2 shows in Houston - Mar. 19-20, 2011

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

BillE

2 shows in Houston - Mar. 19-20, 2011

Postby BillE » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:00 pm

I'm very excited to be involved in having Ellis at the Houston Arboretum & Nature Center this Sunday. It's an outdoor show, and it should be beautiful weather. EP's also doing a house concert in Houston on Sat. evening - lucky me - the guy lives two blocks away from my apartment :). So if you don't live in Texas, reserve your plane flight now! We need you (it's a fundraiser). I'll have set lists and other goodies later.

Bill

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: 2 Ellis shows in Houston

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:09 pm

Bill,

Hope you raise lots of funds, have lots of fun, and collect lots of goodies to share! :D

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Re: 2 Ellis shows in Houston -Mar. 19-20, 2011

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:18 am

Bill - have a wonderful Ellis filled weekend - hope you're able to take some pics and post here. What a beautiful setting for a concert.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:28 pm

Bill just called with a last-minute update that Ellis will be live on KPFT 30 minutes from now! 1pm CST or 2pm EST!

Listen here:

KPFT

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:52 pm

The on-air host said Ellis has been delayed....they are shooting for a 2:30pm CST time now....

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:50 pm

He made it! Now listening to "Rose Tattoo"....

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:56 pm

Now doing Mark Erelli's "The Only Way". Such a great song.....

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:38 pm

I was out in the yard all day and saw this too late. It stands to reason the "mighty 90" KPFT 90.1 fm in Houston would have Ellis on.

8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

BillE

Postby BillE » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:58 am

Great shows this weekend. New song (not quite finished) - "Kick Out the Lights" about Johnny Cash at the G.O. Opry. Saturday's house concert had a rowdy 150 people and we all got to watch the moon rise across from the stage. Sunday's show was more subdued, but the setting was perfect. Thanks, Ellis!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: 2 shows in Houston - Mar. 19-20, 2011

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:12 am

According to BillE - who supplied the picture linked below - the song has to do with an instance when Johnny Cash - during his drinking and carousing days - played the Opry and kicked out the lights on the stage....

Lyrics to "Kick Out the Lights"

Found this Johnny Cash quote about the incident:

"The band kicked off a song, and I tried to take the microphone off the stand. In my nervous frenzy, I couldn't get it off. That was enough to make me explode in a fit of anger. I took the mike stand, threw it down, then dragged it along the edge of the stage. There were 52 lights, and I wanted to break all 52, which I did." -- Johnny Cash, on the night he was asked not to return to the Grand Ole Opry, 1993

KarenZ

BillE

Re: 2 shows in Houston - Mar. 19-20, 2011

Postby BillE » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:52 am

Beautiful setting for a show
ep_arbor1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “3000 Miles”