Club Passim - Dec. 30-31, 2010

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Club Passim - Dec. 30-31, 2010

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:19 pm

Folks,

Tickets for this year's New Year's Eve shows go on sale TODAY at 12pm for members of Club Passim and on Oct. 27 at 12pm for non-members.

Click HERE for tickets.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Dec. 30-31, 2010

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Folks,

Just a reminder that tickets go on sale to the general public today! These shows tend to sell-out quickly - especially the 10pm show on Dec. 31st - so don't wait too long if you want to be there!

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Re: Dec. 30-31, 2010

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:13 pm

Sadly, we won't be going this year but just know that you'll all have a lot of fun and will post reports and photos for us to read and see. You will won't you?

Wonder who will be opening the shows this year?

Jela

bonuela

Re: Club Passim - Dec. 30-31, 2010

Postby bonuela » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:21 pm

jela, you and richard will surely be missed, but it is one heck of a commute.

susan and i have our usual seats for the 2 shows on the 31st. i'm going to have to see how things go before committing to the 30th. work has really been getting in the way of my music lately. :-)
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:50 am

I've never been to the New Years shows, so I will remedy that situation this year. Will be at Dec 30th 7pm show and Dec 31st 10pm show. Looking forward to ringing in the new year with all the EP fans. Carol

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:09 am

Carol,

Yay! Glad to hear you'll be there and hope to say hello in person. Warning: be prepared to have a really fun time! :-)

KarenZ

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:01 pm

Karen,
Thanks. I'll be glad to meet you in person as well. I'll be at table 10 on 12/30 at 7pm and at table 15 on 12/31 at 10pm. Please come say hello, or tell me where you're sitting. I hope I can handle that much fun. I've never been to an Ellis Paul New Year's Eve concert, but the CD from a few years ago made it sound like a wild time. I'm ready and think I can handle that much fun! Can't wait for the concert and the new Farrelly Brothers movie.
Carol

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:30 pm

We'll be there at least for the 10 PM 12/31 show. Not sure about the others yet.

In case you need any more incentive, I have it on pretty good authority that a certain tall Irishman will be playing at both shows the 31st.....
Jeff

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:35 pm

jeff, might your source be a tall irishman? :P

i do hope that's true. it is so rare that we get to see flynn now-a-days.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:49 pm

A good reporter never reveals his sources......
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:12 pm

Folks,

According to the Passim website, Katrin is opening the two shows on Dec. 30. No opener listed (yet) for the 31st.

Seats remaining:

Dec. 30 - 7pm: 2 dinner; 26 GA
Dec. 30 - 10pm: 64 dinner; 36 GA

Dec. 31 - 7pm: 18 dinner; 22 GA
Dec. 31 - 10pm: 0 dinner; 22 GA

Get 'em while you can! :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:26 pm

glad to see the tickets are going so fast.

that late show on the 30th is always the last to go!!

can't wait to hear what they do for cover songs. ellis said they were working on it, but wouldn't give anymore info no matter how i begged and pleaded.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:30 pm

Ticket update.

Seats remaining:

Dec. 30 - 7pm: 2 dinner; 21 GA
Dec. 30 - 10pm: 49 dinner; 36 GA

Dec. 31 - 7pm: 5 dinner; 19 GA
Dec. 31 - 10pm: 0 dinner; 18 GA

Get 'em while you can! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:33 am

Still no opener listed for the 31st.....and nothing listed on Flynn's website..... :-(

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:31 pm

according to susan, flynn is listed in the print version of the passim calendar. i have not seen it myself, but i KNOW she wouldn't play with my emotions that way. :mrgreen:

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:15 am

For what it's worth my source did not say the tall Irishman was opening, just that he was playing as part of both shows......

Mags and I have table seats for the 7 PM, and general seats for the 10 PM.
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:33 am

I'm up early this morning and am starting to pack my suitcase. Hopefully Boston Logan isn't experiencing the delays that the NYC airports are.

See you all there! :-)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:40 pm

PotatoPicker wrote:For what it's worth my source did not say the tall Irishman was opening, just that he was playing as part of both shows......

Mags and I have table seats for the 7 PM, and general seats for the 10 PM.

according to ellis' recently updated "tour" information, flynn is opening. unless you are speaking of a different tall irishman. you can never have too many :P

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:58 am

Safe travels to all attending the NYE shows whether it be by car, bus, boat, train, foot or plane.

Look forward to your reports and photos and videos :o)

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:35 pm

Enjoy the shows, everyone ~ Happy New Year!!!
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:54 pm

Really psyched about tonight's 7pm show and Friday's 10pm show. In fact, as of now, I have one extra table 15 ticket for Friday's 10pm show. I've offered it out and am waiting for responses, but if anyone on this board is interested, please let me know. You can email me at sarshik@comcast.net. Carol

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:52 pm

the shows are being streamed live right now!!!!!! and it's video too!!!! :mrgreen:

http://concertwindow.com/

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:47 am

Too cool Bonnie ! Great link !
Jeff

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:30 am

The 7pm show was absolute magnificent. Ellis was in top form, as were Don, Rad, and Mike. The set was just beautiful. I got home on time to hear the 10pm show being streamed, and they even added "Home" to the ending. Absolutely gorgeous.

I originally offered one extra ticket for Friday's 10pm New Years Eve show. Since then, I have learned of a death in the family, and need to fly to Florida on Friday night, and won't be able to use either of my two tickets. So if anyone would like two free tickets at Table 15 (the front table) for the 10pm show on December 31st, you would be welcome to have them for free. I don't want them to be wasted. Passim said someone would just have to come in and give my name, and they could have the tickets. So, let me know if you want them, and just one set of two people use them. I'd like Ellis to have people sitting in the front row, and happy new year! Carol Sarshik sarshik@comcast.net

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:35 am

Carol.

Sorry to hear about the death in your family. Safe travels. Also sorry that I totally forgot to seek you out at table 10 last night. :oops: Thanks for letting folks know about the extra tickets.

KarenZ

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:33 pm

Hi Karen,
Thanks for your good wishes. I was going to try to look for you but my mind was preoccupied once I learned of my mother's husband's death. Patty just emailed me to say she would like the tickets, so as of 11:30am, the tickets have found a good home. Please all sing the na-na-na-na's during the Lights of Vegas with extra enthusiasm tonight since I won't be there to help out.

Carol

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:49 pm

Carol, I will echo Karen's sentiments here on the loss in your family. Please accept our condolences. Someone once wrote life is what happens when we're busy making plans. Always leaves me a little nervous when I make them. Glad you enjoyed the show last night, live and online. I posted on my facebook today about the tickets for tonight, and you're right, they have found a good home. Safe travels, and again, heartfelt condolences.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

care

Postby care » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:30 pm

Hey all

I was a the 10pm last night, it didn't look like it was totally sold out but not many seats were left. Great show as always!

Passim is now working with concertwindow.com and streaming the concerts. From the sound of the survey last night it didn't seem like many people were hardcore in attending all 4 shows this year?

Streaming the 7 oclock show now and it seems like the same set - i thought in past years he had changed it up a bit from show to show?

cheers and happy new years.

care

Jimmy Pollard

Postby Jimmy Pollard » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:17 am

Maureen and I were very disappointed we couldn't make it to a Passim New Year's Eve show last night or tonight. It ends our run of 7 consecutive years accompanied by various close friends, adult kids and relatives through those years. In fact, evil does fool with the best laid plans! We really didn't realize what a tradition it had become for us until we had to miss this year. But there's next year!!! However...

We caught most of tonight's late show online and it was awesome! Excellent quality stream!!! Sound was great! That familiar vibe came though! Even caught some barely audible (for better or worse) Clemicisms and Clemissitudes!!!!! Which brings me to...

Thanks for the good times, Ellis! Thanks for your constellation of compadres from Don, Rad, Mike, Karen, Ralph and others I'm missing who contribute to making it all happen. Thanks for being the center of the constellation of friends I've made through your music over the years!!!

See you next year in person!!! I'll be the guy wearing his most excellent "got rad?" t-shirt!!!!

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:26 am

It was a packed show (as usual) for the New Year’s Eve 10 PM spectacular. I am trying to read my pen scratches from the back of a Passim envelope – hard to write at all when you can barely move. The boys were in fine form – they seemed more energetic than what I saw over the web on the 30th – perhaps it was the presence of Flynn, or the promise of champagne in the middle of the show, or closing out another year, or the lively crowd. Whatever the cause, they were great.

Flynn opened:

Let the Show Begin
I Wouldn't Want It Any Other Way
Contrition (with Rad)
Walking In Line (with Rad)
Desert Angel
Strange
White Horses (with DonCon)

After a brief intermission, Ellis took the stage along with DonCon, Rad, and Michael Clem.

Maria’s Beautiful Mess
Alice’s Champagne Palace
Lights of Vegas
Dragonfly
Walking After Midnight / Things Change

The covers…….
Take On Me (a-ha)
Footloose (Kenny Loggins)
I Want You to Want Me (Cheap Trick)

Champagne Toast to a long, rousing Auld Lang Syne

3000 Miles (with Flynn)
Hurricane Angel (on to the piano)
Heaven’s Wherever You Are (with word that this is likely to be the end credits song in the next Farrelly Brothers movie, Hall Pass, which could feature up to 8 songs from Ellis)
Once Upon a Summertime

The Heckler (a cappella, as he had moved back to the guitar)
Sweet Home Alabama (what ????? the band jumps in to counterbalance The Heckler)
Take All The Sky You Need
World Ain’t Slowing Down
Snow In Austin

It was great to see Karen, Susan, Patti, Bonnie, MonicaR, and a couple more whom I am forgetting (hey – it’s almost 3:00 here…..). It is always wonderful to see all of you at any shows – you each bring something unique and extra to the experience.

A must give a shout out to the Club Passim web broadcast of their concerts through Concert Window (http://concertwindow.com/). I watched some of Thursday’s late show there, and was very impressed with the high quality of the audio and the very solid video. Well worth it if Passim is holding a show you can’t make.
Jeff

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:44 am

The live streaming was a great initiative and we watched the early NYE show - so good to be able to share the experience if not in person then through cyberspace.

Happy New Year.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:56 am

Jela,

So glad it worked out that you were able to watch the early show! It was great fun - especially when I learned that you guys were watching across the pond! :-)

Jeff, thanks for posting the 10pm setlist! The early show was pretty much the same. The crowd sure loved the covers. :-)

It was terrific seeing so many of the board "regulars". :-)

JimmyP, sorry you couldn't make it. We missed you. Sure hope to see the "got Rad?" t-shirt again sometime! :-)

Heading to the airport for my flight home so must close for now. More later.

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:47 pm

Jimmy, Maureen, Monica M., Richard, Jela, Paddy and Sue Ellen, you were all missed, but there in spirit!!!

To the rest of the gang, as always, it was GREAT to see you and ring in the New Year together!

Jeff, glad I finally got to meet you live and in person!

Ellis, Don, Rad, Mike and Flynn..... you guys are the best! Thanks for everything!

xxoo,
MonicaR

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:48 pm

P.S.

Carol, thank you so much for the tix! Patti and I had you in our thoughts all night!

sarshik

Postby sarshik » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks Monica and Patty. I was able to watch the 7pm show on-line while waiting for my flight to Florida. While I couldn't be at Ellis' show at midnight, I did have "happy new year" shouted out by the pilot at midnight on Jet Blue. And then there was a rebroadcast of a Paul McCartney concert at the Appollo Theater playing on XM radio on the plane starting at midnight. So, if I can't be with Ellis, then Paul McCartney is a close 2nd. Kind of like two years ago when Ellis finished 2nd to Bob Dylan in the WUMB voting.

Happy New Year EP fans! May it be a good one for all. Carol

Return to “3000 Miles”