Tribute to Dick Pleasants - Sanders Theater - Jan. 7, 2011

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Tribute to Dick Pleasants - Sanders Theater - Jan. 7, 2011

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:37 pm

Folks,

From the WUMB website:

For the past forty years, Dick Pleasants has been a mainstay on Boston radio, as well as part of the Boston and New England music community. Over the years, he has staunchly supported dozens (maybe even hundreds) of musicians and has encouraged the launch of dozens of folk music venues. Boston has a reputation as a great music city. Dick Pleasants is one of those individuals who helped create that image.

For 40 years Dick has shared the music he loves with us. Many of his friends think it’s time for us to return that love. On Friday, January 7, 2011 at 7:00pm at Sanders Theater, several musicians and many of his friends will pay tribute to Dick in a one-of-a-kind, and once-in-a-lifetime celebration of a “really special guy” and “one of the most down-to-earth people you’ll ever meet.”

A Tribute to Dick from his friends include:

Jonatha Brooke
Brother Sun (Greg Greenway, Joe Jencks, Pat Wictor)
Buskin and Batteau with Marshall Rosenberg
Antje Duvekot
Jonathan Edwards
Patty Larkin
Lori McKenna
Ellis Paul
Tom Rush
You can be part of this magical evening:

Purchase tickets* now for yourself or as a holiday gift at the Harvard University Box Office for $50 each at 617-496-2222 or http://www.boxoffice.harvard.edu.

A limited number of VIP Tickets which includes center-rows seating along with a meet & greet with Dick Pleasants and the performers after the show are available for $100 each by calling the WUMB Radio offices at 617-287-6900 during business hours.

Dick has worked at several radio stations over the past 40 years from commercial radio stations WCIB on Cape Cod to WATD in Marshfield and WBOS in Boston, to public radio stations WGBH and for the past 15 years at WUMB.

What's your favorite memory of Dick on the radio over the past 40 years? Send us an e-mail of your favorite Dick Pleasants-on-the-radio story or something special he's done to help local music and musicians. We may print it on our Dick Pleasants Tribute page.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Re: Tribute to Dick Pleasants - Sanders Theater - Jan. 7, 2011

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Wow..... I need to get my calendar cleared.
Jeff

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:44 pm

I already bought my ticket today. This is going to be one awesome concert/event in tribute to one of the best. Definitely not to be missed.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:38 am

Would love to have some details about this show if anyone who was there would share them! :-)

According to the WUMB website, info about a DVD of the show is forthcoming! Yay! :-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:10 am

Morning Karen,

I came across a few really nice photos from the night when Ellis was tagged on facebook. I'm not sure a link to the photos would work here as only people on facebook would be able to access them. Course, everybody's on facebook these days. Least that's how it seems! If folks are, they can probably see them over on Ellis Paul's facebook page. From the looks of things, it was some lineup, and some night. Oh! Now I remember where I saw the photos. Neale Eckstein's a facebook friend of mine. He's an avid music photographer and he captured some of the night.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:26 am

Nice article in today's Boston Globe with quotes from Mr. Paul and others:

Folk shows its love for Pleasants by James Reed

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:32 am

Nice article.. Don Conoscenti is in the background of the picture.. GO DON :)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 am

Early birds gets the words posted first. In the newspaper bidness it's all about SCOOP and gettin it out there first. Ain't about that here, though. But if it were, let the record show, I was 15 minutes behind ya after Jonatha Brooke shared the link on facebook and before I even read the article (I did look at the picture ~ GO DONCON GO! :D ) I had shared it on my facebook wall and then came here to post the link....

Spread the news, there's an angel outside of Pittsburgh. 8)

Enjoy the day, all.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:36 pm

Here's a link to tributes from Mr. Paul and others on the WUMB website:

LISTENER Tributes - A Pleasant(s) Evening at Sanders Theater

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:32 am

Nice editorial in today's Newton Tab about the Dick Pleasants' tribute with EP mention:

Letter: ‘Quality broadcasting on a shoestring budget’

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:47 pm

Here's a video sampler of the forthcoming DVD. Can't wait to see the whole thing!

Preview Sampler -- Dick Pleasants Commemorative Concert

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Can't wait, thanks for sharing the link..
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:01 pm

What a great line up and the trailer is of such good quality, sound and vision.

Jela

Return to “3000 Miles”