Oklahoma shows - Oct. 8, 9, 10, 2010

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

emilyg

Oklahoma shows - Oct. 8, 9, 10, 2010

Postby emilyg » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:05 pm

I can't wait for the shows next month!! I wish he was doing a family show again this year. I have a soon-to-be 2 year old (next week) that can't stop talking about Ellis. She no longer allows lullabies at bedtime...only Ellis songs and throws a fit if we don't play Ellis in the car and if she doesn't get to dance to him before dinner every night. I'm beginning to wonder if she's going to be like the 3 year old crying over Justin Bieber! She told her grandma that she's playing Ellis at her party this year. Maybe we should have started an 'Ellis fund' instead of a college fund so he can play in person at her party next year! :)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Oklahoma shows - Oct. 9-10, 2010

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:09 am

Emily,

Your wish has been granted! Ellis will do a family show at The Depot on Sunday afternoon! Olivia will get to see her musical hero in person again! :-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:50 am

Karen, are you serious?! I don't see it posted. OMG!! That will totally make her day if she gets to hear him!!!! I was going to try to sneak her in that night before the show just so we could try to see him before the adult show started. She will be on cloud 9, although it will probably make the obsession worse! ;) I hope it's not a bad thing that a 2 year old is completely infatuated. Elmo has fallen off the pedestal and been replaced by Ellis! :)

Will you be here that weekend? I hope we get to see you!!!!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:22 am

Yes, I am serious! I'm sure it will be listed officially eventually.

And, yes, you will see me there! :-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:31 am

Thanks for working your magic!! I can't wait to see you!!! Let me know if you need a place to stay, you are always welcome.

You made our day!! I'm blowing you tons of kisses so hopefully they reach you!! ;)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:34 pm

Emily,

Our joy was short-lived. Turns out there's a poetry reading at The Depot in the afternoon, so no childrens' show after all. I had it on very good authority and I am very sorry to disappoint. :-(

KarenZ

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Karen,
That is sad news. Wish we could create our own elsewhere!!! I'm glad I haven't mentioned it to Olivia. The rest of the family will be disappointed though. They each want a copy of TDR to have since she wants to listen to it all the time and have everyone sing to her!

Thanks for trying!!!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Oklahoma shows - Oct. 8, 9, 10, 2010

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:46 am

Finally getting around to editing the dates in the subject of this thread.....since a Friday, Oct. 8 show has been added to the Oklahoma weekend! EP is returning to the El Reno Vintage Guitar Shop! Yippee!!! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:25 pm

Another terrific show last night at Oklahoma Vintage Guitar in El Reno, OK.! :)
Ellis was accompanied by Don Conoscenti after a nice opening set by Jake Moffat and band. Jake had been offered an opening slot for Lucinda Williams last night, but opted to open for Ellis instead! :shock: The atmosphere of the venue - performers surrounded by literally thousands of guitars - is really quite spectacular. One of the venue staff persons commented to me that there was such a hue and cry after Ellis and Don performed there in June that they had to bring them back this quickly. That's saying something folks!

The setlist (which I will eventually post to setlist.fm):

rose tattoo
the only way
lights of vegas
hurricane angel (piano)
once upon a summertime (piano)
annalee (unplugged in aduience)
this is where all good trees go (adlib song about all the guitars hanging on the walls! I got it on video!) :-)
dragonfly
alice's champagne palace
the world ain't slowing down
the heckler (I ot it on video!)
maria's beautiful mess
jukebox on my grave
blacktop train (unplugged in audience)
love is a curious thing (played on the $9000 Taylor guitar that Ellis has been lusting after!)

It was great seeing emilyg again! :)

Went to the National Cpwboy Museum today - a place I really love to visit - and got a picture of Gene Autrey's 1939 Gibson guitar. Will post some pictures and videos when I get back home.

Heading to The Blue Door tonight! Yippee! :-)

More later!

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:24 am

Jake Moffat has great taste! Loved Lucinda Williams' early work but am afraid that she's lost me with her more recent stuff.

Thanks for the report Karen, look forward to the photos and videos you mention.

Ellis and Don always have such fun on stage, it's infectious and getting to play that guitar - wow!

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:45 am

Just after my last post I was 'YouTubing' and found this - 'The Lights of Vegas' from the Vintage Guitar show. Great.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:36 am

Couldn't help but chuckle at the sight of Ellis retuning the guitar on the fly at the beginning. Had me wondering if the guitar wasn't just a little nervous with all the other guitars in the room. :P
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:16 pm

Jela,

Thanks so much for posting the link to TonyG's YouTube video! I meant to do that last night but was too pooped! "Vegas" is one of Tony's favorite songs, so I'm not surprised it was the song he chose to record! :-)

Now....to the report from the beautifully-refurbished Blue Door! :shock: Another great night of music and fun! Opener Melissa Greener, from both Nashville and Austin, played a terrific opening set. Ellis and Don went into the audience for "Annalee" followed by "this land is your land". (A smart move in Oklahoma.) ;-) The crowd was on their feet by the song's end. Wow, wow, wow. We were treated to a nice long set (19 songs!) and I had a terrific front-row seat.

The setlist:

rose tattoo
the only way
lights of Vegas
Hurricane angel (piano)
dragonfly (I really wanted to be Monica Taylor!) :-)
Alice's Champagne Palace
take all the sky you need (after Ellis finished this song someone in the audience shouted "play it again!")
Annalee (unplugged in audience)
this land is your land (unplugged in audience)
Once Upon a Summertime
the heckler (after someone requested "freebird") ;-)
3000 miles
she was :-)
the world ain't slowing down
love is a curious thing
walking after midnight/change
Encore:
snow in Austin

Got to meet the 1st place winner of the Ellis Paul video contest who was there, so that was cool. 8)

Ellis commented about being chastised for using the word "ain't" so many times in "she was" (a song that I am convinced could be a HUGE country hit). On the drive home I was thinking about that....and, actually....maybe he should replace "ain't". I can definitely hear Tim McGraw singing "she weren't worth the whiskey." Hee....hee.....hee....

Another show tonight at The Depot in Norman. Will report in when I can; flying home tomorrow afternoon....

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:14 pm

Fantastic notes from the road as usual! Please tell me they still play with The Blue Door behind them? It's a bucket list venue for this googlin fool. Have yet to hear The Heckler and can't help but think Ellis could maybe sell the ready made song to every performer out there to have in the arsenal when that ever lovin request for Freebird comes flying in.... :P Safe travels, Karen, and thanks ever so much for the recap. She weren't worth the whiskey.....I like it. :)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:41 am

Paddy,

Yes, the Blue Door is still the backdrop...with the Route 66 sign above the door. :-)

Another great show last night. (Forgive me for being so repititious!) :-) Terry "Buffalo" Ware sat in with his electric guitar on a few numbers...including the encore song "The night Hank Williams Came to Town" which I recorded. Will post it when I get home. Lots of mentions of Becky Grider. The Winter Wind series this season is being dedicated to her....and Ellis requested that a photo of Becky be placed directly in front of him where he could see it ....so that was sweet. Becky was the primary person responsible for this show. Ellis commented that the 40-50 shows that he has played in Oklahoma were all - in some way or another - because Becky was pulling strings. :-) He said he's certain she directing a group of heavenly harps....that never need tuning.
Anyway....it was nice seeing so many familiar faces and friends.

The setlist:

rose tattoo
the only way
dragonfly
Alice's champagne palace
Maria's Beautiful Mess
hurricane angel (piano)
lights of vegas
Walking after Midnight/Change (with Terry Ware)
BREAK
take all the sky you need
words
cotton's burning
The heckler
jukebox on my grave
annalee (unplugged in audience)
this land is your land (unplugged in audience)
once upon a summertime
3000 miles (with Terry)
blacktop train (with terry)
the world ain't slowing down (with Terry)
Encore:
the night Hank williams came to town (piano; with Terry)

20 songs! 8)

That's about it for now. Gotta start loading up my suitcase and will be heading to the airport early this afternoon.

Until the next road trip! :-)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:05 am

Karen, ask Ellis' permission to write Notes From The Road II. :wink:

Another fantastic recap ~ I Live For This!!! :D

Safe travels always! Looking forward to videos. 8)

Ellis spoke at the Passim Marathon shows of bringing some of the old songs back in the setlists so it's Great to see when and where that's happening. The Only Way, Words, YES!!! Cotton's Burning from the new record was an instant new favorite for me. I need a roadtrip! :oops:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:54 am

Just really endorsing what you say PITP. So pleased to see some 'oldies' in the setlists. Karen, thanks so much for reporting back - always love reading show reports. Such nice comments about Becky too.

Have a good and safe flight.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:12 pm

Interesting to see which oldies but goodies will resurface. Ellis admits to somewhere in the neighborhood of ten per cent memory retention. The songbook Karen has kept all these years surely helps.... :D

Most fans have personal favorites, and I think Ellis asked audience memebers at the Passim Marathon shows to chime in online at the website or facebook which songs they'd like to see return.

I'm remembering a conversation I had with Jeff Black after an intimate performance at Lois and Greg's House Concert in NJ where we talked about Ellis Paul and Vance Gilbert covering him on their Side of the Road album featuring fantastic covers of their favorites.

Jeff heard about it after the fact and was honored they'd chosen his song to be on the release. On that note, I would love to see Ellis bring Jeff Black's "What Do I Want?" back into the mix..
paddy

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:07 am

Karen, great recap of the shows!! It was great seeing you as well (as always) and we had such a fun time Friday night and I was very thankful I was able to get away for the Sunday show. I miss seeing all my Winter Wind friends!! Brent and I really wanted to make it to the Blue Door but it didn't work out for us on Sunday. It's been way too long since we've been there.

I hope to send our pic soon but Brent did something to the camera when he was trying to turn the flash off and it deleted all of our photos. :cry: He's going to try to retrieve them tonight so hopefully it will work!

I can't wait for the next round of Oklahoma shows and hopefully there will be a children's show!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:57 am

Folks,

Here's a one-of-a-kind video from last Friday night's show at Oklahoma Vintage Guitar in El Reno, OK. :)

Ellis Paul - This Is Where All Good Trees Go

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Other than the thought of Roy Clark rollin over in his grave at the banjo dis and that he just lost the bluegrass crowd I thoroughly enjoyed Ellis' latest display of an active imagination at work and play.

:P
paddy

Return to “3000 Miles”