UK tour - July 23-24, 2011

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Richard + Jela

UK tour - July 23-24, 2011

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:12 pm

Ellis posted a message on Facebook asking about venues over here - is it too soon for me to get excited about a potential UK tour?????????

Jela

Richard + Jela

Re: UK visit????

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:13 pm

The tour page shows 24th July - Twickenham Folk Club!!!! I'm there!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:36 am

Good for you! I wish I could be there! :mrgreen:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:55 pm

...and so do we wish you could be here.

Jela

Richard + Jela

Re: UK tour - 2011

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:59 pm

Well it IS happening, tickets are on sale for UK shows in July:

23rd July Turners Hill House Concerts

24th July Twickfolk

Now, I wonder, is my diary free on those days? Ha ha…..

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:29 am

sure, check your diary, but unless it is mark erelli actually playing wimbeldon, i think you can reschedule for ellis. :P
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

twickfolk2

Postby twickfolk2 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:01 am

There hasn't been much publicity as yet for the UK dates so I thought I'd drop in to give this thread a bit of a bump and try to raise a bit of interest. The dates are almost upon us.

There are plenty of tickets still left for the Ellis Paul/Lizanne Knott gig at our place this coming Sunday. We can easily accommodate at least twice as many people as have bought so far. If anyone knows people in London over the weekend please feel free to point them in our direction. Please spread the word...

Thanks!

Here's the link

Tickets http://www.wegottickets.com/event/113618
Website http://www.twickfolk.co.uk/

Richard + Jela

Re: UK tour - July 23-24, 2011

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:14 am

The first concerts are later today!!! Looking forward to them and to tomorrow's TwickFolk show.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:36 am

Hope you have fun! I know you'll be hearing some terrific music! :-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:09 pm

Whilst EP was in the UK last weekend, he recorded a session for Bob Harris on BBC Radio 2 which is being broadcast later tonight. He will be on at approx 1.10 am (Sunday) which is 8.10 pm Boston time (Saturday).

Here's the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/ and click on 'listen' at the appropriate time.

It is available for 7 days after broadcast but only in the UK.

Jela

PS I will post about the shows!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:15 am

It was a great session. EP played live - 'Rose Tattoo' and 'Hurricane Angel' both strong choices for showcasing his material on the programme.

Talked about returning to the UK on an annual basis - he knows that there will be people here who will hold him to account on that front!!! Hee hee

His choice of fave song for Bob Harris to play was Richard Thompson's 'Vincent 1952 Black Lightning' - a superb choice, love Richard Thompson.

Joined in the session by UK touring partner Lizanne Knott, she sang 'Too Much Love' - she is a Bob fave and he's played her songs a lot!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:29 am

Darn! I didn't get home yesterday from my grandson's 2nd birthday party in time to listen in! :-(

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:41 pm

I am able to listen at the link below! The Ellis Paul/Lizanne Knott segment starts a few seconds past the 1 hour, 22 minute mark. :-)

Lizanne Knott in Session with Ellis Paul

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:50 pm

That's great Karen, I thought that the 'listen again' facility wasn't available anywhere apart from the UK.

Glad you found it!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:55 pm

Jela,

It was Google that found it!!! :-)

Listening to Richard Thompson as I type!!

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:05 am

Folks,

Here's Lizanne Knott, Bob Harris and Ellis Paul on July 25, 2011. Photo by Evan Jaccodine.

The link to the segment with Bob Harris on BBC2 radio that I posted above will be available until Sunday, Aug. 7, 2011.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Here's my review of the recent house concerts Ellis played in the UK. Sorry for the delay in posting (have been rather busy!). I will also post about the TwickFolk show, idc.

Ellis Paul, Turners Hill House Concerts, Sussex. July 23rd 2011

When Ellis Paul recorded his latest studio album THE DAY AFTER EVERYTHING CHANGED he financed it via a fan funding initiative; at the highest-level contribution, a ‘reward’ was a private concert, which meant he had a commitment to fulfil in the UK, for a Sheffield based contributor. On the back of that trip he played two shows, afternoon and evening, for the Turners Hill House Concert series. It’s been five years since Paul’s last UK visit; fans from as far away as Newcastle and Dorset made the journey to catch him in this delightfully intimate setting.

With a new Taylor guitar, he opened the afternoon show with Rose Tattoo the lyrics of which resonate with many; set against the backdrop of a man returning home after losing his job, the song focuses on his wife’s belief that, together, they will pull through the tough times. The next song was Roy Orbison’s Crying which Paul, at the invitation of Orbison’s widow, Barbara, recorded for a video tribute to acknowledge what would have been Orbison’s 75th birthday this year; Paul’s version is right up there with the original – he has no problem singing falsetto!

Recently celebrating twenty years in the business, Paul played some anniversary shows in the US for which he learned a selection of cover songs, so we heard Buddy Holly’s Everyday, Joni Mitchell’s The Circle Game and John Prine’s Angel from Montgomery. Paul is known for his own strong lyrically literate style, so dipping in to his own catalogue he played a selection from his latest recording – Dragonfly, a gentle love song, Annalee an autobiographical look back at the summer before college beckoned, and Waking Up To Me, also inspired by real-life - driving through the night, to get back to a loved one.

A new song Kick Out The Lights based on a story about Johnny Cash kicking out stage lights at the Grand Ole Opry had the audience exercising its vocal chords! It’s destined to become a favourite sing-along during live shows.

The World Ain’t Slowin’ Down was used in the Jim Carrey film ‘Me, Myself and Irene’ and that with three songs from 2005’s AMERICAN JUKEBOX FABLES completed the afternoon show. Paul is a seasoned performer who plays extensively in the US and has honed his craft well. Relaxed in front of a crowd, with a quick and ready wit, he is able to connect easily with his audience. At one point he took a camera from a fan as he’d spotted a photo opportunity whilst singing - he and the audience reflected in a chrome light fitting made for an interesting picture!

The evening show featured just three repetitions from the afternoon (Dragonfly was a request). Opening with Maria’s Beautiful Mess from 2002’s THE SPEED OF TREES, a song included regularly in his set-lists he went onto to play one of the few cover songs he has recorded - Mark Erelli’s The Only Way. Written in response to 9/11 tonight it was dedicated to Norway – the horrific bombing in Oslo and shootings in Utoya were still unfolding.

One of Paul’s heroes is Woody Guthrie; God’s Promise is a song to which he set music to Guthrie’s lyrics. The Beatles’ Let It Be was another cover. Lights of Vegas a co-write with long time friend Kristian Bush (Sugarland) was introduced with an amusing story of how Bush insisted it have ‘na, na’s’ only winning the argument when pulling rank by virtue of his Grammy award! The not too often played Speed of Trees was a nice surprise as was the Christmas song Snow in Austin.

An all too rare a visit from a hugely talented singer/songwriter ended with the title track The Day After Everything Changed from his latest album. He undertook to return annually to these shores and I amongst many others very much hope he doesn’t break promises! Jela Webb

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:05 am

Thanks Jela! It was worth waiting for! :-)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:55 am

I am catching up with my reviews and here is mine of the show at Twickenham Folk Club, as posted on 'No Depression'

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:08 pm

So nice to read! Thanks Jela! :-)

KarenZ

Return to “3000 Miles”