the sky you need
Rose tatoo
Look at the wind blow
Conversation with a ghost
Alice's champagne palace
Hurricane angel
Annalee
Have you ever seen the rain? Cover
Blacktop train
Jukebox on my grave

lisa071573

Postby lisa071573 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:08 pm

I was able to go the shows last night (had a trip to Maine planned to visit my sister that I extended so I could stay for the Friday shows) and taped them both. Unfortunately I had to fly home today, but I just made it home in time to catch the 10pm webcast (recording that to MD now, which hopefully will come out ok). Did anyone get the setlist or get to record tonight's early show? I'm still a little depressed he didn't do Deliver Me last night!
Lisa
"I never asked you for nothing like changing your name..."

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:11 pm

Here's the Saturday early show in an unformatted version - hopefully I got them in the right order although a few might be out of alignment

3000 Miles
Maria’s Beautiful Mess
Roy Orbison’s Crying
Rose Tattoo
Look at the Wind Blow
Here She Is – long pause while Ellis forgot some words :-(
Kick Out the Lights
Heckler’s Song
Angel in Manhattan
Annalee
Paris in a Day
Take All the Sky you Need
Speed of Trees
Did Galileo Pray?
Walking After Midnight + Things Change

Carol

lisa071573

Postby lisa071573 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:23 pm

Thanks Carol for posting the setlist... I feel a little better knowing that he didn't do Deliver Me tonight either. I guess I should have caught the shows he did when he performed the whole of each CD since I assume he didn't wiggle out of playing it then :P.

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:38 pm

Lisa, He did try to wiggle out of a few songs in July 2010. I remember being eager to hear "Don't Breathe" and he totally skipped over it, until the audience reminded him, and he played it at the end. There are a lot more repeats this weekend than I anticipated. Last night he did an awesome version of "I Can't Make You Love me" by Bonnie Raitt, and it sounds like were about to get Joni Mitchell's "Circle Game" which I've been really eager to hear. So Yay!

lisa071573

Postby lisa071573 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:25 am

I swear I saw a Facebook post of his that said he was learning enough covers so they wouldn't do any repeats over the two nights. I guess that didn't work out :P.

I've seen him do I Can't Make You Love Me before and that one's nice, but overall I was pleased last night to have seen so many that I'd never seen him perform before.

Yeah, I really wanted to go to the shows last year when he did the CDs, but I couldn't make it. I wish he'd put some of the B sides on the lists too, since Changing Your Name is one of my absolute favorites.

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:30 am

Lisa,
I saw the same post about no repeats all weekend, including the covers and originals. Not so much :x Oh well-still good. I had never heard him do the Bonnie song so was really thrilled last night when I "called it out" and he did it. I know what you mean about the B songs when you really want a less "famous" one. Carol

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:23 am

I watched the stream of the early show tonight but the internet connection kept breaking down. I missed two songs in their entirety - Cryin' and the Walking After Midnight/Change medley.

I thought that there would be the two most popular songs from each CD, played (as per the voting) so as I mentioned before I'd be interested to know which ones came in at No 1 and 2. That said it was great to hear songs played which don't get performed that often. The back catalogue contains some really strong material.

Hope that someone posts the covers setlist from Saturday's show.

Jela

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:50 am

This is what I have from the Saturday cover show, and I may have missed some at the end when I was getting ready for bed. Carol

Everyday
Heckler song
The Only Way-Mark Erelli
Crying-Roy Orbison
Van Morrison-Into the Mystic
Louisiana-Randy Newman
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
Angel from Montgomery
Circle Game
City of New Orleans
Have You Ever Seen the Rain?-CCR
After Midnight-Things Change